Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
No, all questions have gotten a defensive response and failure to read the entire post. I know this applies to some people, yet the only responses are attacks. Predictable.

I started this post. Start one of your own and ask me about my views. I have no problem clarifying.

How can you feel strongly about something you can't even defend?
Thats because hon most don't know what they believe in, most just repeat what is told of them and others just want to be on the winning team. Give it another 4 years and if a republican president is elected and becomes very unpopular. All these so called CDF Cons with be screaming off with his head and wearing blue.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Thats because hon most don't know what they believe in, most just repeat what is told of them and others just want to be on the winning team. Give it another 4 years and if a republican president is elected and becomes very unpopular. All these so called CDF Cons with be screaming off with his head and wearing blue.
You and Op must have some imaginary enemy.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:48 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
I have a few questions to ask you, just out of curiousity. **DISCLAIMER: I'm not generalizing all of you. If the views I stated do not apply to you, do not respond.**

1. Your logic is against government funding for the homeless. Assuming that you went straight to college after high school and had family support, how do you feel about people without that? A person that grows up without the encouragement family. No one helps pay for his college, no one teaches him necessary life skills, he is basically set up to fail from an early age. You were encouraged, pushed and motivated by your well-to-do family. No wonder you go on to get your dream job of CEO.
The homeless man, on the other hand, is living in a tent. Can you honestly say that you don't give two sh*ts about this person's suffering, it's his own fault, and you aren't willing to pay taxes to help him? In a nutshell, all you care about is how he affects YOU? For Christians, what sense does this make? If you had been in even remotely difficult situations, you would have more sympathy.
I'll gladly answer question #1. My neighbor and I had a similar discussion just the other day...

First off... you ASSUME wrong!
#1. I'm not against ALL government funding for the homeless.
#2. I did not go to college nor have family support. The day I got married at age 18.. I, and my husband were on our own.
#3. My family were hardly well-to-do.
#4. CEO? Are you mad? I'd like to see 1/2 of you work as hard at our 70/80 hour per week jobs that hubby and I have undertaken in our 34 years...

It is not that I don't care about the homeless. What I do have instead is a limited discretionary amount of my family budget that can go towards charity. All charities. Not just the ones that YOU deem deserving. So every time I'm hit with another liberal tax and spend idea no matter how thinly veiled it is or trying to make it seem like its for my own good... the homeless lose. Every time my taxes go up the homeless lose. Every time I get hit with another fee tacked onto my Electric bill or phone bill that is government mandated... the homeless lose. Every time you give our tax dollars to some fraud... the TRUE homeless lose. You see we are pragmatist's. No matter how you on the left do accounting it never balances. Someone is going to lose. And you justify it by saying how "greedy" or selfish we are. You couldn't be more wrong. I'll give the shirt off my back to someone who needs it. But... and this is a BIG but... that person better LEARN to love that shirt. Take care of that shirt. But if they lose that shirt through their own stupidity, stubbornness, or plain irresponsible behavior... don't come asking for another shirt. Their sh*t out of luck.......

Last summer we were staying in an RV park right on I-40 east of OKC. Every day there was a man there panhandling. His sign read...."Homeless.. please help." He would panhandle in a Love's truck stop parking lot. Which by the way had a "Help Wanted" sign in the window the whole darn summer! My friend and I got used to seeing him almost daily, so we decided to help. We went to the store and bought soap, food, a toothbrush, toothpaste.. things hopefully to make his life a little more comfortable. When my friend gave him the bag... it got tossed back in her face. Apparently... he wanted nothing more than cash... and then we watched him go get into a moderately nice car. Not all the "homeless" are as destitute as you would have us believe. And those that are are welcome to get the help they need. But I think at this point... I'm the one who should designate which homeless should get my money. Not you.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You and Op must have some imaginary enemy.
Hahaha! Smart, goodlooking and funny all in one body.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
I have a few questions to ask you, just out of curiousity. **DISCLAIMER: I'm not generalizing all of you. If the views I stated do not apply to you, do not respond.**

1. Your logic is against government funding for the homeless. Assuming that you went straight to college after high school and had family support, how do you feel about people without that? A person that grows up without the encouragement family. No one helps pay for his college, no one teaches him necessary life skills, he is basically set up to fail from an early age. You were encouraged, pushed and motivated by your well-to-do family. No wonder you go on to get your dream job of CEO.
The homeless man, on the other hand, is living in a tent. Can you honestly say that you don't give two sh*ts about this person's suffering, it's his own fault, and you aren't willing to pay taxes to help him? In a nutshell, all you care about is how he affects YOU? For Christians, what sense does this make? If you had been in even remotely difficult situations, you would have more sympathy.

2. As for illegal immigrants, caucasians originally took this land from the native americans. I wouldn't exactly call this legal, would you? Yet it's the only reason you are here. Explain this.

3. You are perfectly okay with the continuality of war and fighting, yet you are unaware that whatever problems we are facing globally, you are part of the cause! War is not what gives us our freedom anymore. We have freedom, our country is what it is and will remain that way. Yet you remain so guarded towards any external parties.

4. You fight and argue with an iron fist, unaware of how paradoxical your antics are.

If you don't mind, please answer honestly and be civilized.

They're just questions.
1a) Colleges should assume all of the risk. They should be directly loaning the money to the students. Currently they have the greatest business model ever.... Have the government loan students $50,000+ and take that $50,000+.... Guaranteed revenue that has absolutely nothing to do with the product they create.

1b) Most Republicans don't mind their tax dollars helping those who actually need it, now the problem becomes finding out whether or not that person on the corner is actually homeless. Believe it or not, some people will gladly stand on a corner and receive goods & money for doing absolutely nothing.

2)Explain what exactly? Whether or not we think it was legal? Do you know laws change over time?

3 & 4) Not questions.....

Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Ha! I knew I wouldn't get any direct answers. Go figure. Ask me anything you want, I have no problem defending my views.
Ok, why do you have a burning desire to rip quietly gestating babies out of the womb?

Your questions were just as obtuse.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:05 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
1. Homeless people have homeless shelters as an option. However, most have mental illness, drug and alcohol problems, or a history of violence. There are rules at homeless shelters.

a. I am from a poor background and am wealthy
b. I paid for my college
c. my father did not give a damn about my education, as he was too busy drinking and working

2. We FOUGHT for America and defeated the Indians. The native Americans could have developed better weapons and tactics, thus saving thier land. Illegals can raise an army and attempt to
take the US.

EVERY nation has borders and immigration laws. Open borders provides chaos and financial consequences which no nation can endure.

As you are so concerned about the illegals, I would urge you to donate $200K to provide shelter, housing, food and education for ONE OF THEM. If not, you are a hypocrite.

3. I am opposed to US engaging in foreign wars. We should use regional assets to support our global interests.

4. What the heck are you talking about?
Watch it All American, who are you calling "we". We fought? Oh really now. Hmm
So I take it that you pass no judgement on the invaders from Europe. The Invasion was A OK.
What kind of weapons would a, let's say, Iraq require in these times to rise up and save their land? We all know what kind of weapons of mass destruction that would have to be, don't we.

I take it that it would be A OK for the illegals who were also on this continent - along with our natives - before the europeans ran upon this land like gansters, to try and take "US" (whatever that means) in similar fashion.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I actually put together a detailed response but I misused the quote option and lost it. I will try again later. However as for question number 2, I will defer to an intelligent, verbose response under a similar situation from President Obama: "We won"

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

For the majority of the homeless, it is their fault. the classic liberal view of a homeless person is of a suffering disadvantaged soul who got a bad break but the reality of the homeless is that they lost what they had through drug abuse. Virtually all of the homeless are alcoholics and drug abusers. That's not opinion, that's statistical fact.

Now that's not to say that the people don't deserve help. I'm just saying that the idea that homeless are there because they just couldn't catch a break in life is false. That is certainly true for some percentage of them, but it is not the case for the homeless problem on the whole. And that being the case, if you give them money they will simply use it to make the same bad choices that got them where they were in the first place. And then you'll have to give them more money. And more. And more.

And that's how you get the permanent underclass that every welfare state in the world has. The liberals of every welfare state say how they are just being compassionate and helping people get a leg up. And yet it never works. Every welfare state on the planet has a multigenerational poverty problem.
Quote:
2. As for illegal immigrants, caucasians originally took this land from the native americans. I wouldn't exactly call this legal, would you? Yet it's the only reason you are here. Explain this.
Okay, sure. If the Mexican army wants to invade the United States and wins the war then they are more than welcome to annex the land. Otherwise, no explanation is necessary because your comparison is fundamentally flawed.
Quote:
3. You are perfectly okay with the continuality of war and fighting, yet you are unaware that whatever problems we are facing globally, you are part of the cause! War is not what gives us our freedom anymore. We have freedom, our country is what it is and will remain that way. Yet you remain so guarded towards any external parties.
We are not "unaware" that we are part of the cause. We know perfectly well that's your theory. We disagree with your theory. We think your theory is naive and dangerous. And Obama's bungling in foreign affairs has simply strengthened our position. Did the Arab Spring turn out with democracy and freedom and sweetness and light? No. Did the Russian Reset usher in a new era of peace and cooperation? No. Did leaving Iraq result in a friendly stable Middle Eastern nation? No.
Quote:
4. You fight and argue with an iron fist, unaware of how paradoxical your antics are.
Uh, no. It isn't conservatives who instituted free speech zones. It isn't conservatives who support the fairness doctrine. It isn't conservatives who have speech codes. It isn't conservatives who try to get people fired from their jobs like Paula Dean and the CEO of Mozilla when they don't like those peoples' political views. The arguing with an iron fist is your side of things, not mine. Your side is the one that tries to silence speech you don't like.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:

If you don't mind, please answer honestly and be civilized.

They're just questions.
Does your caretaker know that you're on the computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies