Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
What does that have to do with anything. The fact is... let's say that a minimum wage earner now makes 250.00 more per week. How much of that 250.00 will he get to keep that benefits him to help bring him up and out of poverty. How much buying power will he receive? My guess is little to no benefit. He'll still be spending the same percentage of his income, no?

It has to do with prices following increase in MW; I do not expect much cost impact personally. Rent increases following MW increase more likely due to landlord greed than to cost pressures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Your neighbor's mortgage is irrelevant.

You pay as much as someone would pay to live in one of the more walkable US cities. You also pay more for a room than it would cost to rent a house in Missouri.

Oh, and my previous neighborhood had a convenience store 1/3 mile away, a bar across from the convenience store, a corner market and taqueria three blocks further, another corner market and a laundromat six blocks past that, and nothing commercial for another half mile.

Is that walkable?

Old 08-31-2014, 03:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
OMG my neighborhood is NOT walkable. I do have one ripoff corner market two blocks away (at which I have never shopped), a convenience store 3/5 mile away, a gas station across the street from the convenience store, tire store nearby, and nothing else commercial for two miles. There is a bus line (ends weekdays 8 pm, does not run on Sunday) and a different bus line at the convenience store/gas station intersection.

You call that walkable?
No, I call Chicago walkable. You pay $500/month and have 3 other roommates. For that price you can live in Chicago.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:31 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,146,413 times
Quote:
It has to do with prices following increase in MW; I do not expect much cost impact personally. Rent increases following MW increase more likely due to landlord greed than to cost pressures.
You don't buy food, or clothing? Personal Hygiene Items? Fuel for a car? You do not expect to have any personal impact because you buy nothing?????

Old 08-31-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You don't buy food, or clothing? Personal Hygiene Items? Fuel for a car? You do not expect to have any personal impact because you buy nothing?????

Sure, but most of the stuff I buy comes from a better-paid workforce e.g. oil workers are usually paid well above minimum wage, so if gas prices necessarily skyrocket, I won't blame minimum wage.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,123 times
Quote:
Landlord greed...lol. Why do you think everything is a charity? Money doesn't just come off some magic tree to pay for the building/mortgage, upkeep, insurance, taxes, ect. If you have enough demand for your business/property, then the price of that will be more.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
No, I call Chicago walkable. You pay $500/month and have 3 other roommates. For that price you can live in Chicago.

You mean...

Chicago Chicago, that toddlin' town?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKn7vkSMBc

Old 08-31-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Landlord greed...lol. Why do you think everything is a charity? Money doesn't just come off some magic tree to pay for the building/mortgage, upkeep, insurance, taxes, ect. If you have enough demand for your business/property, then the price of that will be more.

Do you realize that if it were an off-the-shelf product, competition would restrain greed?

That is, people would still make profits doing it without the windfall any landlords enjoy today.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,146,413 times
Quote:
Sure, but most of the stuff I buy comes from a better-paid workforce e.g. oil workers are usually paid well above minimum wage, so if gas prices necessarily skyrocket, I won't blame minimum wage.
That right there is the problem. You see any adjustment to the minimum wage only how it will affect you. You fail to see the larger picture. Have you never heard of Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I can say this with ease, because we are the oil/gas workers you talk about. I can tell you unequivocally, that we will be affected as much if not more than you. Every single aspect of our jobs hinge on others. Supplier's, the general buying population, down to a single solitary laborer on one of our jobs. We have to purchase oil and gas just like you do... they don't give it to us for free! So my buying power will go down, and thusly, it'll be hard to justify the expenses of the job. We pay our own travel expenses! And honestly... if it comes down to that... the gas companies will just raise the amount paid to the supervisor's, foremen and other key personnel and hire one less laborer... I guarantee it. While it's harder to do the work with one less laborer it's impossible to do the job at all without those with the knowledge of how to get it done, so they will in turn get raises too. Oh... so guess what... yep... there goes your gas prices......

Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,806,123 times
Quote:
Do you realize that if it were an off-the-shelf product, competition would restrain greed?

That is, people would still make profits doing it without the windfall any landlords enjoy today.
Landlords always have competition...how much more competition could they have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies