Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:11 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,604,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Women wearing make-up isn't natural either. So this kid's got a pretty good case until the SCDOT bans all makeup from driver's license pictures, regardless of what you personally may think.
Well when the drivers license states that the driver is a male and the person look like a woman, it can cause some problems and confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,678,082 times
I need a photo before taking a stance...

If he looks like Ms. Doubtfire I would have to side with the DMV.

Yeah, dude looks like a lady.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:24 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,678,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If it is so hard to tell what a person looks like when they have some lipstick on then why does the state allow women to wear make up in their photos? Also unlike a full head covering or even a head dress like the one sikhs wear eye shadow doesn't cover up a basic facial feature. Hair, eyes, and the full face are still visible even if s/he has make up on and you know it.
the state allows women to wear it because it doesn't change their sexuality. If a woman had make up like The Joker on I would side with the DMV.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 AM

5,667 posts, read 5,102,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
...he is just trying to make a stink about it..

Stop trying to cause a big scene and cost the state money for not bending to your will.
But these creatures thrive on drama and need it to survive as much as we normal folk require air and water!

Quote:
Women wearing make-up isn't natural either. So this kid's got a pretty good case until the SCDOT bans all makeup from driver's license pictures, regardless of what you personally may think.
I agree that many women in makeup are completely unrecognizable sans makeup. However, two wrongs don't make a right. Women with or without makeup are not trying to present an altered portrayal of their most basic nature as a female. The subject in the story certainly is trying to present itself as something completely different than what it is. No matter what it feels like inside, it's a male and should present as one in legal identification documents. Save the freakshow garb for after the trip to DMV.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,050,228 times
I hereby declare that I am a Sasquatch going forward. I will dress as one for my license photo because damn it, that is who I am.....for now.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,152,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
the state allows women to wear it because it doesn't change their sexuality. If a woman had make up like The Joker on I would side with the DMV.
This right here! Most (key word here being most) woman use make-up as a way to accentuate certain features and to satisfy you men. To look pretty. Believe me when I say, it's not necessarily a "fun" or cheap habit to walk around all day with a crap load of stuff on your face. Why do you think when we're home relaxing we usually don't put much if any on? As a woman... I can totally understand and if the DMV wants me to take a picture without makeup so be it. (Going to be scary as can be to go into the DMV but hey... )

Old 09-03-2014, 11:26 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,353,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Why?
Why? Because half the population is allowed to take a DL picture wearing makeup. Why shouldn't he?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,967,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
But these creatures thrive on drama and need it to survive as much as we normal folk require air and water!

I agree that many women in makeup are completely unrecognizable sans makeup. However, two wrongs don't make a right. Women with or without makeup are not trying to present an altered portrayal of their most basic nature as a female. The subject in the story certainly is trying to present itself as something completely different than what it is. No matter what it feels like inside, it's a male and should present as one in legal identification documents. Save the freakshow garb for after the trip to DMV.
That's some fine rationalizing right there. The state either has to allow people to wear make-up, wigs and other items they change their appearance, or they don't. What's the standard for what is an acceptable amount of eye shadow? Do you tell a tell a butch woman that she needs to grow her hair out so that her appearance matches the gender listed on the license? Should a jewish woman be required to remove the wig that she wears as a head covering because it's color and length changes her appearance?

Just because you, and a worker at a local DMV doesn't approve of this kid's gender identity, or lack thereof, doesn't mean you can dictate what they do and do not wear unless you do it for everyone.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:08 PM

778 posts, read 825,961 times
Quote:
Just because you, and a worker at a local DMV doesn't approve of this kid's gender identity, or lack thereof, doesn't mean you can dictate what they do and do not wear unless you do it for everyone.
That's the crux of it right there.

Everyone seems worried about the picture not matching the person, but here's the thing, again: This is how Chase dresses day to day. If their picture shows them with a very male appearance, THAT will not match how they look. So if that's really what people complaining are concerned about (it isn't), then they should be arguing that Chase should be allowed to wear makeup.

And as pointed out, you can't allow one sex to wear makeup and not the other. It's both or neither.

And finally...how many of you have ID pictures that don't match the way you look now? Shoot, my dad's license picture is from when he just got out of the Army. I can tell you that 35 years and 80 pounds later, it doesn't look much like him at all.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:22 PM

5,667 posts, read 5,102,108 times
I see that the inmates wish to run the asylum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies