Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:55 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times

Advertisements

What's to egg on? The fact that there were some 70 people shot in Chicago over the holiday weekend?
Our cities are almost as dangerous as those in Iraq....

Should the media ignore our problems and they would just go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
LOL... Do I get out of the house? Probably a heck of a lot more than you. I can guarantee that I've lived more places in this ole U.S.A. than you probably have. Don't be silly... of course the media didn't create the problems... but they sure love showing it and egging it on. Take a look at the major's and tell me that most of it isn't propaganda. Pick a network... left, right, extreme. You can watch what ever network you want that coincides with your particular view. Never mind the truth and just good honest reporting of the facts anymore. And if the one-sided views are not enough, we'll make stuff up so it's good television. And the whole world watches. And then wonder why other's have such a wrong view of us.

I'm not saying we should "sugar-coat" things, but we sure don't have to put that crazy out there on display either...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are ghettos in all cities of size. Tourists rarely see them. US ghettos trend more murderous. The US generally trends more murderous than Europe, regardless of ghettos.

Yes, the US has a murder rate is FOUR times higher than the European Union average and THREE times higher than Canada. Our ghettos vastly contribute to our super-high murder rate.

Here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._homicide_rate

Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
LOL... Do I get out of the house? Probably a heck of a lot more than you. I can guarantee that I've lived more places in this ole U.S.A. than you probably have. Don't be silly... of course the media didn't create the problems... but they sure love showing it and egging it on. Take a look at the major's and tell me that most of it isn't propaganda. Pick a network... left, right, extreme. You can watch what ever network you want that coincides with your particular view. Never mind the truth and just good honest reporting of the facts anymore. And if the one-sided views are not enough, we'll make stuff up so it's good television. And the whole world watches. And then wonder why other's have such a wrong view of us.

I'm not saying we should "sugar-coat" things, but we sure don't have to put that crazy out there on display either...
Once upon a time " the news" was well, news and generally void of extreme sensationalism and opinion. Cable news was a game changer. News became entertainment. The more sensational and opinionated, the higher the ratings. The masses ate it up and networks saw the business opportunity for sponsorship. The news is now a huge profit center.

Next up was the internet. The more sensational the headline, the better. The headline does not need be supported by the content of the story. Slanted speculation gets reported as fact. The masses are inundated with information and don't get into the weeds.

Political noise is heavily edited and remarks are void of context to fit the bias of the report. The propaganda shapes and validates viewers' perceptions.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
What's to egg on? The fact that there were some 70 people shot in Chicago over the holiday weekend?
Our cities are almost as dangerous as those in Iraq....

Should the media ignore it and our problems would just go away?
You just don't get it do you? 70 people were shot in Chicago and what do we see... Obama on the golf course. A reporter inciting racism. After a natural disaster who do you see? Some comedian said it best.. it's not the normal suffering folks you see... it's the woman in the pink-sponge rollers in her housecoat rambling about the "wind" taking away her trailer. And she makes international news. This country loves its crazy....

Perhaps maybe the media should tell us the facts about 70 people in Chicago and help lead the discussion on fixing the problem instead of inciting more violence just for higher ratings....

Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I was 18 years old when I got my first taste of Canadian micro managing of their population. We went into a liquor store to buy some beer. They not only checked our ID's, they copied our license number, address, name and exactly what we bought and on clipboard. I saw them doing that with everyone that came in.

Even at 18, that burned my American butt that they were sticking their nose that far into people's business.

I know it's just a little detail, but I think it says a lot about that country and a lot about America.

I love freedom, even though we've lost too much since 9/11
That's ridiculous.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Yes, the US has a murder rate is FOUR times higher than the European Union average and THREE times higher than Canada. Our ghettos vastly contribute to our super-high murder rate.

Here:

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is a substantial difference in gun laws between the US and Europe.
There's a black market for firearms, everywhere. None are as robust as the US and most certainly not limited to ghettos.

Let's just choose to not turn this into a gun debate.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You just don't get it do you? 70 people were shot in Chicago and what do we see... Obama on the golf course. A reporter inciting racism. After a natural disaster who do you see? Some comedian said it best.. it's not the normal suffering folks you see... it's the woman in the pink-sponge rollers in her housecoat rambling about the "wind" taking away her trailer. And she makes international news. This country loves its crazy....

Perhaps maybe the media should tell us the facts about 70 people in Chicago and help lead the discussion on fixing the problem instead of inciting more violence just for higher ratings....
You have made a good point. The mainstream media is some countries are more likely to focus on the heroic efforts of their governments and lean towards projecting their leaders in a positive light. One is not likely to see Putin portrayed as anything but all knowing and powerful.

On the other hand, tabloids in some countries have always trended towards the sensational. The gloves come off on the internet. Many focus on the insanity in the US more so than their own business.

The national media tends to focus on Chicago even though it is not the deadliest place in the US. Why is this?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-04-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 08:44 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How they run their nations is none of our business.

We can't even run our own effectively.
I agree. So what makes you think our government can run health care effectively?

Old 09-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I guess you never been to Europe have you? No, they're not soulless or insufficient. They live in clean, safe cities cities devoid of ghettos typical for American landscape. As far as innovation is concerned they are not far behind. I wish people would actually travel before voicing their opinions on foreign countries.
I guess you've never been to Europe. Try going to the outer ring of any European city and see how they live there: they are predominantly poor non-western immigrants.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You call it reliance on government. We call it agreeing to pool our money so that everyone has a better quality of life and nobody suffers.
Works for us.
No suffering in Canada? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies