Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What is "making money" to you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Contractors have a lot of write offs......so the plumber could be doing very well and show no income.
So can doctors with private practices, yet not that many plumbers can even approach an income of an MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I personally know 3 plumbers here in Austin, that make minimum $1000 a day.
Sure they do. lol

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I dont. NFL players make more than neurosurgeons and Noble Prize in Medicine winners. That is way more absurd and nobody is complaining.
80,000 people do not pay $100-500 a ticket to go see a neurosurgeon do their job. 20 million people do not turn on a TV and tune into a neurosurgeon's day at the office. NFL players are in way higher demand and shorter supply than neurosurgeons, thus, they command a much higher level compensation.
Quote:
Why such an insane idea that by giving minimum wage workers a raise to $15 anybody who has been making $15 is being screwed over? What dont people focus on what THEY make instead of what other are making?
Hypocrite much? Your presence in this thread, and almost every post by you is directly concerned with what other people besides YOU earn. Why don't you focus on what you make instead of on what retail/service people make? Heck, everyone arguing with you including myself are arguing from the standpoint that we are not worried about what other people make, and other people shold worry about themselves. You're not only focused on what other people earn, you're arguing to have others harmed in order that some people earn what you feel they should.
Quote:
Some people are OK with bagging groceries and some would rather save lives. Do you think that money is the only incentive? If that was the case we wouldn't have any teachers...
Money is not the only incentive to work, but if one chooses an occupation that has low wages, well, they chose to have less money than others. We are each paid according to a) what we and our employer feel is mutually acceptable, based on b) what our particular market will bear for the job according to the immutable laws of economics.

There's just no getting around that. People are paid what they agreed to be paid for the work they do. If every grocery bagger decided to walk off the job tomorrow in protest over their wages, what do you think would happen? I'll tell you what - we'd all say "see ya!" and bag our own groceries. That's the value that those folks have to most of us....NOT MUCH. That they are there is pleasant, but far, far, far from necessary. And bagging groceries is a skill that can be learned in about 3 minutes, so it isn't like I can't find cheap replacements for anyone who walks off the job.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
I dont. NFL players make more than neurosurgeons and Noble Prize in Medicine winners. That is way more absurd and nobody is complaining.

Why such an insane idea that by giving minimum wage workers a raise to $15 anybody who has been making $15 is being screwed over? What dont people focus on what THEY make instead of what other are making?

Some people are OK with bagging groceries and some would rather save lives. Do you think that money is the only incentive? If that was the case we wouldn't have any teachers...
You are more than welcome to move to North Korea where everybody makes the same amount of money.

Minimum wage law is nothing but forcing people to pay above fair market rate for services.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Sure they do. lol
$250 labor to change an outside dripping faucet. 1 hour job.
Same with a kitchen or bath faucet.
$500 labor to change out a hot water heater. 1½ hours. Most of that draining the old water heater

They do 4-5 calls a day. 5 days a week. It adds up.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
$250 labor to change an outside dripping faucet. 1 hour job.
Same with a kitchen or bath faucet.
$500 labor to change out a hot water heater. 1½ hours. Most of that draining the old water heater

They do 4-5 calls a day. 5 days a week. It adds up.

Sure. Sure. lol

Old 09-16-2014, 11:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
So can doctors with private practices, yet not that many plumbers can even approach an income of an MD.
Yet.....I do drilling water wells.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
I do know all of that, yet would you still claims that NFL's player skill set is higher than that of a neurosurgeon or a Nobel Prize winner in physics?
I've never argued that skills alone are part of compensation. Your skills relative to your job in your market according to supply and demand...that's what sets your compensation. A neurosurgeon and a football player are in wildly different markets, and their individual skills would mater within those markets but are unrelated to other markets.
Quote:
It a huge difference. I am concerned about well being of other people. You obviously are not.
You are in no way concerned about the well being of other people, because there's a chunk of "other people" that you wish the government to initiate force upon, to their detriment, in the name of other people who you have decided to concern yourself with.

And that was not the quote I was referring to. You admonished another poster to worry about what they make and stop worrying about anyone else....which given your constant bleating and babbling in this thread about what other people earn is both ironic and hypocritical. You're desperately worried about what other people earn, so you may want to not scold others for the same thing.
Quote:
And the laws of economics tell us that employers can pay people less knowing that foodstamps and other forms of welfare will supplement their incomes.
The employee must still agree to be paid that wage. It is never anything but voluntary. Don't blame employers for an explosion of the welfare state that allows people to work and collect benefits. Blame, in order, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, and LBJ. They built about 90% of the current welfare state, so argue with them on its merits and problems.
Quote:
Of course there is a way around it. That's why most industrialized rich nations have high minimum wages.
They also have extraordinarily tough immigration law, homogenized cultures, much smaller populations, and far less spending on foreign relations and national defense than we do. Oh yeah, and in almost every one of the countries, the effective tax rates are higher per individual, the unemployment rate is higher at the LOWER END OF THE EMPLOYMENT SPECTRUM, and the cost of living is higher. But hey, good for them, they have a high minimum wage.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
I personally know 3 plumbers here in Austin, that make minimum $1000 a day.
Quote:
Sure they do. lol
Hey that's me!! Just not in Austin. It's not unusual money though. Back in the '90's we needed to bring in $4500 per week where I worked, but that was closer to Philly. Where I live now, the companies are thrilled with $3000 per week.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Nope. Experience is irrelevant. Most fresh out of school medical students make more than most plumbers with 20 years of experience. Sorry, experience is not and should not be a factor.
Apples and oranges. Instead, the comparison should be between a plumber with 1 year of experience versus 20 years of experience. Or a doctor fresh out of medical school versus a doctor with 20 years experience.

ALL is relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies