Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What I wanna know is, where do old pay phones go when they are taken out of service and removed from their installations (shopping centers, supermarkets etc). Are there warehouses full of pay phones?
IMO....scrape metal piles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What I wanna know is, where do old pay phones go when they are taken out of service and removed from their installations (shopping centers, supermarkets etc). Are there warehouses full of pay phones?
Junkyards or in scrap metal facilities. I think some are used as collectibles as well...

Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
? Where should the money come from?
It comes from the same place it has always come from where I worked, the revenues. Where I've worked in the past, the better the company did, the better we did as employees. I'm not saying 15 an hour, I'm saying there is nothing wrong if a company decides to pay above minimum wage, the average McDonalds worker makes 9.00 an hour already.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
It comes from the same place it has always come from where I worked, the revenues. Where I've worked in the past, the better the company did, the better we did as employees. I'm not saying 15 an hour, I'm saying there is nothing wrong if a company decides to pay above minimum wage, the average McDonalds worker makes 9.00 an hour already.
I don't think anyone said it was wrong for people to make more money...they said it was wrong to force people to pay more money than the market value. Now if you are talking profit sharing, then I guess the employees would all have to invest in the company to be entitled to that...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
So the employers need to fork out more money basically? Where do you think they would get their money from?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So the employers need to fork out more money basically? Where do you think they would get their money from?
From their unlimited profits of course (and some of them think that they are entitled to a "share" of the profits too like Stalin is in charge around here...)

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I don't think anyone said it was wrong for people to make more money...they said it was wrong to force people to pay more money than the market value. Now if you are talking profit sharing, then I guess the employees would all have to invest in the company to be entitled to that...
I don't think they should be forced either, but the more successful the store is, the more successful the employee usually is. Not even profit sharing, just a higher wage. Through personal experience most employers will keep a good employee and give him or her raises by performance of said employee and the store where they work.

Market values are different from store to store, if I own two franchises one store kicks butt and brings in 8.5 million a year, my employees are gonna make more money than my other store doing 1.5 million a year.

Last edited by James420; 09-16-2014 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: S

Old 09-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I don't think they should be forced either, but the more successful the store is, the more successful the employee usually is. Not even profit sharing, just a higher wage. Through personal experience most employers will keep a good employee and give him or her raises by performance of said employee and the store where they work.

Market values are different from store to store, if I own two franchises one store kicks butt and brings in 8.5 million a year, my employees are gonna make more money than my other store doing 1.5 million a year.
Okay, cool. You are not advocating force, so there is nothing wrong with what you are saying. I would think that a smart business person would reward employees for doing a good job or increasing profits, but I don't think anyone should be forced to...it is their business after all.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
EXACTLY. Let's remember, payphones were fairly common and most places had one bank per shopping center until the late 1990's/early 2000's because everyone had a cell phone so a cell phone isn't a luxury itself, it's the latest Android, iPhone, Fire Phone or Windows phone that is the luxury. In many cases, cell phones can be just as expensive as a landline AND much more convenient. Remember me talking about payphones earlier, 20 years ago you could have called your place of work at about every other mile on a highway if you got in a wreck. Now if you don't have a phone, you have to borrow one because the phones are much more rare. This is why a BASIC cell phone plan and a BASIC phone is indeed a need.
Need? Well, if you NEED it, maybe you should work to GET it. Isn't food a NEED? How long until the folks that love to give away other people's money start demanding a liveable grocery allowance?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Need? Well, if you NEED it, maybe you should work to GET it. Isn't food a NEED? How long until the folks that love to give away other people's money start demanding a liveable grocery allowance?
Well grocery allowance is known as food stamps. The only issue is it goes to just poverty levels so it is rather easy on a minimum wage job to no longer qualify for it (just like Medicaid prior to the Obamacare expansion.) Also from what I've seen, it is pretty hard to get on. That and people would assume that and rent are the #1 & 2 sources of spent paychecks from jobs or (Godforbid) unemployment and SSD checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies