Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Gotta look at it from their viewpoint... these black kids surround themselves with this segment of black culture - this is what being black is to them. White people - in their world - don't speak like them... don't do what they do. The white people that DO break into their circle do what they do and speak like they speak - like Eminem for example. On the other hand, Clarence Thomas... anathema. In that sense, being black is not a skin color - it's a sub-culture.

In reality - we don't have racial issues - we have cultural issues that is masked in race.

Wow really never thought of it this way, until you now mentioned this. I could see where the cultural issues could play a roll.

But still no excuse for not wanting to make the most of your life and to get a good education. But see things a bit different now, when you put it this way.

I have friends of all races I really do, and to me here in 2014 what a shame that at times, it seems we have made no progress.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Depends on who the black person is.
Sometimes it does. I know a few Black people of West Indian ethnicity. They never caught crap for "acting White", at least in suburban Atlanta. It has mainly been American Blacks who catch it. I think some of it might be expectation. I was talking to a friend one night about some of our experiences in school. He had a harder time wondering how I went through alot, as he never did. We both understood that many factors could have played a part. He was alot taller than me. He is also of West Indian descent so he might have been seen as "interesting" or there would have been different expectations of him. Someone might have understood why he didn't sound "ghetto".

Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sometimes it does. I know a few Black people of West Indian ethnicity. They never caught crap for "acting White", at least in suburban Atlanta. It has mainly been American Blacks who catch it. I think some of it might be expectation. I was talking to a friend one night about some of our experiences in school. He had a harder time wondering how I went through alot, as he never did. We both understood that many factors could have played a part. He was alot taller than me. He is also of West Indian descent so he might have been seen as "interesting" or there would have been different expectations of him. Someone might have understood why he didn't sound "ghetto".
What would def mess with both the hood rat AND the white supremacist minds would be some of their kinds meeting up with an English dude of Black African family. The Brit accent def throws people off.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What would def mess with both the hood rat AND the white supremacist minds would be some of their kinds meeting up with an English dude of Black African family. The Brit accent def throws people off.
I could imagine it might. Interestingly enough, there are both hood rats and white supremacists in England.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I could imagine it might. Interestingly enough, there are both hood rats and white supremacists in England.
Agreed. Tho to me they're all still "Brits".

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Will Dr. King’s dream ever become a reality? I see our nation continues to be divided by race. Sad
the cruelty and violence is not happening for the most part between the races but in the community itself.
dr king is not here to talk about it but his personal aide, jessie jackson, has spoken on it many many times only to be shouted down by his critics. many profess to follow dr king, a christian man, but few actually follow him and those that do, are openly scorned --- not by the southern monsters of the past-- but by members of the community here and now.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 09-10-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Tho to me they're all still "Brits".
Which is a subliminal part of the point. Britain has its own version of hood rat. It is rooted not a racial sense, but a class sense. One big difference between hood rat in the USA and hood rat in the UK is this. The current hood rat culture in the USA has its roots in the rural South. While it was mainly class based, it became racial. In the UK, it is very class based. While there are many Black British youths that are into hood rat culture, alot of White Briths youths are into it as well. It has more of a class element than a racial element.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Which is a subliminal part of the point. Britain has its own version of hood rat. It is rooted not a racial sense, but a class sense. One big difference between hood rat in the USA and hood rat in the UK is this. The current hood rat culture in the USA has its roots in the rural South. While it was mainly class based, it became racial. In the UK, it is very class based. While there are many Black British youths that are into hood rat culture, alot of White Briths youths are into it as well. It has more of a class element than a racial element.
Agreed. The PWT Brits are called "chaves" or something like that.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 16-year-old high school girl in Rock Hill, S.C. told police that another high school girl taunted her on a school bus and then beat her up after she got off the bus. The assailant allegedly was angry at the victim because she was behaving “too much like a white person.”

http://news.yahoo.com/high-school-gi...035032786.html
US media loves this type of stories
Anything that will make Americans go into "racial warfare" is good news for US news media.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 AM

268 posts, read 241,275 times
Those bullies were jealous that she was gonna graduate and go on to university while they sit at home and collect welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies