Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nearly every law inflicts someone else's beliefs on others.
I believe abortion is murder and I have a responsibility to stop murder.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Its not for me to decide what other people do with an unborn fetus

Old 09-10-2014, 05:51 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
"Abortion is murder"

It's not murder in the sense that it is not killing a sentient being. A fetus is unconscious for most of its existence and even in the later stages it is not fully conscious either and it the early stages a fetus doesn't even have an active brain.
So why do we not accept abortion at week 30 then? What about an unconscious person who is likely to wake up, is he worth nothing too?

I don't get why pro-choice people feel it is so important to legitimize their choice. Why can't they just admit it is a selfish choice they do because it is practical. If birth was not hurtful, and you could easily give away your child, then there wouldn't have been a debate at all.

The thing is, we are all murderers in some way. We all kill animals, and we don't do much to save lives outside our country. It is not all or nothing. I don't mind people taking abortion, because people die all the time. But don't pretend it is worth nothing. When you want to keep the baby, it is worth everything to you.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:24 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
There have been a number of anti-abortion threads on this board as of late and they all reiterate the same tired arguments. They get a bit tedious since they are the same simplistic arguments over and over again. I will try to tackle these common arguments with my own take on those arguments.
I see. And you don't think that "anti abortion people really just want to control women's bodies" isn't a tired and simplistic argument?

Let me ask you a question - how would you like it if over and over again people told you what your "real" opinions were? If what you really thought didn't matter at all, they just ignored it and assumed they know more than you do what your own thoughts are? Do you think that might get tired and tedious?
Quote:
"Abortion is murder"

It's not murder in the sense that it is not killing a sentient being. A fetus is unconscious for most of its existence and even in the later stages it is not fully conscious either and it the early stages a fetus doesn't even have an active brain.
Irrelevant. You aren't a sentient being when you're sleeping or when you're in a coma but you're still a human being and killing you would still be murder.
Quote:
For example the law and most people consider someone who is brain dead to be legally and effectually dead because they are incapable of any brain activity. Hence the phrase "brain dead". Now, if someone who's brain has ceased to function is in effect not a person what about a fetus that has yet to form a brain? There is absolutely no brain activity in the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. That also happens to be when the vast majority of abortions take place.
Invalid comparison. Someone who is brain dead isn't waking up and is damaged in some way through injury or sickness. If you're in a coma and might come out of it then you aren't declared legally dead. A developing fetus has nothing wrong with it.

What you're saying is like saying that a car that is under construction and a car that has been wrecked in a traffic accident are the same thing. It's apples and oranges. One will not and can not ever be driven again. The other one just isn't finished yet.
Quote:
Let's also look at the practical aspect. If you believe that abortion is murder in the same sense that a women who is five weeks pregnant goes down to her local women's clinic is morally the same as Susan Smith than you need to take it to its logical conclusion which is that roughly 33% of all women are murderers. That is correct. About 1 in 3 women have had an abortion at some point in their life. Some had it for financial reasons, some were pressured into it by a boyfriend or family member, some did it because they weren't ready for a child, some had it because they were raped, some had it for medical reasons, and did it because the didn't want to have children at all. There are a number of reasons a woman could choose to have an abortion. They range from petty to sensible to sympathetic, but it is ultimately her choice and the fact of the matter is that if you are in a room with several women, it is almost certain that at least one of them had an abortion and that includes if it is a church group or the Republican National Convention.
Then they are murderers. Sorry. Appeals to emotion are weak arguments. You aren't going to get me to decide that an action isn't murder just because a lot of people did it. Like your initial argument about sentience, it is entirely irrelevant.

The one and only question is whether an innocent human life was terminated. If yes, it's murder. If no, it isn't murder. That's it. End of story. Murder is the termination of innnocent human life. Not the termination of innocent human life unless one of three people have done it, then it's okay. Not the termination of innocent human life unless that life wasn't sentient at the time, then it's okay. It isn't okay. Ever.

And it being murder is reason enough to ban it, so I snipped the rest of your stuff because I don't care about any of it one way or the other. Murder is wrong and should be illegal. Period.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
You sanction murdering unborn babies. Just own it because all of what you wrote is BS.
Such a well thought out and in-depth reply to the points made by the OP, Noted

Old 09-10-2014, 07:50 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
You sanction murdering unborn babies. Just own it because all of what you wrote is BS.

Well now, Ed...

Sounds like you should avoid having an abortion.

Of course, it's none of your business if it's not your pregnancy.

Carry on.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well now, Ed...

Sounds like you should avoid having an abortion.

Of course, it's none of your business if it's not your pregnancy.

Carry on.

We all have a responsibility to stop someone murdering an innocent child. It is our business.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
And there you have it folks. What is it going to cost me? That is the bottom line and we all know it.
Oh, too, too, too funny coming from a right winger. Conservatives base everything on "how much is it going to cost me?" Can't have universal health care--it might cost me something. Can't provide subsidies to help low income people buy health care--it might cost me something. Can't provide food stamps to hungry people--it might cost me something. Can't subsidize the cost of education and provide more grants for students--it might cost me something. Can't raise minimum wage--it might cost me something. Can't extend unemployment benefits--it might cost me something.

All of these things that these fetuses will need AFTER they are born are simply too costly for right wingers to even consider. But if you choose not to abort your terribly deformed fetus because the rightwingers' God says so, supporting that child's painful life of surgery after surgery to keep them on the planet--THAT they will pay for. Because their God says so.

This is why control of the government needs to be wrested from the far right and kept away from them forevermore.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, too, too, too funny coming from a right winger. Conservatives base everything on "how much is it going to cost me?" Can't have universal health care--it might cost me something. Can't provide subsidies to help low income people buy health care--it might cost me something. Can't provide food stamps to hungry people--it might cost me something. Can't subsidize the cost of education and provide more grants for students--it might cost me something. Can't raise minimum wage--it might cost me something.

All of these things that these fetuses will need AFTER they are born are simply too costly for right wingers to even consider. But if you choose not to abort your terribly deformed fetus because the rightwingers' God says so, supporting that child's painful life of surgery after surgery to keep them on the planet--THAT they will pay for. Because their God says so.

This is why control of the government needs to be wrested from the far right and kept away from them forevermore.
In all fairness, this thread was started by a "Right-winger".

Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We all have a responsibility to stop someone murdering an innocent child. It is our business.

Agreed, if you understand that a fetus is not a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies