Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 PM

605 posts, read 804,400 times

Advertisements

... after seeing what the governor and state legislature have done to the state? Seriously, all of Kay Hagan's prospective Republican opponents are like Todd Aiken-level idiots. It makes me angry just thinking about what they have done to a once proudly progressive state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,887 times
So you vote for a "party' not a person? There in lies the root of the problem.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Ahh, Kay Hagan...Democrat. In a radio ad that moron is actually bashing her Republican opponent for calling Obamacare a great idea. Imagine that! No wonder you poor libs are confused.

Kay Hagan says GOP rival Thom Tillis called Obamacare 'a great idea' | PolitiFact

Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,497 times
Proudly Progressive? LOL. I would never describe North Carolina that way. I would like to know what horrible things those "evil" Republicans have done? You mean like, requiring an ID to vote, ohhh the horrors...

Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
I am not an expert on NC, but for at least fifty years democrats have had much of the control in state politics and NC went massively in debt, had way above average unemployment, and education got worse and worse. This is the first time NC has had a Repub governor and majority state legislators.

Since the Repubs took over two years ago, the economy is bouncing back, and they just had the second highest increase in unemployment drop in the country.
NC Shows Country's Second Largest Employment Increase

Where the Repubs should be ashamed is in their recent loosening of environmental restrictions on Duke Energy
Coal and the recent environmental disaster with the Dan River. Thankfully, there was such an outcry, the Repubs are reversing some of their irresponsible policies. The Dems were just as bought off for decades by Duke.
Both parties in this country are corrupt and incompetent - it is sadly naive to think one party will save a state.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,440 times
Vote for the Mule or an Elephant. Is this not a Circus?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:16 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ahh, Kay Hagan...Democrat. In a radio ad that moron is actually bashing her Republican opponent for calling Obamacare a great idea. Imagine that! No wonder you poor libs are confused.

Kay Hagan says GOP rival Thom Tillis called Obamacare 'a great idea' | PolitiFact
Lmao, I think it is you who is confused. Thom Tillis is running against a Tea Party favorite that has about a 0% chance in a general election name Greg Brannon. The objective of the ad is to get Republicans who don't like Obamacare to vote for Brannon and not Tillis, now when I saw that I thought to myself "God that is so obvious no one would possibly be stupid enough to fall for it, I mean anyone should be able to see that for what it is a cheap ploy to boost Brannon."

Well I have to admit that Kay Hagan has folks better pegged then I do.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-27-2014 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I am not an expert on NC, but for at least fifty years democrats have had much of the control in state politics and NC went massively in debt, had way above average unemployment, and education got worse and worse. This is the first time NC has had a Repub governor and majority state legislators.

Since the Repubs took over two years ago, the economy is bouncing back, and they just had the second highest increase in unemployment drop in the country.
NC Shows Country's Second Largest Employment Increase

Uh do you actually live in North Carolina. I am guessing not because the exact opposite is happening. We now have a $221 million + tax shortfall and such that the governor cannot keep his promise to give teachers their first raise in years. We also have been hemorraghing jobs. The only reason our unemployment rate is lower is because the legislature passed laws to kick hundreds of thousands of people off the roles so they just aren't counted. In otherwords we count our unemployment differently then the 49 other states, which is why despite two months of consecutive job losses in January and February our unemployment rate fell sharply (Yes Virginia, during that period North Carolina was growing in population, losing jobs, but yet has a lower unemployment rate. If you can make sense of this w/o looking at the blatant manipulation let me know). Republicans are dealing with the economy hear like they dealt with sea level rise, which is to say they passed a bunch of laws telling rewriting what the figures were rather then changing the problem

RALEIGH: Broad teacher pay hike unlikely, NC political leaders say | State Politics | NewsObserver.com
NC employers shed thousands of jobs in February; unemployment rate dips :: WRAL.com

And then you have education lets just say that is where the GOP has really screwed the pooch, NC has serious issues with teacher flight. 97% of teachers say moral is low and even wealthier urban counties are experiencing massive teacher flight.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/04/...-increase.html

Quite simply if your rosy picture of the state government in NC were actually true the general assembly might be able to do better then a 17% approval rating. I would also doubt that the Governor would be tied with his likely 2016 opponent this far out.

Last edited by Egbert; 04-26-2014 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 04:33 AM

605 posts, read 804,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Uh do you actually live in North Carolina. I am guessing not because the exact opposite is happening. We now have a $221 million + tax shortfall and such that the governor cannot keep his promise to give teachers their first raise in years. We also have been hemorraghing jobs. The only reason our unemployment rate is lower is because the legislature passed laws to kick hundreds of thousands of people off the roles so they just aren't counted. In otherwords we count our unemployment differently then the 49 other states, which is why despite two months of consecutive job losses in January and February our unemployment rate fell sharply (Yes Virginia, during that period North Carolina was growing in population, losing jobs, but yet has a lower unemployment rate. If you can make sense of this w/o looking at the blatant manipulation let me know). Republicans are dealing with the economy hear like they dealt with sea level rise, which is to say they passed a bunch of laws telling rewriting what the figures were rather then changing the problem

RALEIGH: Broad teacher pay hike unlikely, NC political leaders say | State Politics | NewsObserver.com
NC employers shed thousands of jobs in February; unemployment rate dips :: WRAL.com

And then you have education lets just say that is where the GOP has really screwed the pooch, NC has serious issues with teacher flight. 97% of teachers say moral is low and even wealthier urban counties are experiencing massive teacher flight.

RALEIGH: Wake County sees 'alarming' increase in teacher resignations | Education | NewsObserver.com

Quite simply if your rosy picture of the state government in NC were actually true the general assembly might be able to do better then a 17% approval rating. I would also doubt that the Governor would be tied with his likely 2016 opponent this far out.
Do you think Hagan will win?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Egbert,
Yes, I live in NC in the Asheville area.
I am politically independent and am not a cheerleader for the Repubs, but my point was that Dems have been in control of the state for fifty years and were highly corrupt (does John Edwards ring a bell?) and made some serious mistakes that the Repubs are trying to turn around. My area of NC is bouncing back already. Two of my neighbors are builders and have turned down jobs because they are so busy. Housing developments are going in all over the Weaverville area. Whole Foods is now building a huge new building, another brewery is coming, and another big hotel is coming in.

Teacher wages are abysmal here, but the teacher flight and low wages was happening under the Democrats control! And sadly is continuing with the Repubs.
I am not pleased with some of the Repubs policies, especially their environmental corruption with Duke, but feel it is naive to think after fifty years of dem control that all these problems are from the short time the Repubs have been in control.
Both parties are just as corrupt and bought off by special interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies