Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:49 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For one thing legalizing marijuana which is not addictive and causes no more harm and probably less than either alcohol or tobacco is a far cry from encouraging people to continue the intravenous injection of harmful, addictive drugs.

And for another thing I believe it's ridiculous that Tommy Chong spent 9 months in jail for selling bongs, no drugs but bongs yet we happily pass out syringes.
Why not pass out the clean syringes? They cost less than maintaining addicts medical bills while they are already a cost to society.

AIDS is an epidemic that we must try to contain. At least they are trying to do something about it here in the US. I feel like the people in the US that have AIDS are ignored. Millions of dollars go to countries in Africa. (I am not saying that that is a bad thing) but how about some prevention over here.

WE always talk about how it can be prevented through intercourse, but there are others ways of obtaining this disease like the use of dirty needles whether in the hospital, at a tattoo parlor, or by using drugs.

Just because they use drugs does not mean that they do not have a right to protect themselves from another blow to their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:22 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Why not pass out the clean syringes? They cost less than maintaining addicts medical bills while they are already a cost to society.

When it's done in a state where needle possession is a crime isn't it setting a bad precedent, the government sponsorship of contraband distribution? And isn't it like saying we can't enforce our laws so we'll help you break them?

I agree with trying to control the spread of HIV/AIDS, I'm just not convinced trying to solve one problem by encouraging another is a sensible practice.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,712 times
I think that they would change that law since Bush is signing the bill to fund the exchange in DC

I am only talking about in DC where I work, live close to and go out at night.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:51 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I think that they would change that law since Bush is signing the bill to fund the exchange in DC

I am only talking about in DC where I work, live close to and go out at night.

I just can't help thinking it's analagous to giving the keys to the asylum to the inmates. I suppose if it helps a city it's OK but is at best a stop-gap measure. It would be a much greater service to people to help them stop using than to supply them with the tools to continue using in a 'safer' way.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 33,798 times
Absolutely. The government of this country has convinced many of us that we would be enabling drug addiction by promoting such a thing. That is simply not the case. If you do some research, you will find that countries that have adopted such programs have lower violent drug related crime, lower blood disease due to needle sharing, lower overdose rates and higher rates of extinction of the addiction. The way that this country deals with addiction is appalling. We just give them a new drug to get addicted to. Psychologically around 3% of people have addictive tendencies. This means that far less money would be spent educating and helping addicts than the current system of dosing them with something else or incarcerating them. We should be focusing on accepting those who use drugs into an unconditional environment where they are seen as dependent not deranged.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:31 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
This Needle Exchange program is not about DRUGS.

It is about the preventing the of spread HIV and AIDS in a city that has the highest rate for the killer that has no cure.
It's about preventing the spread of disease among IV drug users. Same thing.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Just because they use drugs does not mean that they do not have a right to protect themselves from another blow to their body.
That they themselves inflict!!

Sorry, but it raises zero sympathy in me. If you make stupid choices, you're going to have to suffer the consequences sometimes. Now drug addicts have a right to clean needles? Given to them courtesy of my hard-earned tax dollars? Maybe we should give kids clean plastic bags for huffing, since they might breathe in a virus from sharing a bag with someone else. Sorry, but it's the most ludicrous idea I can think of. Like I said in another post, I'll help fund rehab, but I won't help fund an addiction, and I don't care what disease it's ostensibly trying to prevent. A rat might eat a roach, but you're still stuck with the rats.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
That they themselves inflict!!

Sorry, but it raises zero sympathy in me. If you make stupid choices, you're going to have to suffer the consequences sometimes. Now drug addicts have a right to clean needles? Given to them courtesy of my hard-earned tax dollars? Maybe we should give kids clean plastic bags for huffing, since they might breathe in a virus from sharing a bag with someone else. Sorry, but it's the most ludicrous idea I can think of. Like I said in another post, I'll help fund rehab, but I won't help fund an addiction, and I don't care what disease it's ostensibly trying to prevent. A rat might eat a roach, but you're still stuck with the rats.
I think people who drink and drive should be given crash helmets.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
And they should be designated a "drunk driver's lane", and if they veer out of it, they go to jail--for a long, long time.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
For me this is a no brainer.

Give a 10 cent needle to a drug addict, or spend hundreds of thousands of dollars treating him for years at taxpayer expense at the county hospital.
Better to actually treat them than to enable their habit. I mean, is that going to be the rationale here? We should give them needles because it's cheaper to let them continue their drug habit? Wow, talk about compassion ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies