Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM

939 posts, read 799,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Don't take it as bashing, use it to educate them without anger. After a while, just enjoy the dumb questions/answers some arrive at!
Good advice, but some are so filled with hate towards God and Christianity, they must be controlled by the enemy.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM

68,395 posts, read 54,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
You are silly. If you really think we should give any credence to satanism, you are a sicko beyond human help.
Many would say the same about giving credence to a Church with a history of protecting pedophile priests.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,143,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
"My religion is just Ayn Rand's philosophy with ceremony and ritual added." ~ Anton LaVey, founder of The Church Of Satan

They have a trademark on the most recognizable satanic symbols if that tell you how serious of a religion it is. It's Randian objectivism that co-opted middle age and 19th century ceremony and symbols that were considered blasphemous. It's mean spirited in outlook and actually has some philosophical stances, but was a troll religion from the start.
And L. Ron Hubbard started a "religion" in order to avoid paying income tax. Yet the followers of Scientology are sincere religious believers in it.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:49 AM

939 posts, read 799,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't care much about christianity, and certainly can't be bothered to hate it, or to bash my christian relatives.

But christians simply don't get to be the sole occupiers of the public religion marketplace. Getting all huffy and offended when someone else is doing the proselytizing makes you look a bit silly.
So be it- I'm not concerned with being "right" or "looking good". When it comes to religion and politics, NOBODY will ever admit on here that they are wrong.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:51 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,911,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
In other words, "we don't have any desire to put our materials in public schools, unless Christians are."
Reading comprehension problems?

"If a public school board is going to allow religious pamphlets and full Bibles to be distributed to students — as is the case in Orange County, Florida — we think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”

Of course, you would rather that one religion dominates the propaganda, and one religion only, right?

I swear, you Christians are the most insecure lot I've ever seen. If your faith is so solid, why are you so threatened by others?

Old 09-16-2014, 09:52 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,143,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Quote:
we think the responsible thing to do is to ensure that these students are given access to a variety of differing religious opinions, as opposed to standing idly by while one religious voice dominates the discourse and delivers propaganda to youth.”
In other words, "we don't have any desire to put our materials in public schools, unless Christians are."
I wouldn't call that spite. It's providing an alternative viewpoint and voice to the discussion. It sounds like a sincere and reasonable explanation for his Church's actions.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,529,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Evangelical Christians just don't seem to understand that when they demand that their religion be allowed in public institutions, that means every other religion gets the same rights and the same access.

"Last month, a Florida judge ruled that if the Orange County school district allowed Christian groups to disseminate Bibles and Christian-oriented religious materials in its schools, it would also have to allow atheist groups to do the same.

The Satanic Temple took advantage of this decision, deciding to flood Orange County schools with a pamphlet entitled The Satanic Children’s Big Book of Activities that contains kid-friendly Satanic lessons."

Raw Story » Bible-pushing Christians open the door for Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when little Emily comes home and proudly shows Evangelical Christian Mom her Satanic Temple coloring book. What a great lesson in the truism, be careful what you wish for--you just might get it.
I think that children should be exposed to all religions and taught to understand that all people have different beliefs and different ways and that no way is better or worse than the other. It is an error to teach them that their religion is the only true religion and that everyone else is sinners, they grow up with closed minds. When I started checking out books on different religions at the age of 10, my mom only questioned me why, but did not stop me. She told me that in the end, it was my choice to believe or not believe.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,713,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Evangelical Christians just don't seem to understand that when they demand that their religion be allowed in public institutions, that means every other religion gets the same rights and the same access.

"Last month, a Florida judge ruled that if the Orange County school district allowed Christian groups to disseminate Bibles and Christian-oriented religious materials in its schools, it would also have to allow atheist groups to do the same.

The Satanic Temple took advantage of this decision, deciding to flood Orange County schools with a pamphlet entitled The Satanic Children’s Big Book of Activities that contains kid-friendly Satanic lessons."

Raw Story » Bible-pushing Christians open the door for Satanic activity books in Florida schools

Oh, to be a fly on the wall when little Emily comes home and proudly shows Evangelical Christian Mom her Satanic Temple coloring book. What a great lesson in the truism, be careful what you wish for--you just might get it.
damn that free speech, someone needs to start burning books

Old 09-16-2014, 09:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,626,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You write as if Christians have a greater right than any other religion to disseminate their literature in Public Schools.

They do not.
No, they don't. But it seems that the only time Satanist groups work their way into these public arenas is after an Atheist group swoops in and sues to allow all for all religions. Why are groups who have no religion (or hate religion) fighting for the rights of other faiths? The group that filed the lawsuit in the Oklahoma display was from out of New York. The Satanists didn't seem to care about this display until after the door was kicked down for them.

We don't see a flood of other religions getting their foot in the door, its just Satanists, because those filing these lawsuits are Atheists trying to make a statement by reaching for the most extreme group they can find to cause controversy and anger Christians.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 AM

68,395 posts, read 54,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I think that children should be exposed to all religions and taught to understand that all people have different beliefs and different ways and that no way is better or worse than the other. It is an error to teach them that their religion is the only true religion and that everyone else is sinners, they grow up with closed minds. When I started checking out books on different religions at the age of 10, my mom only questioned me why, but did not stop me. She told me that in the end, it was my choice to believe or not believe.
Or they are permanently driven away from organized religion.

I did my time in RC Sunday School. We were taught not only that Catholicism was the only true religion but that we were doomed to hell for eternity if we even stepped foot in another church.

Nothing could have been more effective in killing any belief I may have had in organized religion. Religions are a product of man and unnecessary for one to believe in the supernatural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies