Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,881,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Exactly what keeps me out of churches other than sometimes visiting because I enjoy some of the architecture. I have no doubt it's entirely possible to live a decent life that would please any creator without ever attending formal services.
Exactly. Like you, I was raised Catholic and left the Church when I was 16. Since then, I would describe myself as a Secular Humanist. The Humanist philosophy is one of "good without a God; a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

It is entirely possible to lead a good, moral life without believing in any particular God. There are millions of people who do so every day.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There is nothing in the Bible that says one must attend church, the relationship should be a personal one between You and HIM, hence one can be a follower without joining a specific denomination. I was born and raised a Catholic, became an Agnostic (fit my attitude at the time), then a Baptist (Strange People IMO), and then a Methodist (Very Nice Bunch of People), now I simply consider myself a follower of Jesus and it has worked out very well for me. I do not hide my beliefs, nor do I push them on others, and if someone wants to know more I am happy to share what I can, otherwise I stay out of other peoples business. I believe Jesus approves otherwise I believe he would lead me down a different path. As for the Buildings, yes there are some truly beautiful places out there, have you ever travelled to Europe, they have some fantastic places to visit. I used to live in Ulm, Germany and they have the tallest stone steeple of any church in the world, too bad they made it out of soft rock and the place is always under construction, but very interesting to walk through. If you ever go to Europe visit as many castles and churches as you can they are truly worth it and the history that goes with each is amazing.
Haven't been to any of the 'biggies' in Europe but have been in some small chapels in Spain that were quite nice and the one in Granada where Ferdinand and Isabella are entombed. The cathedrals in Cologne and Rheims are on my list if I get back there and the Cathedral of St John the Divine in NYC is pretty impressive. Despite the efforts of a few evangelical friends I find myself more and more agreeing with the Deists, by observation I believe in the existence of the supernatural but don't really believe any mere mortal understands or can explain it all.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Exactly. Like you, I was raised Catholic and left the Church when I was 16. Since then, I would describe myself as a Secular Humanist. The Humanist philosophy is one of "good without a God; a progressive philosophy of life that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead ethical lives of personal fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity."

It is entirely possible to lead a good, moral life without believing in any particular God. There are millions of people who do so every day.
I believe there are forces in the universe no mere mortal understands and that includes the ones who tell me they do. That's why I'd just as soon keep any one particular religion from being taught in Public Schools, at most I could see classes in comparative religion being offered but only to kids of at least high school age.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:43 PM

939 posts, read 796,172 times
Quote:
Why you singling out Catholics more than a few other denominations have had exactly the same sorts of issues. By the way Catholics are every bit as much Christians as any other branch of the same tree of faith.
Some Catholics are Christian, just like some Baptists, Methodists, etc. Only God know who really is a Christian- He know our hearts. Denomination is not the issue- belief in Christ as our Savior is the issue, and bearing fruit that would demonstrate such belief. The concept of denominations is man made. There is only one God, and He never said man should divide up into different belief systems and doctrine. Man did this of his own free will.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never said it was but I still hear people coming to its defense. I'd really like to know just how anyone could ever rationally reconcile its actions with its allegedly Christian core values? IMO this goes far beyond a simple 'mistake' or 'error in judgment'.

I accept many of Christ's teachings but being raised a Catholic I believe has permanently turned me away from organized religion. Many of a child's early experiences influence thought throughout adulthood and that's been my experience with religion.
I don't disagree with anything you say. The Catholic Church has done damage beyond description by covering up these terrible crimes and those who commited them. There is NO defense for the way they have handled this. I was raised Catholic, and when I became 16 or 17- I rejected their beliefs. I became a Christian at age 38, and that experience had nothing to do with a church or even people "witnessing" to me. It was an experience between God and I, and I cannot adequately express my gratitude to Him for this.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:53 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,952,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Some Catholics are Christian, just like some Baptists, Methodists, etc. Only God know who really is a Christian- He know our hearts. Denomination is not the issue- belief in Christ as our Savior is the issue, and bearing fruit that would demonstrate such belief. The concept of denominations is man made. There is only one God, and He never said man should divide up into different belief systems and doctrine. Man did this of his own free will.
Well then we actually agree, this has to be a first

Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Satanism isn't a real recognized religion. It is for the looney tunes out there like Scientology. Who cares anyway, schools aren't for learning anyway anymore, they are for indoctrination into hating America.
Of course it is. The Judeo Christian faith SAYS that it's a religion. Your holy books give him status as an omnipotent deity and even gave him enough power to offer Jesus all the kingdoms of the world.

In fact, he's imbued with enough power in the Bible to muck up the whole creation by offering Eve an Apple and convincing her to eat it.

Don't you guys know your own scriptures?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well then we actually agree, this has to be a first
Brilliant minds think alike!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 926,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Brilliant minds think alike!

They sure do, luke...

The 50 Most Brilliant Atheists of All Time

Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,211,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
"The fool has said in his heart 'There is no God' ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies