Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Anything that bashes Christianity they are down with. Even Islam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
This is simply about spitting in the face of Christians.
Did you not read the article? One of the pamphlets the Satanist Church wishes to distribute is titled “Why I Am Not a Muslim.”

Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Christians typically aren't kicking new doors open; these are primarily Christians elements that have been in place for decades, if not longer. It didn't used to be taboo to read your Bible at school; today it can get you sent to the Principal's office. Wearing Rosary Beads to school can get you suspended. This is a problem with things that have always been accepted, and suddenly there are those who want to strip away people's 1st Amendment rights because they don't like religion, while cowardly hiding behind the guise of fairness to all faiths (but they seem to always prop up Satanism as the religion they're fighting for.)
That's not true and you know it. It is perfectly legal to read your Bible at school. Wearing a rosary or other religious symbol is allowed without threat of suspension. What is different is that people are pushing back against religions using the power of the state to prosthelytize. Allowing other religions the same privileges as the majority religion, be they sincere or not, is showing the strength of the First Amendment. Freedom of religion doesn't only apply to your prefered religion.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Quote:
It didn't used to be taboo to read your Bible at school; today it can get you sent to the Principal's office.
That story is fake, posted on NewsNerd - an "Onion" type website.

"But this is the first Plainview Independent School District has heard of the situation -- a story that just isn't true.
"There is no school here named Plainview Middle School, as far as I know there is not a student by that name, and I can say with great assurance we would never suspend a child for reading a Bible,"

http://lubbockonline.com/interact/bl...d#.VBhlzL3F-So

Quote:
Wearing Rosary Beads to school can get you suspended.
Public display of rosary beads by teens can be a gang activity- at least in that district. The ban was intended to limit gang symbols and not as a ban on religion. The student was reinstated and the school revised it's rules.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/free-...ry?id=10731449

Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM

939 posts, read 796,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many would say the same about giving credence to a Church with a history of protecting pedophile priests.
Please recognize that the Catholic Church is not reprentative of the Christian Faith. Jesus said "By their fruits, you will know them". Obviously this bad fruit is not indicative of Gods concept of Christianity. We can always find the worst examples to make our point. Are all Germans like Hitler?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Please recognize that the Catholic Church is not reprentative of the Christian Faith. Jesus said "By their fruits, you will know them". Obviously this bad fruit is not indicative of Gods concept of Christianity. We can always find the worst examples to make our point. Are all Germans like Hitler?
Why you singling out Catholics more than a few other denominations have had exactly the same sorts of issues. By the way Catholics are every bit as much Christians as any other branch of the same tree of faith.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I never said it was but I still hear people coming to its defense. I'd really like to know just how anyone could ever rationally reconcile its actions with its allegedly Christian core values? IMO this goes far beyond a simple 'mistake' or 'error in judgment'.

I accept many of Christ's teachings but being raised a Catholic I believe has permanently turned me away from organized religion. Many of a child's early experiences influence thought throughout adulthood and that's been my experience with religion.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Why you singling out Catholics more than a few other denominations have had exactly the same sorts of issues. By the way Catholics are every bit as much Christians as any other branch of the same tree of faith.
Having left the Catholic Church many years ago I know very little about other Christian denominations. Do other Christian faiths teach they are the only 'true' religion? They're as bad as politicians saying 'those guys' over there are no good, you need to sit on our side of the aisle. That's what I was taught by the nuns as a child and I was never willing to accept it as fact.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Having left the Catholic Church many years ago I know very little about other Christian denominations. Do other Christian faiths teach they are the only 'true' religion? That's what I was taught by the nuns as a child and I was never willing to accept it as fact.
Yes, most of them do, many will even go to say Catholics are not true Christians and will not get into heaven. The stuff that comes out of the mouths of some preachers would scare the bejesus out of most rational people. Been part of several different sects within the Christian faith, now I simply consider myself a follower of Jesus, I do not push my beliefs on others and stand against those that want to force theirs on others. Leave the job of education to the schools and the job of teaching religion to the home or place of worship.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Yes, most of them do, many will even go to say Catholics are not true Christians and will not get into heaven. The stuff that comes out of the mouths of some preachers would scare the bejesus out of most rational people. Been part of several different sects within the Christian faith, now I simply consider myself a follower of Jesus, I do not push my beliefs on others and stand against those that want to force theirs on others. Leave the job of education to the schools and the job of teaching religion to the home or place of worship.
Exactly what keeps me out of churches other than sometimes visiting because I enjoy some of the architecture. I have no doubt it's entirely possible to live a decent life that would please any creator without ever attending formal services.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Exactly what keeps me out of churches other than sometimes visiting because I enjoy some of the architecture. I have no doubt it's entirely possible to live a decent life that would please any creator without ever attending formal services.
There is nothing in the Bible that says one must attend church, the relationship should be a personal one between You and HIM, hence one can be a follower without joining a specific denomination. I was born and raised a Catholic, became an Agnostic (fit my attitude at the time), then a Baptist (Strange People IMO), and then a Methodist (Very Nice Bunch of People), now I simply consider myself a follower of Jesus and it has worked out very well for me. I do not hide my beliefs, nor do I push them on others, and if someone wants to know more I am happy to share what I can, otherwise I stay out of other peoples business. I believe Jesus approves otherwise I believe he would lead me down a different path. As for the Buildings, yes there are some truly beautiful places out there, have you ever travelled to Europe, they have some fantastic places to visit. I used to live in Ulm, Germany and they have the tallest stone steeple of any church in the world, too bad they made it out of soft rock and the place is always under construction, but very interesting to walk through. If you ever go to Europe visit as many castles and churches as you can they are truly worth it and the history that goes with each is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies