Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress pass Border Security bill given the ISIS threat?
Yes 27 79.41%
No 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A fence like that can and will one day be used to keep us in.

We don't need a fence, if the laws we were promised in 1986, were enforced and those employing the tourist, were thrown in jail and their assets seized.

Talk about self deportation.......
But it is for the kids
A fence would keep us in? Sorry, we aren't East Berlin and never will be. Yes, we do need the double-layered wall. A physical barrier helps the Border Patrol to do its job more effectively. It was supposed to be erected only along the most porous areas of the border. Internally, we need to remove all incentives for illegal aliens to remain here and continue to come here and stop promising amnesty and deport illegals as they are found instead of only deporting the "convicted" criminal kind.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They will probably try to get people in with US or European passports, but it's not a leap to consider that they would exploit our southern border.

"Rep. Jason Chaffetz expressed concern Wednesday that Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson claimed to know little about reports that four people suspected of having ties to terrorism were caught after crossing the border into Texas on Sept. 10, one day before the anniversary of 9/11.

Chaffetz said 466,000 people have been captured crossing the border over the last 351 days, and Homeland Security says 157,000 more got away.

Those captured come from 143 different countries, he said, with 13 from Syria, six from Iraq and four from Iran. "

Rep. Chaffetz: Feds Clueless on Terror Suspects Who Entered US

As for passing a bill. One of the many problems with our legislators is that their goal is simply to pass a bill so they can say they did something. The bill can be a farce, but if it has the right title, they can brag about it. If they are going to secure the border, great - all for it. If they are going to pass an ineffective bill, I would rather them not do it so the public isn't falsely led to believe something was accomplished only to find out 5 years and millions more illegal immigrants later that the bill accomplished nothing.
Exactly, and it is BS that conservatives only think that terrorists will come through our southern border however that is where most illegal aliens are coming from and there is evidence that many OTM's from know terrorist countries have managed to come through our southern border and disappeared into our country. We need to be vigilant about all of our borders, ports and airports though.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Should Congress pass the Border Security bill given the ISIS threat? If I am not mistaken the Senate passed the bill 15 months ago, so this question is about the House vote.
I cannot imagine that the (D) controlled Senate passed a Border Security bill that was not rife with all sorts of things unrelated to security.
If it were strictly a bill designed on sealing the border to prevent illegal aliens from crossing, the House would vote for it in a heartbeat.

So despite the way this has been framed I suspect political shenanigans are at play. Since I am unfamiliar with the bill you reference, I cannot vote one way or the other.
Unlike some in the (D) party, I will not vote on something I have not read or understand.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You mean the Mexican border?

Seriously?

yeah, a bunch of Islamic terrorists just love wading through a catholic country where everyone looks different. BIG threat

if ISIS comes here, they will come on a plane with a passport.

You act as if there is only one way to get in, and since they might come in the way you suggest, we should disregard other means of doing so.

Obviously the latest reports show OTM's coming in from countries with connections to ISIS, al-Qaida, and state sponsored terrorism.
So why is it so hard for some of you guys to grasp that an actual terrorist either hasn't already crossed into our country via the border, or will any night now

Old 09-18-2014, 10:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
You mean the Mexican border? Seriously?

yeah, a bunch of Islamic terrorists just love wading through a catholic country where everyone looks different. BIG threat

if ISIS comes here, they will come on a plane with a passport.
Actually they don't look different, they look very similar.

OK, so you don't think we need to secure the border. Got it.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A fence like that can and will one day be used to keep us in.
So, you are saying you'd rather keep borders open because one day you may need to escape the US Allrighty then....

Old 09-18-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I cannot imagine that the (D) controlled Senate passed a Border Security bill that was not rife with all sorts of things unrelated to security.
If it were strictly a bill designed on sealing the border to prevent illegal aliens from crossing, the House would vote for it in a heartbeat.

So despite the way this has been framed I suspect political shenanigans are at play. Since I am unfamiliar with the bill you reference, I cannot vote one way or the other.
Unlike some in the (D) party, I will not vote on something I have not read or understand.
Exactly, and why should border security be held hostage unless it includes amnesty? I agree, if not for the amnesty provision of the bill the House would have passed it.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly, and why should border security be held hostage unless it includes amnesty? I agree, if not for the amnesty provision of the bill the House would have passed it.
They have not even discussed it, and nor have they tried to edit the bill more to their liking they simply put it on the bottom of the pile.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

You act as if there is only one way to get in, and since they might come in the way you suggest, we should disregard other means of doing so.

Obviously the latest reports show OTM's coming in from countries with connections to ISIS, al-Qaida, and state sponsored terrorism.
So why is it so hard for some of you guys to grasp that an actual terrorist either hasn't already crossed into our country via the border, or will any night now
Agreed. Even the FBI Director has stated that people from known terrorist countries have entered right along with Mexicans, etc. who are looking for work. Many of them are dark skinned and have learned Spanish even to blend in. There have been items found that they discarded that indicates this also. Only a fool would believe that terrorists will only enter thru our northern border or fly in here. Obviously, most anyone can sneak in thru our southern border since we have millions here illegally. Can the same be said of our northern border?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you are saying you'd rather keep borders open because one day you may need to escape the US Allrighty then....

One day, we may have to retreat from the oppression that is gaining more steam.

I'd much rather go after those employing the tourist. Much more cost effective, using seized assets to fund it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies