Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 06:12 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,604,576 times

Advertisements

I completely agree. I lean libertarian and I would completely support a single payer system. I think people would actually have more money in their pocket after paying an increased tax than they would after paying premiums, deductible, copays, coinsurance, and non-covered services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Crony capitalism is another reason to disentangle government from our lives as much as possible.
Crony capitalism is another reason to have a single payer system. As it stands now, you can't
get private companies out of the federal programs because they make so much money off of
them.

I don't think of health care as a commodity, and it has no business being treated as such.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:56 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I completely agree. I lean libertarian and I would completely support a single payer system. I think people would actually have more money in their pocket after paying an increased tax than they would after paying premiums, deductible, copays, coinsurance, and non-covered services.
Explain to me how it works. Tell me how you have more money to spend, when you add government, it's waste, inefficiency, corruption, and incompetence into the price.

X costs $5000

X + government = $20,000, always.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:58 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Crony capitalism is another reason to have a single payer system. As it stands now, you can't
get private companies out of the federal programs because they make so much money off of
them.

I don't think of health care as a commodity, and it has no business being treated as such.
Of course it is. If you don't think of it as an essential commodity, you can NEVER have cost efficient health care. As long as you pretend it's some right someone else must pay for, then we can never have anything but problems and extreme costs.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Of course it is. If you don't think of it as an essential commodity, you can NEVER have cost efficient health care. As long as you pretend it's some right someone else must pay for, then we can never have anything but problems and extreme costs.
See my other posts. I'm for a 5 percent Medicare tax. We don't have cost efficient health care because
our health care system is segmented, we do not have price fixing, and we pay enormous non medical costs, e.g. administrative.

The only folks against a single payer system are those making enormous amounts of money off the
present system. And yes, that includes before ACA, and still.

I can't think of any legitimate argument not to have a single payer system. Not one.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,287,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Explain to me how it works. Tell me how you have more money to spend, when you add government, it's waste, inefficiency, corruption, and incompetence into the price.
It costs less. In reality. How you feel about government vs. private doesn't change that.

Out of curiosity, why aren't you factoring in private waste, inefficiency, corruption, and incompetence? Given the choice I'd rather not have to help buy some insurance company CEO a new house in the Hamptons or be charged more to keep stockholders happy. I'd like the money I put into health care to go towards, you know, health care.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 AM

15,947 posts, read 12,302,396 times
im also a social libertarian that supports universal health care.. and to think I started out republican when I was younger. Cheers

Old 09-20-2014, 07:30 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,370,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
There is a wide range because some pick and choose some aspects of the philosophy to accept and others to throw away so that it satisfies their personal interest.
I have been in the same place that you are of holding onto principles with out wavering for many years but in reality has it done me any good? has it done the country any good? Nope, all I was left with was my principles and nothing else. You might consider it people that waver looking out for their own self interest and myself and others look at as the world is not moving in our direction and never will. I agree with the Paul doctrine of trying to make change through the political parties and getting something instead of a big fat zero.

On a side note have you ever started a thread on counter economics? I would be interested on your views and the forums response.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 AM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
There is nothing stopping our best and brightest from pursing other fields of study besides medicine and that will happen increasingly as government takes over medical care and sets doctors’ pay based on what it wants to pay. As for our current experienced docs, Medicare reimbursement has already resulted in many experienced doctors leaving their practice because the reimbursements rates are so low.

Nothing against third world doctors, but you’d better hope that foreign medical schools keep churning out first-rate doctors, because that’s who’ll be providing your medical care in 15 years with Single payer AKA Medicare for all.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 AM

1,259 posts, read 829,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Am I becoming a Democrat? Absolutely not. But I have a long road ahead of me to convince the right-wing in this country.
No, youre becoming a grownup and capable of independent thinking human being. I always had a problem with people using labels to identify themselves politically. Why? Because labels limit your choices. I am liberal but I never rule out agreeing with libertarians and even conservatives on issues where I believe they are right.

To answer your question, no, your haven't stopped being a libertarian just because you sided with the democrats. I don't think I stopped being a liberal by supporting both Giuliani and Bloomberg.
As they say, politics makes strange bedfellows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies