Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 PM

433 posts, read 291,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That happened in New York, and guess what, the conservatives on this site went crazy.

Where were standards lowered ?
Really when did that happen?

Isnt it leftist D-bag Mayor Debialso who is wreaking the programs?

Really? Have you seen the standards in the mid 60`s to today? Have you notice that what was once middle level work is not college grade work...

Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,839,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Name calling so soon?

Your ideas have been tried, they have not worked..

We are done listening to you and your ever growing list of failures...

Yes some do not perform as high, which means they have to improve or go under as they should, and when they do other will fill that gap..

No it is very likely to happen, parents, tax payers, and states are making it happen.

Kids get a better education and can compete on the world stage.

Teachers and entrepreneur make more money.

Liberty and freedom are taught in the next generation of voters.

The power and reach of the state is limited..

I mean everyone wins, expect control freaks and statist but to hell with them to begin with.
The titles come from the message to which I was responding. I am not particularly of the left though I am on this particular subject and some others.

The competition has never been tried. If you look at NV performance which is published at the state level you find some fine charters...who are working the bright and the middle class. A whole set of them are state charted. Go to the locally charted and you find a group working the low socioeconomic end and they are performing down in exactly the same range as the local public schools.

So if the intent is to let people establish private schools with public funding it works fine. But as a fix to the school problems - not so hot.

So you carry the pattern out for 10 years and the middle and upper class students are gone and so are the low end charters. You end up with a privileged school system for the well off and a set of disasters for the low end.

You like many charter advocates, have no real interest in a competitive test of the concept I suspect because you know it would lose. If unable to select its student body the concept fails.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:32 PM

29,621 posts, read 16,624,801 times
Quote:

Isnt it leftist D-bag Mayor Debialso who is wreaking the programs?
Last year, a couple of schools in NYC dropped their college prep programs and instead made it the standard so that all kids would get that same curriculum.

The right wing response seemed to be that the " less academic" kids would slow down the smarter ones.

Quote:
Really? Have you seen the standards in the mid 60`s to today? Have you notice that what was once middle level work is not college grade work..
instead of the above, why not actual show an example of the lowering of standards ?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,839,869 times
Quote:
To the statist in the thread what would you have us do?

Throw more money at this problem and just continue the current path of action which is a failure?

We have tried it your way, guess what it failed.

We are done listening to your "bright ideas" that of the last 50 years that produce nothing but failure, debt, dependency and tyranny.

I have not come to tell you how this is going to end but how it is going to begin.
Actually the experiment in Tennessee known as STAR provided very strong indications that substantial progress could be made on the target population - the socioeconomic low end - by substantially lowering class size. The problem though is that it costs money that would likely have to come from larger classes and lesser services to the higher end schools.

That of course was unacceptable so it is never implemented.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The titles come from the message to which I was responding. I am not particularly of the left though I am on this particular subject and some others.

The competition has never been tried. If you look at NV performance which is published at the state level you find some fine charters...who are working the bright and the middle class. A whole set of them are state charted. Go to the locally charted and you find a group working the low socioeconomic end and they are performing down in exactly the same range as the local public schools.

So if the intent is to let people establish private schools with public funding it works fine. But as a fix to the school problems - not so hot.

So you carry the pattern out for 10 years and the middle and upper class students are gone and so are the low end charters. You end up with a privileged school system for the well off and a set of disasters for the low end.

You like many charter advocates, have no real interest in a competitive test of the concept I suspect because you know it would lose. If unable to select its student body the concept fails.
I know I live in Vegas...

Once again some charters will do better then others it will force others to improve.

Not so hot of the bat, still alot better and easier to fix then the waste of public system.

I do not think you understand how a school vouchers work, one set rate, yes some schools will change more, some will be at the mark rate of the voucher, some will be less..

Really? I dont? i think that hard to believe.

No the concept just has to work harder and innovate..

What would you have us do?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Last year, a couple of schools in NYC dropped their college prep programs and instead made it the standard so that all kids would get that same curriculum.

The right wing response seemed to be that the " less academic" kids would slow down the smarter ones.

instead of the above, why not actual show an example of the lowering of standards ?

Well that is true...What sane person would allow this? What good does it do?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/ed...educ.html?_r=0

New Mexico Democrat high school graduation lower standards | The Daily Caller

Lowering state test standards leads students to lower theirs | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 09-27-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Why not make the standards higher by default? Lowering the standards has gotten America to the state we are in now..
Quote:
That happened in New York, and guess what, the conservatives on this site went crazy.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Well that is true...What sane person would allow this? What good does it do?
You just said 2 post ago that making the standards higher was a good thing, then you hear that a liberal did it and you are against it ??????????

Old 09-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
You just said 2 post ago that making the standards higher was a good thing, then you hear that a liberal did it and you are against it ??????????
Misread the post...My bad.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,286,154 times
Quote:
So Gunlover, did you ever start the MJ business?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Thats fine.

However, your 3 links are still misleading. proficiency = standards.

the kids are learning the exact same things, the passing grade for the final exam just changes.

For example, I went to high school in Alabama, graduated with honors, and yet, if I had failed any one of my 5 graduation exams, i would not have been allowed to graduate.

Do you honestly believe one bad test should dictate a child's future ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies