Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
How is it irrational.
Because you're comparing something very extreme to something that is simply unjustified.

Quote:
Both are far left statist
Both are authoritarian leaders, but Hitler was not far left. There was a rigid social class system which should not (theoretically) exist in a leftist society.

Quote:
Both want to fully disarmed the people of this nation
This is the only rational comparison and using the worst man in history simply for his gun control policy is completely inappropriate.

Quote:
Both want absolute power
That is the definition of authoritarianism, yes .

Quote:
Both have the same saute
AND THEY BOTH HAVE MUSTACHES!!! AHH!!!!

Quote:
I am there are alot of things that have in common.
Ignoring the inexplicable grammatical error, the things they have in common don't warrant a comparison. Hitler invokes an emotion, not for his gun control or politics, but for his brutal take over of much of Europe and the near desecration of the Jewish people. The only reason you use Hitler is to get that reaction, which is inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Which is worse, stealing a penny or stealing a nickel?
Well, this Maduro guy is taking a nickel, and Hitler took $5 so you tell me which worse?

Quote:
No, it is true that Stalin killed more the Hilter...Why you defend him is beyond me...
Hitler was responsible for far more deaths, not that it really matters. Both killed more than enough that debating who was worse it kind of silly. Though, I want to focus on the defense bit. Was I defending someone there... really? Or are you saying that because you think you're clever? Because it's not fooling me. Maybe some idiots will think I'm a communist by saying someone other that Stalin was objectively worse, but I'm not a moron and I want you to know how foolish that statement truly sounded.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
His country, his business.
It is not "his" country. He has precisely ZERO ownership of the country.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Because you're comparing something very extreme to something that is simply unjustified.
Both are very extreme. The differences are nil.

Quote:
Both are authoritarian leaders, but Hitler was not far left. There was a rigid social class system which should not (theoretically) exist in a leftist society.
The left believes in a three class society these days. And their efforts to enforce these classes extend to the point of killing.

Quote:
This is the only rational comparison and using the worst man in history simply for his gun control policy is completely inappropriate.
His "gun control" was simply a demonstration of the extreme statist's beliefs - in a helpless, malleable, controllable population.

Quote:
Ignoring the inexplicable grammatical error, the things they have in common don't warrant a comparison. Hitler invokes an emotion, not for his gun control or politics, but for his brutal take over of much of Europe and the near desecration of the Jewish people. The only reason you use Hitler is to get that reaction, which is inappropriate.
There is negligible difference between them.

Quote:
Well, this Maduro guy is taking a nickel, and Hitler took $5 so you tell me which worse?
People were killed to get it. Tell me which is worse.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:02 PM

433 posts, read 291,038 times
Do you guys not love how leftist are defending Stalin, and Hitler...I mean it really show you the mind set of them....

Old 09-27-2014, 04:07 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Fascists are always trying to ban guns. Its good thing gun banning is so un American that we'll never tolerate it.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
Quote:
Do you guys not love how leftist are defending Stalin, and Hitler...I mean it really show you the mind set of them....
How could they not defend them, at least in their own minds, they believe in the religion of State, the holy Collective, and that individual freedom is evil.

It is the policies of Uncle Joe to which they dream of implementing.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Both are very extreme. The differences are nil.
Is there actually a question of who was more extreme though?

Quote:
The left believes in a three class society these days. And their efforts to enforce these classes extend to the point of killing.
I was taking historical perspective into account. Hitler's system allowed no social mobility, while the modern leftist should (at least, in theory). As a whole, I dislike the 'left/right' system we use. It changes too much as is generally over simplified. There are arguments to be made that Hitler could be either left or right, showcasing the logistical problem in the traditional left/right scale.

Quote:
His "gun control" was simply a demonstration of the extreme statist's beliefs - in a helpless, malleable, controllable population.
Again, this comparison works. But that's it. It's the only one that seems rational, and a better candidate for a comparison could easily be chosen. Or no comparison at all. Why does Maduro need an idol.

Quote:
There is negligible difference between them.
When Venezuelans invades as many surrounding countries as it can and begins an effort to systematically annihilate entire ethnicity, the difference will become negligible.

Quote:
People were killed to get it. Tell me which is worse.
Hitler was still worse. His mark on history is to this day remembered as pure evil, and hardly anyone who was alive to witness this evil is still around. We are remembering an evil we didn't even experience. Maduro has not come even remotely close to doing this, and really, given the ease of access to information, it would be far easier to be known for monstrosity now than it was in the 1940s.

I again say, calling everyone who does something wrong 'Hitler' devalues Hitler entirely. If we compare every bad guy to Hitler, when the next Hitler shows up, we won't see him (or her) as being any different than the last 30 guys who got called Hitler. We won't recognize the severity of what is happening and that is a very bad thing.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Is there actually a question of who was more extreme though?
Sure. The question would be more accurately stated: "Is there an acceptable degree of authoritarianism?"

Quote:
I was taking historical perspective into account. Hitler's system allowed no social mobility, while the modern leftist should (at least, in theory). As a whole, I dislike the 'left/right' system we use. It changes too much as is generally over simplified. There are arguments to be made that Hitler could be either left or right, showcasing the logistical problem in the traditional left/right scale.
What is "social mobility"?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
You are unbelievable stupid, it actually is causing me physical pain.

Who defended Hitler? I mean, really? I made it very clear that I view him as the worst human to ever live. By keeping him out of the comparison, at best I'm defending Maduro, but even that isn't the case. I still think authoritarian leaders should be stripped of their powers. I just don't see every authoritarian leader as being as bad as Hitler or Stalin or Mao because they objectively aren't.

Take a look at any US president in the US in the last 50-60 years. Most of them would be considered 'statists.' Even Reagan, who increased defense spending. Military is a government system, and a large military by definition means a large government. He also supported background checks (Brady law), which is hilarious to me, and increased overall spending, despite running on fiscal responsibility. This increase in spending would result in an inevitable tax increase to make up the massive deficit he created (though he did lower taxes, this was an irresponsible decision). So, Ronald Reagan had some authoritarian policies... does it come even close to Hitler? Even Obama or Bush, who were significantly more authoritarian than Regan, couldn't even come close to be compared to Hitler.

Maduro has not done nearly enough to warrant the comparison. Hitler was responsible for the worst war in human history. Maduro is taking too much power. That's all he has in common with Hitler, but there is a long list of world leaders who also take more power than they deserve. Resorting to Hitler is a weak argument.

Also, you claimed I (and I'm not an idiot, this post was clearly directed at me but you didn't want to be upfront about it) defended Stalin. What, by saying he wasn't worse that Hitler? That's a defense? Seriously?

Old 09-27-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:

When Venezuelans invades as many surrounding countries as it can and begins an effort to systematically annihilate entire ethnicity, the difference will become negligible.
There is actually no moral difference between being a petty tyrant and petty tyrant with a racial grudge.

Quote:
Hitler was still worse. His mark on history is to this day remembered as pure evil, and hardly anyone who was alive to witness this evil is still around. We are remembering an evil we didn't even experience. Maduro has not come even remotely close to doing this, and really, given the ease of access to information, it would be far easier to be known for monstrosity now than it was in the 1940s.
Because pictures of heaps of bodies are required for impactful textbooks. However, just because the dead bodies of a specific ethnicity aren't heaped up in mass graves does not make stealing people's future, hope, and spirit any less of a travesty.

Quote:
I again say, calling everyone who does something wrong 'Hitler' devalues Hitler entirely. If we compare every bad guy to Hitler, when the next Hitler shows up, we won't see him (or her) as being any different than the last 30 guys who got called Hitler. We won't recognize the severity of what is happening and that is a very bad thing.
YOU don't get it at all. Maduro and Chavez, and Castro and Hitler and Stalin and Mao are the personification of evil. Evil doesn't require mountains of rotting corpses. To say that one is a "lesser" evil is to diminish evil, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies