Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,846,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Factor in the 90,000,000 or so Americans who have simply surrendered and given up looking for work and the true unemployment rate is around 10%.
The largest portion of those people who left the workforce simply retired. It is a demographic reality that an ever growing number of Americans are getting older.

Quote:
Based on federal data, Gary Burtless, an economist at the Brookings Institution, has calculated that the percentage of the adult population over 55 has risen from 27 percent in 1999-2000 to 32 percent in 2011-12. Burtless has estimated that half to two-thirds of the recent decline in the labor participation rate has been due to the aging of the population, depending on the time period you look at.
Rep. McMorris Rodgers says more people stopped looking for a job than found one | PolitiFact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Where does it say 90 million Americans have given up looking for work?
Shhh. 90 million Americans, almost half of the entire US workforce, gave up looking for work since "Obummer" came into office. I read it on the internetz so it must be true.

Quote:
1NORTH DAKOTA 2.8
2NEBRASKA 3.6
2SOUTH DAKOTA 3.6
2UTAH 3.6
5VERMONT 4.1
6HAWAII 4.3
6MINNESOTA 4.3
8NEW HAMPSHIRE 4.4
9IOWA 4.5
10WYOMING 4.6
11IDAHO 4.7
11MONTANA 4.7
11OKLAHOMA 4.7
14KANSAS 4.9
15COLORADO 5.1
16TEXAS 5.3
17MAINE 5.6
17VIRGINIA 5.6
17WASHINGTON 5.6
17WISCONSIN 5.6

...and the lowest top 20 are mostly red states, if we use your example.
They are? No wonder you guys can't wrap your heads around the unemployment rate - you can't count!

I count 10 red and 10 blue states on that list.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,388 times
Hey, he beat Romney's promice to bring the unemployment rate down to under 6% in four years.

Not that the President has much to directly do with the unemployment rate, but I bet this thread wouldn't exist if we were talking about a President Romney.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,799,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You have to remember that Bush's recession was the worst since the great depression. The unemployment rate after the great depression took almost 14 years to recover.

Democrats are doing their best but you have to remember the magnitude of the mess handed to them by Bush/Cheney.
Please credit Clinton for allowing the banks to use deposits to invest in toxic assets, the roulette wheel of investments. Bush and the Republicans tried to get a handle on the financial situation from 2004-2006 and were stonewalled by the Democrats.

Even Clinton admits the Democrats resisted HIS AND Republican efforts to tighten up restrictions on Freddie and Fannie. THOSE ARE HIS WORDS!

Fannie May contributed nearly $100,000 to Obama's first campaign. Gee, I wonder who's in bed with whom.

Why can't the left be honest about their own involvement in the crash?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Shhh. 90 million Americans, almost half of the entire US workforce, gave up looking for work since "Obummer" came into office. I read it on the internetz so it must be true.
It's actually more than half given the fact that the size of the workforce is 155 million.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Hey, he beat Romney's promice to bring the unemployment rate down to under 6% in four years.

Not that the President has much to directly do with the unemployment rate, but I bet this thread wouldn't exist if we were talking about a President Romney.
You are citing an author who can't even spell "promise" correctly?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
The biggest job gains were for the less educated; those with HS and no HS.
Their UE rates fell.

The low end jobs are increasing which is good for those with a HS diploma or less schooling than that.
66% of all the jobs created only require HS diploma.
This is the fastest growth sector.

Unemployment rates fall for least educated
Still, 66% of U.S. jobs last year required a high school diploma or less. Lower-skill jobs are still expected to increase, rising 7.9% for those requiring only a high school diploma and 10.9% for those open to people lacking one.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post

They are? No wonder you guys can't wrap your heads around the unemployment rate - you can't count!

I count 10 red and 10 blue states on that list.
You're also mashing up responses and deflecting.

I made it clear that it's about the population, not state by state. There is a vast difference between 8% unemployment in CA and 9% unemployment in MS. That would translate into millions more unemployed in Cali than Mississippi. So comparing southern red states to the coastal blue states is dishonest and misleading.

If I may, I caught the 90m remark as well. It's more like 3.4m who have stopped looking, and another 8-10m who have retired. No matter, the participation rate is based on working age adults, and it is the lowest in 40 years, which is dismal. Nevermind that the ones hurt the most have been the black and youth demography, which is ironic since they were the ones who ushered in this ideologue on the promise of helping them the most. What a let down... yet they still idolize him. The definition of a cult.

But feel free to continue the ignorance by arguing against facts, and making it a personal thing.

4,412 posts, read 3,963,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You are citing an author who can't even spell "promise" correctly?
That spelling error was all me.
But lest you think a spelling mistake equal making things up I went through the trouble of googling that for you.

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You have to remember that Bush's recession was the worst since the great depression. The unemployment rate after the great depression took almost 14 years to recover.

Democrats are doing their best but you have to remember the magnitude of the mess handed to them by Bush/Cheney.

You mean the Pelosi & Reid Depression. Congress writes the legislation to correct the wrongs.
Taking leadership of both houses of Congress, in 2007 we quickly went into a downfall. Unlike Obama, President Bush just signed, or vetoed legislation coming from congress, he didn't create legislation, in the oval office as a dictator does.
Bush warned congress for years before Pelosi and Reid got the keys to the candy store.

Did you totally forget how Government works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies