Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
No because I would feel horrible of knowing someone that took their life...even an Ah@le like you
I see, so it's about how you feel. Y'know, in situations like this, I think - call me old-fashioned - that it should be more about how the patient feels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:01 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,080,347 times
Quote:
I see, so it's about how you feel. Y'know, in situations like this, I think - call me old-fashioned - that it should be more about how the patient feels.
Once you start condoning suicide like its no big deal...IMHO your entering a slippery slope...

Old 11-03-2014, 01:05 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
No because I would feel horrible of knowing someone that took their life...even an Ah@le like you
That's easy to say when you or a loved one isn't dying.

My brother's brother-in-law and his wife are both dying of cancer. Hers is inoperable brain cancer that metastasized from from breast cancer. His is sinus cancer.

She is in constant deep pain and is now so gone she can barely speak. She has undergone a double mastectomy, a full hysterectomy, 3 rounds of chemo, and 2 rounds of radiation. There's a hole in the middle of her brain that was burned away by the radiation, and the chemo damaged her nervous system so much she can't walk for more than a couple of steps, and cannot say more than a few words at a time. The only person she still recognizes is her husband.

He had his face removed last month so surgeons could go in a scrape the cancer out of his facial bones, and then they put his face back on. Unfortunately, 2 days later, the surgeon discovered he missed some of the tumors, so he had to go back into surgery for a repeat, and the second time, the doctor had to remove his eye to get to the tumor, and they put the eye back in.

How much pain would come from peeling his face off and sewing it all back together twice in less than a week? And having an eye avulsed and re-socketed in addition to all the surgical pain?

They are both religious, especially him. Neither will consider ever taking their own life, and now, the wife cannot, even if she wanted to.

You tell me what is more merciful. They are both far past the point where praying gives them any relief, spiritually or physically. He's about 40, and she's about 37. The last I heard, they were going to a prayer camp somewhere to be prayer bombed until they die.

How much horror awaits both of them? Can yours compare to theirs?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Then you need to reread what I said. I said it bothered me. Didn't say "all people must stop saying this immediately". Just noting to say one thing may imply another. Apparently, you want me to shut up and go away. Sorry, not gonna happen.
I think that when people invoke death with dignity, that it's not that the person dying isn't without dignity, but that the person dying can suffer so many indignities at the hands of the disease they suffer from. It's an association of control with dignity, and the fact that many terminal diseases strip a person of control. The ultimate control is the ability to choose between death and life, and in that sense, a person is taking control from the disease, seizing that control back, denying the disease the power to further strip a person of the things that the person values and identifies with.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
That's easy to say when you or a loved one isn't dying.
My father died of colon cancer and my brother and I did everything possible to keep him alive.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
It is the epitome of selfishness to suggest that someone must remain alive, against their will, and suffer in pain. For what? What would you prolong their suffering for? It does them no good, and only prolongs their pain. I simply cannot understand why anyone would wish that upon someone they love. I lost a friend to suicide due to an incredibly painful disease. I do not in any way or form fault or judge her for that. I couldn't even being to comprehend the hell she was going through on a minute-to-minute basis.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
It is the epitome of selfishness to suggest that someone must remain alive, against their will, and suffer in pain. For what? What would you prolong their suffering for? It does them no good, and only prolongs their pain. I simply cannot understand why anyone would wish that upon someone they love. I lost a friend to suicide due to an incredibly painful disease. I do not in any way or form fault or judge her for that. I couldn't even being to comprehend the hell she was going through on a minute-to-minute basis.
Why don't we just start killing off the elderly...no need for them to live any longer being old and frail for rest of their years..just give them a pill..

Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Why don't we just start killing off the elderly...no need for them to live any longer being old and frail..just give them a pill..
You are missing one key issue: Do they wish to die? Are they suffering?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:22 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
My father died of colon cancer!!!
And you still don't approve of giving him a break if he asked for it?

I don't have any problem with anyone who wants to let nature take it's course. If that was your father's choice, so be it. My bro's relatives in marriage are making the same choice.

But neither you or I have any right to say what someone else can or cannot choose, especially if their choice distresses us!
That is the height of ego, selfishness, and is completely insensitive. You don't have the final say over another person just because you don't like their choice- it's not you who is doing the dying. They are dying, with or without your permission, just like your father (and mine) died.

If your feelings are so tender that you would forbid anyone a little merciful help for someone most qualified in the matter, you must be pretty damned tender. You knew nothing more of that girl and her life than I did. What makes you so qualified as to say what she should have done?

We all live the life and die the death. When your time comes to an end should be your decision alone, period. What do I have invested in your life or your death? Nothing at all. Live as you wish, and die as you wish. You will do both with or without my permission or taking my own feelings into regard.

That is as it should be. I will do exactly the same. If I choose to check out a little early, I don't want you butting in. I promise I won't butt in when the choice is yours.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that when people invoke death with dignity, that it's not that the person dying isn't without dignity, but that the person dying can suffer so many indignities at the hands of the disease they suffer from. It's an association of control with dignity, and the fact that many terminal diseases strip a person of control. The ultimate control is the ability to choose between death and life, and in that sense, a person is taking control from the disease, seizing that control back, denying the disease the power to further strip a person of the things that the person values and identifies with.
In that regard, dying with dignity could include choosing not to take one's life. That was my point all along. I do not disagree with having the choice of assisted suicide and support it as long as that person is doing the choosing and not having someone else choose for them. I am simply saying that one choice or the other does not mean losing dignity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies