Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times

Advertisements

It seems the overwhelming majority support this-is it because of the prevalance of cancer and other terminal diseases today?

It's hard to think that this issue was so controversial not long ago. I learned about physician assisted suicide in our high-school religion class (Catholic) and the teacher was very supportive of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
It seems the overwhelming majority support this-is it because of the prevalance of cancer and other terminal diseases today?

It's hard to think that this issue was so controversial not long ago. I learned about physician assisted suicide in our high-school religion class (Catholic) and the teacher was very supportive of it.
it really is. not sure what changed but it's nowhere near as controversial a topic as it once was, apparently.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
it really is. not sure what changed but it's nowhere near as controversial a topic as it once was, apparently.
In some ways I think it may be because people are realizing that just because we continually improve medications/treatments that may extend life, applying them without question to lives that have lost all quality isn't necessarily the right thing to do.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In some ways I think it may be because people are realizing that just because we continually improve medications/treatments that may extend life, applying them without question to lives that have lost all quality isn't necessarily the right thing to do.
maybe. but why didn't they realize that 20 years ago?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
maybe. but why didn't they realize that 20 years ago?
At least partly I would think it's 20 years ago many illnesses led to much shorter periods of sinking towards the inevitable. I believe as people now watch loved ones facing longer periods of a life having little if any quality they're more and more starting to question the wisdom of prolonging lives that those leading them no longer wish to prolong.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:01 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
A woman by the name of Britain found out that she had terminal brain cancer. She made a decision to move to Portland Oregon where assisted suicide is legal. I total disagree a Doctor's hippocratic oath is to do no harm. BTW.. Do you know who invented the whole concept of physician assisted suicide the Nazis. Why because for the NAZIS those who were disabled or burden were dispensable. By legalizing physician suicide we're entering a slippery slope.

Cancer patient Brittany Maynard, 29, has scheduled her death for Nov. 1 - The Washington Post
So you believe that a person should be kept alive indefinitely?

I support assisted suicide. And in this specific case, I believe that this young woman is well within her rights to make this decision for herself.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
At least partly I would think it's 20 years ago many illnesses led to much shorter periods of sinking towards the inevitable. I believe as people now watch loved ones facing longer periods of a life having little if any quality they're more and more starting to question the wisdom of prolonging lives that those leading them no longer wish to prolong.
that could be. modern medicine has been going to ever-increasing lengths to postpone the inevitable, whether the patient wants that or not.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:07 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

I think it's because nowadays we're thinking more about the quality of one's life and their right to control what happens to their body. Naturally, assisted suicide would become more acceptable in that sort of society. As it should be, because there's absolutely no reason to have it be taboo.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Probably. And I would even go so far as to say that applying them without question to lives that have become unbearable is almost never the right thing to do.

Those of us who have seen the long, drawn-out process play out--"life, no matter what"--would have to be for some other way, even assisted suicide.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
makes you wonder, if jack kevorkian was out doing his thing today, would there be more popular support than there was in the mid-90s?
and maybe he would not have spent 8 years in prison..
Actually, kevorkian had a client - if that's the right word - in oregon shortly before the first time that assisted suicide was passed (yes, we voted on it twice). It was pointed out at the time that a kevorkian-assisted suicide would still have been illegal under oregon's law.

For those that don't know - in oregon, a doctor is allowed to prescribe a lethal drug dose to a patient if the patient has been diagnosed with a disease that will probably be fatal within 6 months, the patient has expressed a desire for the prescription to two different doctors, the patient is not clinically depressed, and the patient is physically able to take the dose without assistance. The state tracks all such prescriptions and their outcomes. It turns out that many patients who have fatal prescriptions do not use them, but find immense comfort in having them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies