Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,306 times

Advertisements

...that at least for African Americans, American is actually part of the identification.

I've been around for a while and over all of this time I have never (and I mean never) heard a person of European descent identify themselves with hyphenation unless expressing some multiplicity of European heritage. So since whites are constantly scolding and attacking blacks for identifying as hyphenated Americans, then the next thing I should be saying is that whites always identify their heritage as just plain ole American. Right?

Well, NOT. No, the very ones who invented the smear "Hyphenated Americans" are the last ones who will identify their heritage as American. ( Keeping in mind that race is different from heritage or ethnicity. Many blacks chose to identify by heritage instead of race.) So whenever a white person is asked "what are you"? -meaning what is your heritage. Invariably the answer is "I'm Italian" "I'm German" "I'm Irish" - or multi-heritage identification: "I'm half Irish/half German"...or "I'm 50 percent Polish/50 percent Greek".

So the very ones accusing and bullying blacks about being hyphenated Americans don't ever identify themselves as American at all when asked about their heritage. The only time Italian-American, or Irish-American is used is as a reference in some type of verbiage in an article, book, promotion (for an ethnic festival of some sort), etc.

Are blacks not allowed to even chose how to identify themselves? What do blacks have to do, apply to some committee of the majority to ask permission for, or assignment for how to identify themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:17 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
...that at least for African Americans, American is actually part of the identification.

I've been around for a while and over all of this time I have never (and I mean never) heard a person of European descent identify themselves with hyphenation unless expressing some multiplicity of European heritage. So since whites are constantly scolding and attacking blacks for identifying as hyphenated Americans, then the next thing I should be saying is that whites always identify their heritage as just plain ole American. Right?

Well, NOT. No, the very ones who invented the smear "Hyphenated Americans" are the last ones who will identify their heritage as American. ( Keeping in mind that race is different from heritage or ethnicity. Many blacks chose to identify by heritage instead of race.) So whenever a white person is asked "what are you"? -meaning what is your heritage. Invariably the answer is "I'm Italian" "I'm German" "I'm Irish" - or multi-heritage identification: "I'm half Irish/half German"...or "I'm 50 percent Polish/50 percent Greek".

So the very ones accusing and bullying blacks about being hyphenated Americans don't ever identify themselves as American at all when asked about their heritage. The only time Italian-American, or Irish-American is used is as a reference in some type of verbiage in an article, book, promotion (for an ethnic festival of some sort), etc.

Are blacks not allowed to even chose how to identify themselves? What do blacks have to do, apply to some committee of the majority to ask permission for, or assignment for how to identify themselves?
There is a difference between using hypenations to describe yourself rather than when being asked where your ancestors came from and you say what country they were from. My ancestors were from Germany and if asked I would say so and yet I never call myself a German or a German-American. I'm a plain ole American.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I don't hyphenate anyone but people are free to do as they wish.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:08 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
I'm gonna hyphenate til the day I die and those that don't like it can go pound sand..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is a difference between using hypenations to describe yourself rather than when being asked where your ancestors came from and you say what country they were from. My ancestors were from Germany and if asked I would say so and yet I never call myself a German or a German-American. I'm a plain ole American.

Yes indeed, a huge difference.

Big enough to blow the OP supposition out of the water.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Wait, what?

I'm American. My racial background is mostly black. I don't consider myself African-American.

Elon Musk is African-American. Yep, you heard me.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes indeed, a huge difference.

Big enough to blow the OP supposition out of the water.
But if that is the argument, then neither do African Americans.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But if that is the argument, then neither do African Americans.

Africa is not a nation.

Liberian-American?
South African American?
Syrian American?
Kenyan America?
Ethiopian American?

All African American......

My friend Dustin is from South Africa. He is African American and lily white.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,877 times
I hardly hear black people calling themselves African-Americans. The only people I hear using a hyphenated label are immigrants or 2nd and 3rd generation Americans.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Probably the only ones that really should be using hyphenated terms are Americans who have actually originated personally themselves (and not their ancestors) in other countries (meaning current immigrants) or Americans who hold dual citizenship with another country outside the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies