Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:10 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would we give up celebrating Cinco de Mayo also?
Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the US much more than in Mexico.

It's more important to me than Columbus Day. Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of margaritas, beer, fajitas, nachos and making fun of the French.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I could care less if we have Columbus Day. I don't celebrate it. As a matter of fact, I think it should be eliminated so that banks will remain open and government employees will have to go to work.

And as far as what Columbus did, he did what people of that time, pretty much regardless of culture, would do. He exploited the resources of a land and a technologically inferior culture.
You mean much like today?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:

It's more important to me than Columbus Day. Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of margaritas, beer, fajitas, nachos and making fun of the French.
The last one would make the Kaiser smile.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
To combat the yearly Columbus whining, we should have Cowboys @ Redskins every Columbus Day and Redskins @ Cowboys on Thanksgiving.
I don't think my classes ever mentioned this long list of atrocities, when we talked about Columbus. I too was told (apparently bad intel) about the flat earth. No one mentioned cutting of ears, or hands and making people walk around with those around your neck

This isn't really much about the colonial invasion of america, but what this man (Who we celebrate) directly did.

I mean seriously - his note about (from his own pen) on the value of 9 and 10 year old girls.

And people are like "don't attack columbus" when no one even bothered to celebrate the jerk until the 50s when the knights of columbus petitioned to get the holiday named. His inclusion as a holiday is a recent thing, in a time where we should know better

as should be the removal

Old 10-13-2014, 03:25 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
I could care less if we have Columbus Day. I don't celebrate it. As a matter of fact, I think it should be eliminated so that banks will remain open and government employees will have to go to work.

And as far as what Columbus did, he did what people of that time, pretty much regardless of culture, would do. He exploited the resources of a land and a technologically inferior culture.
Good post......exactly how does one celebrate Columbus Day? With many 'spices'

Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:

My post isn't about the exploitation of a culture by another culture, its clear specifically limited to the atrocities that Columbus and the men under his control committed.

I'm assuming America would of been colonized by the Europeans eventually . .and I'm not blaming him for that - i'm noting (as the article notes) the #@! he did

Old 10-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would we give up celebrating Cinco de Mayo also?
you do know that Cinco de Mayo is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862?

As such, there isn't a specific person - nor a atrocities being committed.

so no - its like asking me if we should cease celebrating Presidents day because the latest episode of blacklist wasn't that good

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Shouldn't there be a petition to remove Columbus day as a holiday
No.

Only politically correct idiots want that.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:32 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, it isn't even that far fetched. Columbus cut off peoples hands, if they didn't bring Gold. he chopped off ears when he arrived to show he meant business and . . .he sold/had sex/captains had sex with 9 and 10 year girls they captured

i've got to say, not as efficient as a gas camp but pretty damn close in morality.

Did you not bother to read anything about this guy?
No he didn't.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
This I have heard!

Quote:
Okay, you have a point! It's just Americans half the time don't know what they celebrate they just do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.