Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The only people asserting baseless knowledge are those pretending to be Ebola experts spouting their baseless talking points.

The talking point originators apparently didn't inform their employees it's illegal to dispense medical advice without a license.
The talking point originators in this case are the ones proposing a travel ban as being in any way effective based upon their flawed suppositions regarding the Ebola virus.

Medical links have been posted ad-nauseum on here giving you all the facts you need to determine level of concern but instead you insist on second guessing those facts and running with talk of bans.

In retrospect, aren't you two-bit travel advisors supposed to have some credentials as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'm in Dallas every day.
I have witnessed no panic or hysteria here.
Just warranted concern and disappointment.

if you question then that is hysteria
LOL

Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'm in Dallas every day.
I have witnessed no panic or hysteria here.
Just warranted concern and disappointment.
A reasonable response given proximity and pride of location. Those talking out of there ***** preaching fear, hysteria and costs associated with treatment, need to take a page from that "reasonable" book.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Wanting to protect US citizens is not. But banning travel really raises that issue when medical opinion around the globe is virtually unanimous that doing so would not benefit. Why won't conservatives listen to the experts? Maybe it is just ignorance because that is a hallmark of the breed, but I think that racism and xenophobia plays heavily as well.

zzz zzz zzz
love that race card!!!
it is okay to ask folks who want to come here to get quarantined for 21 days
no I think the breed who marched behind these bozos who have been shown to be wrong every 2 hours are the ones who need to question more, but then that would blow tops of heads off
they love to act snarly and haughty, but no one pays them any attention
I have heard several doctors said just the opposite

Old 10-20-2014, 03:44 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sigh, how the heck can a US Embassy employee possibly kno who is going to come down with Ebola? Worried about going underground? Underground to do what? Do you think Liberia borders the USA?

The Dem talking points against the ban are not making any sense.
Sure, I can see it from my house.

And yes, the US Embassy can detect who is going to come down with Ebola because of the big E floating above their heads all hologram like.

OR - they can process Visa applications like they do any other, and decide that somebody coming from a high risk area probably doesn't need that trip to Hollywood just at the moment. You know they do check you are who you say you are. They can also make the determination that anyone who would actually be an asset to us (doctors, for example) in this gets through.

You don't want people to start lying about their travel history or their personal history, no matter where they're from or what kind of visa they do or don't have to have. Given the very few cases of impoverished West African nationals from infected countries that actually are going to travel while they have the disease, the more pressing concern will be people that have fraternized with those (medical personnel, aid workers, contractors, military) in other cities (London, whatever) that have returned from the region and are on the verge of passing it on.

Kinda like if Amber Vinson had had sex with her fiance prior to leaving Cleveland. You want to know all about the fiance. You need people to be honest in this. They won't be if they think they're going to be denied entry. People that don't need a visa. And there's lots more of them than Liberians.

However, given how transmission of the virus has failed so far to everyone except the poor two people who gave Duncan last ditch care, I don't even think we have to worry about that so much.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:49 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Then post your sources. I have one that says researchers have found this strain is different than the Zaire one, making all this suspect.
The virus is Zaire. Like influenza, there can be different strains, which are slightly different genetically but are still Zaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
[MOD CUT/off topic] "Much ado about nothing", except that hospitals, nurses, lab workers, and others are being criticized for not handling it right.
I see you found Duncan's online EHR summary from the first ER visit. Good, I had planned to send you the link.

I do believe that it is wrong to say the CDC "blamed" the nurses when they initially said the most likely route of infection for the nurses was a break in technique. As best I can tell, that is still true. It does not mean the nurses who got infected are incompetent. It just means that that is the way most people caring for Ebola victims get infected. It is an explanation, not an attempt to point a finger and say the nurse was responsible for her own illness.

I still have not seen a clear description of what PPE was used by Duncan's medical team and when better gear was provided than what was initially available. No one has said whether or not the hospital used a buddy system. A friend of Ms. Pham in an interview said Ms. Pham used "full hazmat gear" but did not describe what she meant by that and did not mention using a buddy system.

The most likely way the nurses became infected is during removal of the PPE. I am convinced that the hazards of that were not fully conveyed to the Texas Presbyterian staff early in the care of Mr. Duncan. The danger involved is such that even very experienced people, like Dr. Brantly, catch it. It does not mean the nurses who are infected are stupid.

I have focused my criticism on the hospital and whoever was the head honcho in charge of Mr. Duncan's care. I do believe they could have made better use of CDC resources and consultation with the Emory team, who could have helped them understand better how to use PPE and the medical management of the patient. Maybe they did those things and the hospital is silent because of the legal risks they now face. No way to know until the hospital tells us.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have focused my criticism on the hospital and whoever was the head honcho in charge of Mr. Duncan's care. I do believe they could have made better use of CDC resources and consultation with the Emory team, who could have helped them understand better how to use PPE and the medical management of the patient. Maybe they did those things and the hospital is silent because of the legal risks they now face. No way to know until the hospital tells us.
This is and remains a health care worker/giver disease.

This hospital did something wrong, and the nurses paid.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
This is and remains a health care worker/giver disease.

This hospital did something wrong, and the nurses paid.
That is certainly suggested by the Texas experience. This is the first time Ebola got loose in a country outside of impoverished Africa. It shriveled and died on the vine, so to speak. I doubt even CDC thought it would be this easy to contain when they first heard of the two nurses who had been exposed and then walked among the population. We cant let our guard down, but it is high time for the right to stop the hysteria.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do not know about sleeping in the same bed, but his fiancee said he cleaned up after himself.
Her quarantine ended today. I wonder since she was in the apt touching and cleaning things, could she still be in danger of coming down with this since he was very ill? Her quarantine should end 21 days from the last day she was in the apt. Looks like those who say it is contagious at the end stages may be right. Be interesting to see.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:14 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

You don't want people to start lying about their travel history or their personal history
Except that, people could lie about it now too, without a ban.

It's a stupid argument against implementing a ban. So-called experts don't have to put much thought into anything anymore to get followers on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies