Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,497,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Good call. Then congress will be able to do even more nothing.
Given the track record of what has been done by the gov in the past several years, I think we are better off with even more nothing.

But then there's the executive order thing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,222,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Good call. Then congress will be able to do even more nothing.
Well then if (and I said "IF") logical minds were to insue they should see this as an opportunity to prove themselves worthy by doing right for the American people and to show to be worthy of their party staying as a majority in the 2016 elections. Time will tell.

If the executive order gets in the way, it's not their fault obviously.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:51 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,684,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Given the track record of what has been done by the gov in the past several years, I think we are better off with even more nothing.

But then there's the executive order thing....
Congress has done nothing since 2010 when it became divided. I do agree with you, however, that probably we're better off when they do nothing.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,684,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songun View Post
I'll never understand why so many people lose their minds every couple years over some overhyped disease. Same thing happened with H1N1, avian flu, etc... and how many people died worldwide? A few dozen? People are getting killed by their own hearts... every day... and not just a few... it's 10s of thousands!

I'll concede that ebola has the potential to become a bigger problem due to the issues outlined above:

But you still can only catch it from someone who is symptomatic, so ordinary people who do not work in healthcare shouldn't really worry at the moment.
17,000 died from H1N1 in 2009/2010. 17,000. That's more than a few dozen.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,985,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I hope that I'm so very wrong, the huge potential threat is infections showing up and multiplying faster than anyone in the medical profession can do about it.

Maybe this is the "transformation" someone promised.
I believe you are wrong and so far there has been no signs of anything getting out of hand as you mentioned.

It was Speculation, and there is a whole lot of that going around, wait until the actual facts are there to support a specific speculation before over reacting.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

31,264 posts, read 22,255,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It is the likelihood of catching it that gets over hyped, there is a LONG list of things that are far more likely to kill you, including getting struck by lightning.

Actually that did happen with the man that died here, no one else on the plane caught it. It is not as easy to catch as you seem to believe, especially in the early stages, later stages are a different animal as the nurses can testify to. Thing is more people will get it here in the US, will it become an real crisis, very doubtful, the odds are most civilized Nations will be able to contain it and deal with it, but there truly is no way to stop it from getting here again so long as we live in the modern world.
"It is the likelihood of catching it that gets over hyped, there is a LONG list of things that are far more likely to kill you, including getting struck by lightning."
Yes, dozens if not 100s of things Americans are more likely to die from: "About 600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year–that’s 1 in every 4 deaths". So far 'Zero' Americans have died from Ebola. Will Ebola ever catch up to Heart disease? Not likely.
http://www.cdc.gov/HeartDisease/facts.htm

"Actually that did happen with the man that died here, no one else on the plane caught it"
Like you said, it's the later stages of Ebola where transmission is most likely!

Last edited by LS Jaun; 10-16-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 11:57 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,637,524 times
Awesome: airport police are now lobbying for a travel ban:
Ebola travel ban sought by airport police group | NJ.com

Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,543,739 times
Well now we know where this all came from:

Obama is Infecting Christians with Ebola To Destroy Jesus and Start A New Age of Liberal Darkness • ChristWire

Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,485,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
With all of the other viruses and diseases killing people in the millions each year, Ebola with 4000 deaths to date is not even close to being on the top 10.
Top Ten Deadliest Diseases in the World - Crunkish

Then there is the mortality rate of Ebola, which is 50% in West Africa. Even though the sample size is small, in the west 0 people have died from Ebola.
I actually don't really think it is.

Is it all going to kill us tomorrow and do we need to head for the hills? No.

Do we need to seriously step up coordinated aid, institute travel restrictions, and carefully think through quarantine usage? YES.

In many ways, people in positions of authority aren't taking this seriously enough. And the problem will grow much worse and be harder to deal with down the road...so the time is now.

You stop epidemics at the source, not wait for them to spread.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,887,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I have not read it(never heard of it)...can you give me a short cliff notes summary?
Hot Zone? True story written in 1994.

First few chapters describe in detail an Ebola outbreak in Africa in 1980 and exactly what happens as the virus attaches to a human host.

The main part of the story takes place in the late 80's in Reston, Va, outside of DC in what now is called the Monkey House, then a quarantine holding place for imported monkeys. An Army team evaluates the monkeys during quarantine. Monkeys start dying. A strain of Ebola is eventually suspected.

It is believed to be airborne. The monkeys have to be killed and disposed. There's an element of politics/turf war between the Army and the few CDC experts with field experience with Ebola. Accidents happen. People don't self report.

Dead monkeys are transported by Army officers in the back of a car. Everyone involved seems to be doing the best they can to contain the situation. The media is reasonably managed to avoid a public panic.

They eventually achieve their goal. No one died.The virus was eventually determined to not be transferable to humans and is now called the Reston Ebola Virus.

Anyone think Reagan had a clue?

BTW, the former Monkey House now houses a private Day Care facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies