Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times

Advertisements

Given that Ebola is the disease from Satan himself, why don't we go back a few centuries and burn Ebola victims at the stake. The fire would certainly kill the Ebola virus and with something this threatening you have to sure don't you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They say there could be up to 1.4 million infected by Jan 20th due to under reporting of Ebola.This is the CDC's number.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jinamoore/wh...t-ebola#ah0nw0
It's a worst-case scenario in the event that the global community does NOT make resources available in these West African nations to fight the virus.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:03 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Given that Ebola is the disease from Satan himself, why don't we go back a few centuries and burn Ebola victims at the stake. The fire would certainly kill the Ebola virus and with something this threatening you have to sure don't you.
You're getting "warmer" of what I really want to say (not to you) instead.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Mainly the old and very young.

Ebola has no such restraints.
Oh so they don't count, well at least with Cons, eh T.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not a stop-over to refuel. There are no flights from the affected countries to the United States. People have to fly to a different country, transfer to another plane and likely via a different airline. And we get roughly 150 people a day from the affected nations. Let's just say from August, though the outbreak started earlier than that, that's....how many people? 77 days times 150 people...11550 people. ONE had Ebola. ONE out of 11550 people. Increased scrutiny for such a dangerous disease seems like a logical, knowledge-based, and appropriate precaution. Barring everyone from those countries, where LESS THAN 1% of the population has been infected, seems like panic and over-reaction.
I think you need multiple tools to beat this, and some adjustment of air travel should be considered. How about a quarantine unit at the international airports in the affected countries? If you want to leave that country, you must stay in quarantine at the airport for 21 days. It would need to be individual quarantine (i.e., not communal).

Old 10-16-2014, 10:09 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I will note that those four family members of the late Mr. Duncan are still isolated, and due to leave their quarantine on October 19th (next Sunday). Apparently no symptoms as yet.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM

654 posts, read 1,250,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
What's wrong with this picture??
Quarantine the guy without the hazmat suit!

Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I think you need multiple tools to beat this, and some adjustment of air travel should be considered. How about a quarantine unit at the international airports in the affected countries? If you want to leave that country, you must stay in quarantine at the airport for 21 days. It would need to be individual quarantine (i.e., not communal).
THREE WEEKS in isolation before you can leave? That's quite a burden. If you wanted to go on vacation to Cancun from the United States, could YOU afford to take that much time off from work, away from your family, and would you be willing to be in isolation that long? Personally, that would drive me stir-crazy.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Once someone is diagnosed with Ebola, they're quarantined. They can't go out in public.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
THREE WEEKS in isolation before you can leave? That's quite a burden. If you wanted to go on vacation to Cancun from the United States, could YOU afford to take that much time off from work, away from your family, and would you be willing to be in isolation that long? Personally, that would drive me stir-crazy.
Yep, stir crazy indeed. A burden indeed. However, no one is talking about a vacation to Cancun from the US. I'm talking about people wanting to leave the Hot Zone -- OBVIOUSLY. Getting sick from Ebola is a hell of a lot bigger burden.

Ebola is not a joke. There are going to be inconveniences, as we've discovered several times in this country already. For example, Frontier Airlines is taking out of service the airliner that the nurse was on. They've also placed the crew on paid leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies