Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,064,661 times

Advertisements

It has been said that Republicans have been losing the culture war for a long time. That Republicans are out of touch, especially with young people and minorities. It has been said that millennial voters would pick Democrats simply because the culture of Republicanism is too far removed from that of young Americans and minorities. Also, with Baby Boomers on the way out, and Whites becoming less and less influential with time, the Democrats seem to have a big advantage.

With this being the case, does the Democrat Party platform conform more to the American ideal? Do Americans really associate more with Democrats? If you are of that opinion (or not) please explain why you believe it to be so.

In my opinion, I do believe the Democrats do have more of a cultural advantage with the majority of Americans than do Republicans. With issues like abortion and gay marriage being supported by Democrats, the culture war would seem to be lost. One could make the argument that issues like continuation of unemployment benefits and other "social justice" measures by the Democrats have given them a big advantage over Republicans.

However, I think that while culture issues may be important to people, I don't think that the economic policies of Democrats necessarily resonate with everyone. Here in Illinois, Bruce Rauner is being supported by some former Democrat voters simply because of his economic policies. I also believe that people whose main issues in voting are cultural are dissatisfied with both parties. In my opinion, most Americans just want to live their lives and be left alone.

I don't think the Democrats can continue to run on simply "relating with voter culture" forever. I say this because even some people who are culturally conservative have gotten sick of the Republicans, so I believe there will come a point in which culturally liberal people won't think it enough that Democrats share their cultural values. If it happened with socially conservative groups like Latinos and South Asians, I think things can swing against the Democrats eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
With issues like abortion and gay marriage being supported by Democrats, the culture war would seem to be lost.
You've fallen for propaganda. Obama got elected even though he specifically stated that he "does not promote same sex marriage."

Barack Obama on Gay Marriage - YouTube

Old 10-14-2014, 09:06 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
It has been said that Republicans have been losing the culture war for a long time. That Republicans are out of touch, especially with young people and minorities. It has been said that millennial voters would pick Democrats simply because the culture of Republicanism is too far removed from that of young Americans and minorities. Also, with Baby Boomers on the way out, and Whites becoming less and less influential with time, the Democrats seem to have a big advantage.

With this being the case, does the Democrat Party platform conform more to the American ideal? Do Americans really associate more with Democrats? If you are of that opinion (or not) please explain why you believe it to be so.

In my opinion, I do believe the Democrats do have more of a cultural advantage with the majority of Americans than do Republicans. With issues like abortion and gay marriage being supported by Democrats, the culture war would seem to be lost. One could make the argument that issues like continuation of unemployment benefits and other "social justice" measures by the Democrats have given them a big advantage over Republicans.

However, I think that while culture issues may be important to people, I don't think that the economic policies of Democrats necessarily resonate with everyone. Here in Illinois, Bruce Rauner is being supported by some former Democrat voters simply because of his economic policies. I also believe that people whose main issues in voting are cultural are dissatisfied with both parties. In my opinion, most Americans just want to live their lives and be left alone.

I don't think the Democrats can continue to run on simply "relating with voter culture" forever. I say this because even some people who are culturally conservative have gotten sick of the Republicans, so I believe there will come a point in which culturally liberal people won't think it enough that Democrats share their cultural values. If it happened with socially conservative groups like Latinos and South Asians, I think things can swing against the Democrats eventually.
Both Parties are losing support from the American People, it is about time America woke up, unfortunately it is probably too late to undo the damage that has been done by Both Parties.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:33 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
On social issues yes, business issues tend to give republicans the advantage.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:36 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've fallen for propaganda. Obama got elected even though he specifically stated that he "does not promote same sex marriage."

Barack Obama on Gay Marriage - YouTube
So that means everyone that voted for him agreed with him? You think every Democrat who voted for Ronald Reagan agreed with all of his social views as well ?

Old 10-14-2014, 09:38 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
Neither party represents the majority. That's why whatever party is in office, spends their time trying to change policies. Which explains why the US seems to be spinning in circles every 4 or 8 years. Trends that were around when I first started voting (over 50 years ago) disappeared and then showed up again years later. It's the curse of a 2 party system.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
They vote for Dems because they think they should, often for the mostly shallow reasons you describe. Then they complain about the economy/jobs, war, Obama being a disappointment, etc. Obviously they should be voting third party, not Dem. Maybe they'll eventually figure it out...

Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
So that means everyone that voted for him agreed with him?
No, that means Democrats do not necessarily support gay marriage. Obama doesn't.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
They vote for Dems because they think they should, often for the mostly shallow reasons you describe. Then they complain about the economy/jobs, war, Obama being a disappointment, etc. Obviously they should be voting third party, not Dem. Maybe they'll eventually figure it out...
I doubt it.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies