Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 06:08 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What IS settled is that the temperature is rising, the ice is melting,
Which is what happens when an ice age ends. In this case, the Little Ice Age. Why do you people DENY this?

Quote:
CO2 is increasing,
Who is arguing that this is not true?

Quote:
and the seas are rising and becoming more acidic, plus the fact that CO2 and methane are greenhouse gasses....These are all known measurable facts.....How about you tell me what is not settled?
Are the seas rising? Seems to me there is plenty of disagreement on this.

More acidic? OK I will read a source you provide on this point. Then I will look for opposition positions. Game?

The primary greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmosphere are water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone. Greenhouse gases greatly affect the temperature of the Earth; without them, Earth's surface would average about 33 °C colder, which is about 59 °F below the present average of 14 °C (57 °F).

Why do you ignore 3 of the 5?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Why do you ignore 3 of the 5?
They aren't ignored... Why would you think that?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, he is special. He is a special hypocrite and you should do what he says, not what he does.
Or just be intelligent and not base your actions off of political leaders....

Old 10-17-2014, 07:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
If I am the kettle, you are the pot.

I am glad you have so little confidence in models . You should realize the aircraft made by Boeing and Airbus owe there flight worthiness to the Engineering models used to design and in some cases testing them. Anytime you step on a flight anywhere in the world you are betting your life on the trustworthiness of their models. Otherwise it could be your final flight.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Still waiting what will cost 7.3 trillion dollars for doing nothing about climate change.

The city of New York, Long Island and the Jersey Meadowlands are all mostly less than 20 ft altitude and a complete melt of the last Northern ice sheet on Greenland would raise sea levels 30 ft. This area alone would represent a five Trillion dollar write-off on the real estate. Now multiply this by 15 to account for the rest of the USA. .

Old 10-17-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Nobody knows what the cost will be...The oil industry alone is 8 trillion per year, so over 36 years 45 trillion is not so bad.....After all the US spent 3.3 trillion (after pay back) to bail out your banks, and guaranteed 16.9 trillion to them.....Money will mean very little if the earth heats as much as predicted and we do nothing.

It is funny (haha) that you have either no knowledge of arithmetic or no comprehension of numbers , if it was 8 Trillion dollars per year over 36 years amounts to 288 Trillion dollars not 45 Trillion. As for the bailout, 2008 was a financial panic of the magnitude of what happened in 1929 which by 1932 saw much of the financial assets of Americans destroyed, half of the nations GNP erased and nearly a third of all jobs lost. To keep us from enjoying those times again what Ben Bernanke and two Secretaries of the Treasury Hank Paulson and Tim Gaithner did what they had to do and kept the American economy from imploding.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I am glad you have so little confidence in models . You should realize the aircraft made by Boeing and Airbus owe there flight worthiness to the Engineering models used to design and in some cases testing them. Anytime you step on a flight anywhere in the world you are betting your life on the trustworthiness of their models. Otherwise it could be your final flight.
Actually they owe it to cutting corners. Models affect almost everything here in 2014. I think there is a case to be made that we haven't caught up or fully understand all the data coming in or out.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Most Americans couldn't care less about the AGW hoax. We have much bigger issues to address and we are tired of the lies we hear from Obama and Al Gore. We know they only want to increase our taxes and increase government control of our lives. Give it up. We don't care about your AGW hoax anymore.
Wow just wow. It's amazing how some people in this day and age can remain so ignorant. First of all global warming is not a hoax. A person would have to be pretty damn stupid to actually believe that. And second, the people who matter still care that we are slowly killing our environment by polluting it with fossil fuels.

You know what, I challenge you to prove that global warming is a hoax. Go ahead and give it your best shot. We will be waiting with bated breath on your "evidence".

Old 10-17-2014, 07:58 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Then why did you say this?

If your intention wasn't to allude that man is emitting CO2 AND methane, why bring up methane?
Because the majority of methane emissions is a feedback result of global temperature increase, and not emitted directly by humans.

It is estimated that northern ecosystems have accumulated 25-33% of the world's soil carbon. In a warming climate, carbon and methane trapped in permafrost have a high potential for release into the atmosphere through chemical and biological processes such as thawing. When permafrost thaws and higher levels of CO2 and CH4 are released, atmospheric temperature also increases. This can result in a feedback loop and more permafrost thaw. Methane in the Arctic and its Role in Global Climate Change | International Arctic Research Center

Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
When did I say I had no confidence in climate models?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies