Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It's very sustainable as the cost of conventional oil is increasing (long term trend).... Fracking is profitable at 70ish dollars a barrel.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-s...225300222.html

If the price of oil per barrel falls below 70 dollars a barrel, that would be great for business in the US that rely on transport, not to mention commuters. I too won't cringe as much filling up my V8 Nissan Armada
You're part of the problem if you drive such a gluttonous transport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 03:17 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look, I don't wanna live near it...point blank. You can post all the pics you want. I won't be swayed.

In August, I was TDY out in Texas picking up and turning in military vehicles that I picked up from several reserve bases in the state. We were out in the Permian Basin, Eagle Ford, and Piney Woods areas of the state.

The trucks, drilling rigs, water and pneumatic tankers, flatbeds and other bulk haulers have DESTROYED the areas they work in. It's a mess. Drive down I20 through the Permian Basin and there's hardly an overpass that hasn't been hit by a drilling rig...often knocking huge chunks out and exposing the rebar.

The roads are all rutted and deeply pitted...mud tracks all over the streets. Junky trailer parks springing up all over because of the shortage of housing. Crime of all types through the roof....a cottage industry of new lawyers coming to town because of the myriad of truck on car accidents...and on and on.

I don't wanna live around that crap..and I don't want it in this state PERIOD...even if it isn't near where I live.
Not sure if you've seen these but check the Bakken Oilfield Fail of the Day.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Not sure if you've seen these but check the Bakken Oilfield Fail of the Day.
Lol...no, I'd never seen it. But I've seen it out in West Texas and it's the norm, not the exception out there.

They've destroyed more bridges and overpasses than you can imagine. The drivers don't run legally...not by hours or by weight. Log books are a joke. They may as well not have them. And they obviously don't watch their height limitations.

These guys are falling asleep going down the road and wrecking; often going into the other lane of traffic and killing other drivers. Texas has had to build these new barriers in the islands because so many head on accidents have occured by trucks going into the opposite lanes of traffic on I10 and I20.

Trash everywhere. Crime through the roof. Some of the trashiest trailer parks known to man. Vagabonds everywhere. And North Dakota is even worse.

Look, if they want to live that way, then fine. But I don't want it here.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Fracking can't last. Fracking wells lose productivity quickly and then the oil companies just move on leaving their damage behind.

Serenity 1-3H well near Oklahoma City came in as a gusher in 2009, pumping more than 1,200 barrels of oil a day and kicking off a rush to drill that extended into Kansas. Now the well produces less than 100 barrels a day, state records show. Serenity’s swift decline sheds light on a dirty secret of the oil boom: It may not last. Shale wells start strong and fade fast, and producers are drilling at a breakneck pace to hold output steady. In the fields, this incessant need to drill is known as the Red Queen, after the character in Through the Looking-Glass who tells Alice, “It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.”

U.S. Shale-Oil Boom May Not Last as Fracking Wells Lack Staying Power - Businessweek
I'm sorry - did someone in the fracking industry ever tell you that there was an infinite amount of natural gas at any location?

People who make a living in the oil and gas industry know that wells are by their very nature, finite. In fact, that's one reason why you don't see families uprooting and moving to where the breadwinner is working - there's a saying in the industry: "You can't chase the oilfield around." This is precisely why so many oil and gas workers travel to the various locations and stay in hotels, rented rooms, etc. for a few weeks at a time and then go home for a few weeks at a time.

By the way, when an oil or gas well is worked, the EPA as well as state and local laws mandate that the land be returned to it's original condition when the work is completed. A case in point was one my husband was involved in recently. The company he was working for built a lake to capture runoff water from rain and a mountain range. The large lake cost over $1 million to build. It was actually beautiful in a gorgeous setting, and the local people wanted it to remain after the company finished working in the area. But no - the EPA wouldn't allow it. So it cost the company another $1 million to remove the lake and restore the property to it's original condition, including exact elevations and reforesting.

I've lived in Texas for over twenty years and my husband is an oil and gas consultant. Everyone in Texas knows that oil and gas "may not last," since we've weathered boom and bust for nearly 100 years now. It's no "dirty secret." It's the nature of the work.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
LOL! We have fracking going on all around us. I haven't heard of anyone dying yet, or of water contamination. We're in the Marcellus Play. We have 11 acres. Hoping for a lease.
Right on.

I live in northeast Texas - an area of the state which has been "oil and gas driven" for nearly 100 years now - and also, to address another poster's ridiculous generalizations regarding Texas, a very beautiful and scenic part of the state. Fracking has been going on around here for decades. No contamination, no issues whatsoever.

People act as if federal, state, and local environmental laws somehow don't apply to the oil and gas industry. THEY DO, and they are ENFORCED.

My husband works in fracking in the Marcellus Shale. He is the equivalent of a project manager on site - he's the man in charge, and is who is responsible for adhering to safety and environmental regulations site wide. He deals with various state, local, and federal officials and entities every single day - and is scrupulous about safety and environmental concerns. After all - HE IS LIVING THERE while he's working. He's drinking the water, eating the produce, etc. He wants to be safe, and wants his family to be safe.

It may surprise people to realize just how many chemicals used in fracking are actually biodegradeable, by the way.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-19-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Those that allowed them to drill under their property are not exactly happy these days, the money is not near what they claimed it would be and now they get earthquakes, it is a lose-lose deal for them.
They do not have the technology worked out as they should and and the health issues are still being determined. I am not against drilling but it sure seems as if the industry needs to do more R&D before continuing not to mention where are they getting all the water needed areas such as North Texas already have water issues this is not helping.
Oh please. I have family and friends who have gotten rich as tycoons in the Haynesville and Brown Dense shales, from leases alone. No health issues, no damaged property, and no water contamination at all. NADA.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right on.

I live in northeast Texas - an area of the state which has been "oil and gas driven" for nearly 100 years now - and also, to address another poster's ridiculous generalizations regarding Texas, a very beautiful and scenic part of the state. Fracking has been going on around here for decades. No contamination, no issues whatsoever.

People act as if federal, state, and local environmental laws somehow don't apply to the oil and gas industry. THEY DO, and they are ENFORCED.

My husband works in fracking in the Marcellus Shale. He is the equivalent of a project manager on site - he's the man in charge, and is who is responsible for adhering to safety and environmental regulations site wide. He deals with various state, local, and federal officials and entities every single day - and is scrupulous about safety and environmental concerns. After all - HE IS LIVING THERE while he's working. He's drinking the water, eating the produce, etc. He wants to be safe, and wants his family to be safe.

It may surprise people to realize just how many chemicals used in fracking are actually biodegradeable, by the way.
We use fracking to develop some water wells.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We use fracking to develop some water wells.
You need to say a little more. I can see fracking to make an aquifer flow...but I would certainly hope you are not squeezing the last bits of moisture from a defeated aquifer.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Quote:
They've destroyed more bridges and overpasses than you can imagine. The drivers don't run legally...not by hours or by weight. Log books are a joke. They may as well not have them. And they obviously don't watch their height limitations.
Please tell us how you reached this conclusion. Are you a driver in the oil and gas industry? And if you have access to verifiable information of this nature, have you reported this to the authorities?

Quote:
These guys are falling asleep going down the road and wrecking; often going into the other lane of traffic and killing other drivers. Texas has had to build these new barriers in the islands because so many head on accidents have occured by trucks going into the opposite lanes of traffic on I10 and I20.
Please provide a source to back this claim - one that defines this as the reason why these "new barriers on the islands" in Texas. I've seen these sorts of barriers in various states.

By the way, you may find this interesting - apparently Texas ranks exactly in the middle of the fifty states when it comes to traffic fatalities:
State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Traffic Fatalities Rate

Quote:
Trash everywhere. Crime through the roof. Some of the trashiest trailer parks known to man. Vagabonds everywhere. And North Dakota is even worse.
There's something richly ironic about someone from Detroit complaining about trash and crime and slums and vagabonds in other places.

It may comfort you next time you're in Texas to find that crime in Texas is not unusually high. In fact, Detroit has the highest rate of violent crime in the nation - and yet you're worried about crime in Texas? Check out how relatively low violent crime rates are in Texas cities - I think you're unnecessarily worried:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But all that aside - clearly you don't like Texas, so for heaven's sake, please try not to come here. Everyone will be happier, I'm sure.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Please tell us how you reached this conclusion. Are you a driver in the oil and gas industry? And if you have access to verifiable information of this nature, have you reported this to the authorities?

Please provide a source to back this claim - one that defines this as the reason why these "new barriers on the islands" in Texas. I've seen these sorts of barriers in various states.

By the way, you may find this interesting - apparently Texas ranks exactly in the middle of the fifty states when it comes to traffic fatalities:
State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Traffic Fatalities Rate

There's something richly ironic about someone from Detroit complaining about trash and crime and slums and vagabonds in other places.

It may comfort you next time you're in Texas to find that crime in Texas is not unusually high. In fact, Detroit has the highest rate of violent crime in the nation - and yet you're worried about crime in Texas? Check out how relatively low violent crime rates are in Texas cities - I think you're unnecessarily worried:
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But all that aside - clearly you don't like Texas, so for heaven's sake, please try not to come here. Everyone will be happier, I'm sure.
I'm not from Detroit, and I'll go any damn where I please.

Secondly, you tell my why Texas has had a massive project building the tension wire barriers stretching from just outside of El Paso running to Big Spring...tell me.

Oh...that just happens to be the main traffic route through the Basin where trucks have been crashing so often into the opposite lanes that something had to be done. Explain damn near every underpass from Pecos to Big Spring having huge chunks gouged out from under them due to drilling rig drivers having NO idea how high their trailers are.

Google Amalio Villanueva from Sonora, Tx...this excavator driving dope hits THREE bridges on I20..on the same run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies