Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Military doctors can make up to $240 000 plus allowances and bonuses. The bonuses can be up to $75 000 a year.
please tell me what military doctor makes 240k

a full bird coronel (O6) only makes 8000k a month ...no where near 240k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
please tell me what military doctor makes 240k

a full bird coronel (O6) only makes 8000k a month ...no where near 240k
A colonel, which would be an O-5 would have 20 years of service, so they would make the $96K + $75K bonus + $30K (for being certified) = $201K. Plus the military would pick up $120K of his/her student loans, plus allowances.

As you probably know it depends on your rank. All doctors in the military are officers and a doctor with O-10 pay grade would make $240K + plus extras. Officers at the O-10 pay grade earn between $15,913 and $19,566 per month. I know there probably aren't many O-10 doctors (if any), which is why I said "up to $240 000". Obviously an O-1 would earn less.

The base salary can be low for n O-1 doctor, but the extras can add up to a lot.

As for the additional bonus: "If a doctor agrees to complete four-additional years of service, he will earn a bonus up to $75,000 per year". The bonus alone is a good chunk of money, not to mention they get other allowances.

And then there are the extras for being board certified. These extras can be worth $36 000 a year:

"Military doctors who are board certified in a specialty area of medicine are eligible for board certified pay ranging from $20,000 to $36,000 based on the area of certification. As of 2013, doctors certified in cardiology earn an additional $36,000 and doctors certified in pediatrics earn an additional $20,000 per year. Doctors are eligible for this pay as soon as they become board certified and pay does not change based on rank or time in service."

and

"The Army will help soldiers repay up to $120,000 of medical school debt under the Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program"

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-27-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A colonel, which would be an O-5 would have 20 years of service, so they would make the $96K + $75K bonus + $30K (for being certified) = $201K. Plus the military would pick up $120K of his/her student loans, plus allowances.

As you probably know it depends on your rank. All doctors in the military are officers and a doctor with O-10 pay grade would make $240K + plus extras. Officers at the O-10 pay grade earn between $15,913 and $19,566 per month. I know there probably aren't many O-10 doctors (if any), which is why I said "up to $240 000". Obviously an O-1 would earn less.

The base salary can be low for n O-1 doctor, but the extras can add up to a lot.

As for the additional bonus: "If a doctor agrees to complete four-additional years of service, he will earn a bonus up to $75,000 per year". The bonus alone is a good chunk of money, not to mention they get other allowances.

And then there are the extras for being board certified. These extras can be worth $36 000 a year:

"Military doctors who are board certified in a specialty area of medicine are eligible for board certified pay ranging from $20,000 to $36,000 based on the area of certification. As of 2013, doctors certified in cardiology earn an additional $36,000 and doctors certified in pediatrics earn an additional $20,000 per year. Doctors are eligible for this pay as soon as they become board certified and pay does not change based on rank or time in service."

and

"The Army will help soldiers repay up to $120,000 of medical school debt under the Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program"
Finn

a colonel (Col.) is an O6
a Lieutenant Colonel (LTC) is an O5

most officers retire at LTC/COL O5/O6... max time in service for an o5 is 22 years...they will be MRD(mandatory retirement date) at 22 years if they don't make o6

an o5 with 20 makes 8420/month (100k)...but they DONT get bonuses EXCEPT in certain fields and only for a max of 3 years

your average officer is o3/o4 CPT/ MAJ

your o7-o10 are GENERALS...and are far an few inbetween

retired First Sergeant (E8) with 25 years

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guess what a military surgeon makes(he wishes he made $114,000 )..... There is your government run healthcare.
Egads, you aren't kidding.

Special Pay for Medical and Dental Officers | Military.com

Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Finn

most officers retire at LTC/COL O5/O6... max time in service for an o5 is 22 years...they will be MRD(mandatory retirement date) at 22 years if they don't make o6

an o5 with 20 makes 8420/month (100k)...but they DONT get bonuses EXCEPT in certain fields and only for a max of 3 years

We are talking about military DOCTORS. Yes, they make extras, and why not?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Finn

Your figures are for line officers. Military Doctors have a faster pace of pay grade advancement and promotion. Finn Jarber is more on the money than your post.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:27 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The ACA is a disaster. Private insurance rates have skyrocketed (to cover the cost of other enrollees) and medicaid roles (who the hell is going to see them) have increased, as many of those "insured" on exchanges are dumped into medicaid.

You can "charge" whatever you want. However, specific rates are dictated by insurers to physicians. I could "charge" someone $1 million for an office visit. However, I would get paid the same amount for which I am contracted.

Many insurers deny "assistant surgeons" for many procedures. I am surprised that they had two surgeons for an ACDF, which is a pretty simple case.

Perhaps the "assistant" was out of network and thus the "bill" passed on to the patient. In such cases, offices will accept a fraction of the charged amount to maintain goodwill and gain PR. If I see patients are out of network and are going to get stuck with a large personal bill, I just write it off. As long as I am not going broke I would rather have goodwill in the community and not be labeled as a greedy pig; thus we write off charges all of the time (this must be done quietly, as insurers really get upset if co-pays are written off).

Heck, many times I do procedures (not covered by insurance) for nothing if the patient is scheduled for an additional procedure for which the insurance pays. That at least "gets them in the door" (particularly if it is at a surgery center, at which the center cost will be several fold the physician cost) and you can do other things for the patient, particularly if it does not involve a number of expensive "disposeable" items.
The Dr. was reimbursed for the entire amount by the insurance companies even though he was out of network. Of course, we all know its policy holders who bear the ultimate costs for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies