Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 08:33 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If what you say is correct and we are to blame for high housiing costs, is not my proposed solutiion the truly logical one?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If we need to consume less, why do you insist on imposing your excessive housing standards on us?

You
need to consume less, not everyone else.

Housing standards are not necessarily excessive, and even if they would be, the bottom line is you have no right to cause financial harm or damage to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Yeah except that is not true not everyone has the choice. If you are born in a poor family, if you are not intelligent then their is no choice for many people.
There's always a choice.

And the not amusing thing is that everything you advocate serves only to reduce or limit choices for people.

Anyway.....we have confirmation -- from you -- that Americans are entitled to Beer & Gambling.

Did you ever stop to think how you harm people?

No, of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Just like with most conservative policy positions, their position on the minimum wage makes no logical sense and isn't consistent.
Uh-huh.....tell us again why your government simultaneously claims $4.55/hour is a "Living Wage", but $26.75/hour is not a "Living Wage."

Is that consistent? Does it make any logical sense?

See if you can actually present some facts this time.

Conservatively...

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,200,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Mircea, credit suisses report on global wealth seems to indicate that its 83.7 trillion.
Credit Suisse is not the US government.

Which part of "US government website" do you not understand?

Quote:
but of course we all know you're smarter then them right?
Yes. At least I can find the 17 different US government websites.

You still do not know the difference between "Wealth" and "Income."

You're inability to make that distinction is part of the reason why you cannot find a US government website to support your ridiculous claims.

Quote:
As for the rest, you go off topic and hurl personal insults. you're not a person having a debate, your a troll wallowing in the mud you throw.
Pointing out your blatant errors and false statements is not an insult, rather it is a service to forum members.

Show us the GAO report documenting the cost-savings you claim exist.

Show us the CBO report documenting the cost-savings you claim exist.

Show us a report from the Treasury Department or the IRS or the Department of Health & Human Services proving the cost-savings you claim exist.

Show us a report from any US government agency that rebuts the statements made by the Medicare Trustees in the 2014 Medicare/SMI Trust Funds Report on Page 3.

In fact....show us anything from any reputable group that refutes their claims.

Hell, I'll even take BigDaddyG and Yahoo!Answers.

Did you search the Federal Register for the regulations governing those sections of Obamacare that you cited?

Otherwise....you cannot even prove those so-called cost-saving ideas have been implemented.

Quote:
PS some personal experiences here, I was involved in telehealth at my last job, it was saving people money, and looks to just increase that over time. And yes it was driven by the ACA.
Anecdotal Evidence
This is fallacious generalizing on the basis of a some story that provides an inadequate sample.

Quote:
You've got some idea that workers have some sort of negotiating power here....and refuse to accept that the only power they have is the setting of minimum wage.
There's the power of Greyhound...Amtrak.....Delta Airlines, American Airlines etc etc etc.

The power of automobiles.

If they cannot make it on $7.25/hour, then they need to move to one of the 1,539 separate economies in the US where they can make it.

Quote:
Trust me, they are underpaid.
How can we possibly trust someone who claims that if the Moon were made of barbecued spare-ribs, every household in the US can eat 712,000 spare-ribs per day?

Quote:
Which are a truly insignificant part of the money these people spend. All I hear is you repeating "what you've heard".
Anecdotal Evidence
This is fallacious generalizing on the basis of a some story that provides an inadequate sample.

Prove it.

Quote:
Lets say they give every employee an additional $7/hr, roughly 14K. their profit would drop from 125 billion to 95 billion.
Um, no, that is a Reality Fail.

Seeing how you cannot differentiate between Wealth and Income, or any form of Inflation, I guess it should come as no surprise that you do not understand the difference between Wage Cost, Benefit Cost, Regulatory Cost and Labor Cost.

Labor Cost is the sum of Wage Cost + Benefit Cost + Regulatory Cost.

Increase the Wage Cost, and the Benefit and Regulatory Costs also simultaneously increase, resulting in an increase the Labor Cost.

That's how Reality works.

Quote:
People working at a chicken processing plant are not being paid sufficiently, the only reason they work that job is to avoid starvation. Trust me on this.
Trust you on what?

You refuse to accept that your government identified 800+Skill-sets and 1,539 separate economies.

Quote:
Please feel free to deominstrate minimum wage increases and their related inflation numbers.
That has been done. Twice.

Remember?

I posted the links to US government sources for you.

Then you claimed on another thread that no one ever did, so I pointed out your false statement.

Quote:
Why do states with higher minimum wages have lower unemployment?
That question cannot be answered truthfully or accurately without additional data.

Required data for an accurate analysis would include sufficient population data to determine the Labor Force Participation Rate and Employment-to-Population Ratio for the State.

It also requires demographic data.

Business and employment data by NAICS code...you know, to see if a State loses 44,000 minimum wage jobs while gaining 250,000 non-minimum wage jobs.

Myself, I would simply cut to the chase and hit demographic data first.

What you want to look at specifically is Race and Age Groups.

If you raise minimum wage, and Black unemployment increases, then that is a huge Victory for Liberals.

Quote:
Do you have any evidence of these decreased hours you talk of? Heres a clue-the average number of hours worked by Americans is not exactly low. Some relevant....
Totally irrelevant.

Quote:
We have a minimum wage for a reason.
Because people like you constantly deceive others.

Quote:
You have a very tenuous grasp of the concept of cause and effect. we've got dozens of examples of minimum wage rising and no sudden problem.
Misrepresentation
If the misrepresentation occurs on purpose, then it is an example of lying. If the misrepresentation occurs during a debate in which there is misrepresentation of the opponent’s claim, then it would be the cause of a straw man fallacy.

Once again you employ deception.

No one ever suggested it was "sudden problem."

It's sad you find it necessary to twist and distort. You're the one with the tenuous grasp of Cause & Effect.

It's Economics; it's not the freaking Amtrak train that runs on a schedule.

It happens when it happens.

Obamacare is part of the reason for the decline in revenues for businesses in the 3rd Quarter, even though the failed roll-out was last October.

Yeah, those Out-of-Pocket expense aren't that affordable for the majority.

Quote:
But then you pint to 2009 and claim its from the minimum wage increase. Ignoring the whole recession issue that was caused when housing collapsed.
No, wrong.

The housing collapse did not cause the recession, but it was a symptom of recession.

What caused households to default on their mortgages?

a) unicorns
b) USPS lost all of the mortgage checks mailed by home-owners
c) decline in household income due to job loss(es)
d) decline in household income due to wage stagnation
e) both C & D

Quote:
Look it up? ok....so lets assume you mean from jan 1 to dec in order to get the largest delta in the values.
$5.15-$7.25.

Now lets take a look...ages 18-24 from 2007-2009. yup they DID go up.....right at the end, not in 2007 or 2008....but in 2009. gosh what happened in 2009 that might have caused a raise in unemployment.......GASP oh yeah! the recession!
Um, no, it was the minimum wage increase in part.

Whenever you decide to engage in honest debate, you can explain the following:

1] Vlad in Romania getting paid the "Slave Wage" minimum wage of $1.40/hour wants to purchase goods for the house he bought, uh, on his "Slave Wages." Vlad cannot buy from Idiot Fat Union Fred in America, but he can buy goods Made in Romania, if US companies off-shore to Romania (like many have).

Explain how increasing the minimum wage makes US workers globally competitive with Vlad.

Explain how increasing the minimum wage will entice Vlad to buy Made in USA.

2] Long Wang in China and his 1.5 Billion compatriots cannot afford to Buy American from Idiot Fat Union Fred, but he can buy American goods made by Pedro in Mexico.

Explain how increasing minimum wage makes US workers competitive with Pedro.

Explain how increasing minimum wage forces Long Wang to Buy American and save American jobs.

3] Rajiv in India and his 1 Billion compatriots cannot afford to Buy American from Idiot Fat Union Fred Made in USA, but he can buy American goods made in China by Long Wang.

Explain how increasing minimum wage makes US workers competitive globally.

Explain how increasing minimum wage forces Rajiv to buy Made in America and save American jobs.

If you cannot explain, it's because your position is pathetically weak and based on emotion and not on facts.

Quote:
Another fun fact from those charts....when the minimum wage went up in 96 and 97....youth unemployment went down.
And what was happening globally?

You're not suggesting the World is static and unchanging, are you?

'Cause, you know, that would be stupid.

Quote:
You have no clue what you are talking about, cherry picked data while ignoring multiple sets of contradictory data, and generally are not impressing me much.
Cherry picked data?

False Analogy
The problem is that the items in the analogy are too dissimilar. When reasoning by analogy, the fallacy occurs when the analogy is irrelevant or very weak or when there is a more relevant disanalogy.

You're suggesting that the demographics of the US has not changed since 1996?

What were the GDPs of China, India, ROK, and other developing and emerging States in 1996?

Oh, yeah, that....

...not impressed....

Mircea

Old 10-29-2014, 10:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, wrong.

See?

That's Social Engineering.

The Welfare Policy here is designed --- engineered -- to steer people toward multi-family households.

The end-game is to coerce people into altering their Life-Style to something that is more financially stable, responsible and sound.

You can do the same with HUD.

Women under 30 do not get their own personal private tax-payer sponsored breeding pen.

The Social Engineering here is to steer single women with children into shared multi-family housing for purposes of gaining a shared experience, better coping skills, reduced costs for day-care, and perhaps even reduced infant mortality, child mortality, and reduced child neglect and physical or sexual abuse.

Historically...

Mircea

Steer single mothers into relationships with abusive boyfriends wh pose a greater risk to abuse, molest, and kill their children?

And if Welfare policy is engineered to steer people into multi-family households, why does Section 8 subsidize an apartment or house for a single parent but NOT subsidize childless adults renting a room in a house with several others?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Here is the wonderful thing about our system: Neither PG nor anybody else needs to keep track of every poor person to determine whether or not they could do better. Each person in the country gets a clue about whether or not they are being useful enough to the rest of us. If so, they receive paychecks (or business revenues) to prove it. If not, they don't have enough money.

Brain surgeon with productive attitudes and habits? Gets nice paychecks. Young person with little experience or education and poor habits? Gets a clue they better become more valuable to society. What you think anyone should get? Doesn't matter. Whether PG knows their situation? Doesn't matter.
It is important because it has been stated that everyone can do better but I have yet to see anyone show any proof of this other then they did it or someone they know did it which in no way proves anything because it does not take in account intelligent and other advantages.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:29 PM

11,152 posts, read 10,729,610 times
Quote:
It is important because it has been stated that everyone can do better but I have yet to see anyone show any proof of this other then they did it or someone they know did it which in no way proves anything because it does not take in account intelligent and other advantages.
Sam Walton, Oprah Winfrey, Steve Jobs...

The business world is rife with examples, but I guess in your world those are all just flukes.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:33 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,279,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sam Walton, Oprah Winfrey, Steve Jobs...

The business world is rife with examples, but I guess in your world those are all just flukes.
That is some people last time I checked that's not everyone again just because some people can do it does not prove anyone can what about the people who tried went to school but are still working at low wage jobs? I am sure why I should continue this conversation if you keep refusing to prove anyone can do it instead of just pointing out a few people who did it and trying to act like that proves anything.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,196,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Your welcome. If government (congress) passes a higher minimum wage law, we can help people get off a diet of pet food!
um, the people you listed were retired for the most part. How do retired individuals benefit from a higher minimum wage? If anything, it raises the cost of living and makes it less affordable thus they have even less money

Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
The fight against raising the minimum wage needs to stop. We all know that the current minimum wage is a joke and no one can reasonably live on it to start. Moving the wage up to $10-$12/hr would help people, more than hurt people. Just give it up people. If there was no minimum wage, some companies would pay people $2.50/hr. Let's just be real and let's move on.

Signed,

Unaffilliated former voter
haha, for a second I thought you were serious..

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
That is some people last time I checked that's not everyone again just because some people can do it does not prove anyone can what about the people who tried went to school but are still working at low wage jobs? I am sure why I should continue this conversation if you keep refusing to prove anyone can do it instead of just pointing out a few people who did it and trying to act like that proves anything.
What on gods earth gave you the impression that everyone needs to be able to do something in order to determine it holds value?

Old 10-30-2014, 01:12 AM

11,152 posts, read 10,729,610 times
Quote:
That's the point; anyone CAN do it. Some people just don't want to.

So your contention is that because some people aren't willing to invest the time and effort needed in order to be successful, society owes them the sane lifestyle as those who do work at being successful. That isn't possible, as the economy could never support itself that way.

It's really pretty simple. If you aren't making enough money you either need to cut your spending or you need to get off your lazy posterior and go make morr. Don't expect people who have worked hard to be successful to support you because you'd rather make excuses than actually make yourself more valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies