Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
So too bad about that cancer, right poor people?
Too bad about AT3 (little known genetically linked disease) and heart failure, - my father and mother died prematurely (by many years) from them, respectively.

Both had "government sponsored" health care. Both were denied and died because of it. I'll take my chances with capitalism, thank you very much.

Quote:
Your dad was able to get a good paying job at a mill despite having a formal education. Try doing that today. And I won't even go into the fact that he had union representation. I bet you were also able to get your degrees using money your father left you are even working a couple of part time jobs.
My father had many jobs in his lifetime. He never completed 5th grade. I have no college degree. But I'm in a high-tech industry and was a technical pioneer.

Quote:
If a child coming from the upper-middle class is going out of school crippled in student debt (often at 6% or higher), how is someone from a poor or working class family supposed to even think about getting a formal education?
By hard work. My parents were quite poor - my mother was employed until the day she died in order to pay her bills - my father died many years before. My in-laws were even more poor than my parents.

But, I worked 2 jobs so my wife could get her ASN when I was young (and we had kids, too).

She now has an AS, BS, Master's and is working on her PhD. At 47, after our kids were adults.

Quote:
Equality of outcome, no. Equality of opportunity, yes. Allowing capital to simply flow up (as capital naturally wants to do) is bad for a capitalist society.
There is no equality of opportunity, nor equality of outcome. The best you can have, is to ensure government doesn't stand in your way. And right now, the biggest obstacle in the entire country... Is government.

Quote:
So, in summary, you advocate for social darwinism because you've never actually experienced it. Your father's decent paying union job allowed him to give you the tools to move ahead. Heavily subsidized education allowed people to get through school without crippling debt, and wages used to keep up with inflation. But you keep telling yourself that you did all on your on and advocate for kicking that ladder out from beneath you.
How about you have no idea what you're talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, you had a transitional economy.

I shudder to think that one has to set foot on a college campus in order to understand the implications of 90% of America living in Rural Areas in 1900 but only 49% in 1962.

Or the implications of 90% of America engaged in Agriculture in 1900 to 68% in 1935 to 5% in 1963.

Obviously, something was causing Rural Americans to migrate to Urban Areas.

Or, Rural Areas were urbanizing.
Actually, the biggest problem, was that the means of existence was stolen from the masses by rising taxes on capital. People mulitiplied in the cities because they could no longer live a subsistence life - there was no way to do it, so they attempted to work for money, even though there was little demand for labor.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Not sure how it's done?
It was more of a rhetorical exhortation. The crafting in the mind of the egoistic of the rationalization that a luxury car is "equal" to basic healthcare is indeed accomplished by self-delusion.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The people of the US believe that inequality is the largest threat.

Middle Easterners See Religious and Ethnic Hatred as Top Global Threat | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

And yet if you read here on CD you get statements like inequality does not exist, or it doesnt matter.

Turns out its considered the most serious threat here in the US.

I suspect the road to the presidency in 2016 will revolve around this topic. Hopefully reasonable solutions are suggested, and not anything drastic.
so many cry babies in this country. it's quite sad. we were working today and we struck up a conversation with a land owner. he was out smoking a cigarette and walking his puppy. he told us he was going to get another puppy. he was covered in tattoos, and had 3 cars. 20 minutes later, the repo man came and repossessed on of the cars. they ran out and jumped into the car, so the tow truck driver couldn't drive off. wonder if this idiot could have paid the car note had he not been paying for cigarettes, dog food, and tattoos. so many idiots.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Economic inequality is a psychological cause of crime. The places in the world with the most out-of-control crime are not the poorest places, but places with the highest income disparity. It's easy to say "screw the poor, save money", but go to places where the poor get nothing from their government and have no hope and you'll see that denying them economic help is far from free. It's either we all throw them something or we're barricading our homes and buying armed personal security.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:44 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
From the OP...

Quote:

Middle Easterners See Religious and Ethnic Hatred as Top Global Threat | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

And yet if you read here on CD you get statements like inequality does not exist, or it doesnt matter.

I suspect the road to the presidency in 2016 will revolve around this topic. Hopefully reasonable solutions are suggested, and not anything drastic.
Translation - we are our own worst enemy.

It's not hard to understand why the country is regressing... we are fighting ourselves.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From the OP...

Translation - we are our own worst enemy.

It's not hard to understand why the country is regressing... we are fighting ourselves.
The day we all get along perfectly is the say we're all dead

Disagreeing or trying to resolve issues like this don't suddenly make us regress. In fact maybe you should look into the data, maybe theres other causes.....you know, like flat wages while the richest 1% captures all the income gains.....

Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
The day we all get along perfectly is the say we're all dead

Disagreeing or trying to resolve issues like this don't suddenly make us regress. In fact maybe you should look into the data, maybe theres other causes.....you know, like flat wages while the richest 1% captures all the income gains.....
Not saying all has to get along... but need to look at intent. In many cases, the other political party is the main enemy.

One thing I now is as long as we remain 50-50 in this country - we cancel out ourselves and the politicians run things - which is good for no one except the politicians.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
The pew poll wasnt specific per se. income inequality is what causes wealth inequality for the most part, so while different they're really the same in the initial cause. And from there opportunity inequality is becoming more of an issue as wealth and income of your parents are often drivers for the childrens opportunities.

Given the nature of the poll I suspect its wealth inequality that most people think of.

You are throwing trash out to litter the street.

You have no idea of what inequality is specified because there is none. It is a liberal talking point driven home by those of your mindset to cause distrust among people. Why else would you post such garbage?

Drive a wedge between the people and liberals will come out on top as they pander to the lowest of the lows; all the while calling the opposition names and putting them in unfavorable light.
Such is your purpose here.

That's right, I said it.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:

The mainstream media tells us inequality is the largest threat and cerain people like to push it in your face like a big pile of dog doo. The people don't necessarily believe it to be so.

You wanna quit pushin'?

BTW - Who considers it the most serious threat? I think it to be more dangerous to incite a riot than it to unravel naturally. It is less likely to happen naturally. Some get their kicks inciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies