Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:24 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,641,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
But it is less expensive to have a motivated and stable workforce than constantly re-screen/hire/train etc.
Depends on the work requirements. For jobs where training to mastery takes less than a day, and screening boils down to "is alive, has motor function", it becomes financially advantageous to have low pay and high turnover. A fry cook can be trained to do their job inside of 10 minutes, no prior experience required. A WalMart greeter can be trained to their job in even less time, again, no prior experience required.

The replacement and retraining cost for a lot of jobs is minimal to nonexistent. As a result, the supply of available/capable labor for those jobs is huge, while the demand stays low according to profit models, automation and customer price expectations. Run that equation all the way through, and low pay not only makes sense but the company does BETTER by having low pay and high turnover for some jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,849,333 times
I see your point.

But job training is only one component. Advert, screen resumes(I received over 700 for admin. recept. in 2008-2013), interview, background and drug testing,etc. Takes time. Then there is how a hire relates to co-workers and does not become a disruptive force....

I worked lower end jobs such as fry cook, warehouse and lumberyard worker as a teen. Training took much longer than a few minutes.

NB: Thought to add that lower end employees tend to just quit which places extra workload on existing staff. Means overtime has to be paid. Then there is that valuable benefit that customers notice employees who are happy with their jobs which I think encourages the client to shop again at that location. There is a certain positive environment when employees are happy compared to when bored or unmotivated. The latter ones will not really be customer relations orientated which may upset clients to not shop again and perhaps create negative referrals to their acquaintances which may result in lost sales.

Well my customers have commented to me how pleasant it is to hear helpful happy employees. Places confidence in our company.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-23-2014 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 08:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What is the point of business? Is it to create, maintain and increase profit for the owners, or is it to "help the employees out?"
I want to know the last time an employee gave money back to their employer when they heard the employer was losing money.. I dont know where these loons come up with the idea that businesses exist to pay employees as much as possible..

Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
But it is less expensive to have a motivated and stable workforce than constantly re-screen/hire/train etc.
yes but thats during periods of high demand on labor. We have an environment now where there is no competition, there are lots of unemployed individuals out there and even more employed, but cant quit no matter how bad their job sucks..

Old 10-23-2014, 09:53 AM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
What is the point of business? Is it to create, maintain and increase profit for the owners, or is it to "help the employees out?"
There are parts of the world where terms like "corporate citizenship" aren't snickered at. Where there is an expectation of - dare I say it - ethics influencing business decisions.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There are parts of the world where terms like "corporate citizenship" aren't snickered at. Where there is an expectation of - dare I say it - ethics influencing business decisions.
Please cite for me those locations where "corporate citizenship" exist and then those locations where ethics dont influence business decisions..

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I want to know the last time an employee gave money back to their employer when they heard the employer was losing money.
Well, Volkswagen's workforce in Germany, for instance, have agreed to temporary pay cuts more than once, when the business wasn't doing well. This of course requires a workforce who trusts their management to not scr.w them completely over at the first opportunity - and, heresy of heresies, it generally takes a union to handle the negotiations. But in the "profit-above-all" model favored in the US, this is of course not an option. Or, at least, very rarely.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please cite for me those locations where "corporate citizenship" exist and then those locations where ethics dont influence business decisions..

Thanks in advance.
Yoou can do your own Googling as regards corporate citizenship. As for ethivs, well - I responded to Volobjectarians "What is the point of business? Is it to create, maintain and increase profit for the owners" rhetorical, and I don't see much in the way of an ethical concern listed there - do you?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,402,612 times
The corporatists on this forum will never get it. They adopt a rapist mentality, where they believe people should lie back and take whatever the corporate masters want to give them, all in the name of the almighty dollar.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The corporatists on this forum will never get it. They adopt a rapist mentality, where they believe people should lie back and take whatever the corporate masters want to give them, all in the name of the almighty dollar.
Actually, they DON'T believe it. They just like parroting talking points from Fox Business Channel.

It makes them sound like "rugged individualists" when in reality, they b#tch and moan about their pay and benefits just like everyone else. None of these CD conservatives are corporatists.

They just enjoy sounding like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies