Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 AM

20,947 posts, read 19,101,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know how many of you have shopped at a QT store given your locations, but i use them exclusively when there's one in the area.

Very nice, very clean, and the variety of snacks and drinks...along with some fruits and other miscellaneous items is actually kinda dizzying given the size of their stores. Some even have a grill in back, and the stuff they serve isn't half bad.

I've noticed that it seems a tad pricier than other similar chains, but i'm more than willing to pay a few cents more for the cleanliness and variety of merchandise stocked...especially the soft drinks. And the staff is extremely professional.

I started frequenting these stores after i read a 2011 piece on how well they pay and treat their employees. But i noticed that the piece seemed to have at least a small degree of skepticism relative to how long such a business model could last.

Well here we are in 2014, and the company is doing just as well if not better. Here's an excerpt from the piece:

Wow...imagine that. Sounds SO COMPLICATED, right? Have a clean and courteous business with good products and a well trained staff... Treat employees well, pay them a good wage with the promise of more opportunities ahead, and they'll be loyal, won't turnover very often, thereby saving you money and making you profitable.

Yeah i know..."these people are unskilled and should realize that these are entry level jobs and these profits should be returned to stockholders blah, blah, blah"....i can hear it now from the typical corporate shills on CD. But whatever.

Anyway...here's the link:
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/03/...ype=blogs&_r=0
So, get your friends together and buy a franchise!

Help people instead of blathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:18 AM

46,391 posts, read 27,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Old 10-24-2014, 02:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,311,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Betafemales and Bammers.

Gotta love it.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:35 PM

46,391 posts, read 27,257,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Betafemales and Bammers.

Gotta love it.
Gotta love the ignorance of the OP....

Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,766,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And who are you to decide how much of their own money the Waltons "need?" Are you a majority shareholder in WalMart? Are you a Walton? Did any of your capital get risked at the outset of the WalMart corporate adventure?

The money they have is THEIR MONEY. How does it become anyone else's place to decide how much of their own stuff they get to keep?
I am just trying to point out the massive amount of greed in this country, the Waltons can afford to pay their workers a little better and should. It would fuel the economy if all multi-billion dollar corporations would pay their entry level, low skill workers a little better.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,696,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am just trying to point out the massive amount of greed in this country, the Waltons can afford to pay their workers a little better and should. It would fuel the economy if all multi-billion dollar corporations would pay their entry level, low skill workers a little better.
The way to achieve that would be to go to your next city council meeting and tell them to vote to increase the min wage in your city. Seattle and Sea Tac did that and now worker's there are/will be making $15/hour.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:14 AM

26,664 posts, read 15,222,500 times
I thought that the OP was talking about Hobby Lobby.

$15 minimum wage for Full Time workers!

Great Benefits that INCLUDES contraception in the health care plan - in fact their insurance does cover the pill and even condoms.

True liberals should just LOVE Hobby Lobby!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/op...ove-.html?_r=0

Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,696,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I thought that the OP was talking about Hobby Lobby.

$15 minimum wage for Full Time workers!

Great Benefits that INCLUDES contraception in the health care plan - in fact their insurance does cover the pill and even condoms.

True liberals should just LOVE Hobby Lobby!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/06/op...ove-.html?_r=0
But Hobby Lobby doesn't support the "abortion pills" which negates all that is good about them.
And because they don't pay for that $35 pill, which should only be taken as a last resort, Hobby Lobby is evil in their eyes.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,471,612 times
Didn't the Ferguson mob loot a QuikTrip multiple times? Some loyalty.

Still I'm glad all involved appear to be happy and that it was done without busy body progressives using the government to do it.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,471,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
QT is privately held and therefore activist shareholders do not hold their feet to the fire to cut, cut, cut to increase dividends.

They have 700+ stores and about 17,000 employees. They are recognized as one of the top 100 best employers by those who bestow such recognitions.

They pay and benefit more than their competition and as a result attract and retain a higher quality employee.

A minimum wage entry level worker may eventually advance to a management position with shared P/L responsibility and make good money. Most will not because they are not cut out for that kind of work.

There's a segment of the population that will pay a tad more for a better shopping experience, where available.
There's some truth to this post. Public companies that go private cite the constant need to show growth in profits as the reason they go private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies