Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Did it grow adjusted for inflation? Or is that the non-inflation adjusted numbers?

My guess is not.

In 1999 the inflation adjusted income was 56,895 for a household. in 2013 it was 51,759.

Yeah a 10% income loss for the median household.

Many here refuse to recognize why this may be a problem, heck some of the folks here deny that inequality exists. Meanwhile productivity and GDP is increasing rapidly year after year.
Well, this explains the GDP numbers. As far as the productivity, that just another Obama lie.

It's Only GDP Tricks, Not Real Growth

Welcome to Obama's America! Where mom and dad work 4 part time jobs, get food stamps and vote Democratic! Wait until 40 million illegals start applying for those part time jobs! LMAO! God I love this country...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Well, this explains the GDP numbers. As far as the productivity, that just another Obama lie.

It's Only GDP Tricks, Not Real Growth

Welcome to Obama's America! Where mom and dad work 4 part time jobs, get food stamps and vote Democratic! Wait until 40 million illegals start applying for those part time jobs! LMAO! God I love this country...
A excellent example of Obama derangement syndrome here.

GDP productivity increases were happening before Obama as well...I know, this is amazing, but....its not all about Obama.

And those 40 million illegals will suddenly start applying for jobs too? OMG! So why dont we pass some good worker registration requirements so illegals arent hired.....oh right. seems like some side keeps vetoing or filibustering that, calling it "job destroying"

Yes they have to work part time jobs....and still get food stamps because minimum wage hasn't been raised to keep up with inflation. 100% of democrats voted for it, 2% of republicans.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:23 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A excellent example of Obama derangement syndrome here.

GDP productivity increases were happening before Obama as well...I know, this is amazing, but....its not all about Obama.

And those 40 million illegals will suddenly start applying for jobs too? OMG! So why dont we pass some good worker registration requirements so illegals arent hired.....oh right. seems like some side keeps vetoing or filibustering that, calling it "job destroying"

Yes they have to work part time jobs....and still get food stamps because minimum wage hasn't been raised to keep up with inflation. 100% of democrats voted for it, 2% of republicans.
what makes you think that min wage hasn't kept up with the government reported inflation???

here is the ACTUAL historical min wage chart, form the ACTUAL government (DOL (dept of labor)
http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

here is the ACTUAL todays dollar calculator from the ACTUAL government (BLS (bureau of labor and statistics )
Inflation Calculator: Bureau of Labor Statistics

as you can see in 1938 the min wage was .38 (38 cents)...in todays dollars it is 6.42 (as of 17 aug 2014) my original was from 1 apr)

as you can see in 1950 the min wage was .75 (75 cents for those that don't understand decimals) in todays dollars it is 7.42

min wage 1970..... $1.25..........in todays dollars......$ 7.61

as you can see in 1984 the min wage was 3.35 in todays dollars that is 7.68

so by government standard....it has

Old 10-25-2014, 06:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
really? do you really believe that those IOU's that the feds put in while they are robbing social security are really worth the paper they are written on?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? do you really believe that those IOU's that the feds put in while they are robbing social security are really worth the paper they are written on?
SS has non-negotiable Treasuries which means they cannot be sold on the open market.
All the years of surplus money got siphoned out of the SSA Trust Fund and used by the spend happy Congress for their various programs.

So when does Congress plan to pay back the SSA Trust Fund ?
Why does SS need to "borrow" money now to make the monthly payments ?

Congress took OUR MONEY from that fund.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
While you all put down the messenger there was a link to the SSA report.

The median wage for 2013 was $28K a year.
That is pretty pathetic.

Here is the SSA link:
Wage Statistics for 2013
As a raw number, the median income has never been higher, no?

A raw number is rather useless.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
If current trends of the last 30 or so years and especially the last 15 or so do not reverse than I don't see how the current economic model is in any way sustainable barring a new monetary system. The Bretton Woods post WWII model and the modified version of pure fiat money we've been on since the Nixon Presidency is running out of steam and is near its' end. Anyone who knows the true underlying fundamentals of this "economy" and the true numbers that make up the "Misery Index" would not deny this.

These numbers are sobering.

This is not good:
Prison Planet.com » 50 Percent Of American Workers Make Less Than 28,031 Dollars A Year

"Here are some more numbers from the report that the Social Security Administration just released…
-39 percent of American workers made less than $20,000 last year.
-52 percent of American workers made less than $30,000 last year.
-63 percent of American workers made less than $40,000 last year.
-72 percent of American workers made less than $50,000 last year." Almost a full 3/4's!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYW5OGWfqJc

The Real Story Behind Downward Class Migration - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamO7-ITtbo
I don't see the problem.

Those figures include the high school kid working 10 hours a week at McDonald's and also factors in the part time workers.

A more important figure is Household income in the United States

Quote:
U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939 in 2013 versus $51,759 in 2012, essentially unchanged. However, it has trended down since 2007, falling 8% from the pre-recession peak of $56,436. It remains well below the 1999 record of $56,895. Household income is affected by a variety of factors, such as population aging and household composition
In some areas of the country $1,000 per week wouldn't be livable but there are many areas where a family can do rather well on that as long as they are not stupid with the money.

As an example I know I can enjoy just as high a standard of living earning $50,000 in south Georgia than I could earning $100,000 in say New York City or the immediate bay area of California. On $70,000 I know I can enjoy a higher standard of living than my brother earning $110,000 in Cupertino.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
SS has non-negotiable Treasuries which means they cannot be sold on the open market.
All the years of surplus money got siphoned out of the SSA Trust Fund and used by the spend happy Congress for their various programs.

They did indeed. The Democrats moved the Social Security Trust Fund into the General Fund in 1968 in order to pay for LBJ's "Great Society" and "War on Poverty." Which has already cost us more than all the wars the US has ever fought combined, since the War of Independence.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
You can cite reports and statistics the messenger or any number of things to spin the truth. The personal experiences you live through have creditably and tell you something with lasting impressions.

So here is one story. I retired several years ago and recommended my replacement which was hired at 6 dollars an hour less than what I was making. He then worked two years without a raise until last year where he received 2% and this year another 2%. So he was down 6 bucks to start with and averaged 1% a year over the last 4 years. Every day he goes to work he losses ground financially and will not even be close to where I was in ten years. That's your labor market.

I know a number of people that lost jobs during the last down turn. Everyone of them had to accept work at a lower wage or remain unemployed.

It's only a matter of time before another down turn in the economy. Many think it will be worse that the last one but one thing is for sure the working class will lose financial ground again as they always do. Yet when you reach a certain high level of income you become insulated and recover at an accelerated pace. It's easy to sit back and nit pick or take pot shots at someone who provides information and discredit their ideas. Greatly more difficult to provide information that shows what I just explained is not the current state of the labor market and financial position of those working hard to make ends meet.
That would never happen if they were union members

Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:

I'm not sure that's what really happened.

I do know that sometime a couple three decades ago the Feds put the Social Security financials into the general budget so they could use SSA surpluses to mask the rest of the Federal Government's deficits. I dont recall that the Administration physically took money from the SSA and spent it.

SSA has been self funded from the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies