Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 PM

520 posts, read 776,295 times

Advertisements

According to the Washington Post:

"Seven or eight African American eyewitnesses have provided testimony consistent with Wilson’s account, but none have spoken publicly out of fear for their safety, The Post’s sources said."

Evidence supports officer

I realize this comes from an unnamed source, but the Washington Post is a well respected, center-left news outlet. If this was from a politicized source, such as a fringe right-wing website, I would not have started this thread.

Since the shooting of Michael Brown, there has been a lot of discussion about the relationship between African-Americans and law enforcement. One of the recurring themes is that many African-Americans seem to fear the police. They believe that the police already have or may in the future target them because of their race. Many believe that race was a factor in the shooting.

If true, this is a very different story. Apparently, several African-Americans are cooperating with the investigation, but fear retaliation from other African-Americans if they don't stick with the Brown family and their attorney's account of what happened. Based on what we've seen and heard from the protesters in Ferguson and elsewhere, many seem more interested in vengeance rather than justice.

Sorry for starting another Ferguson thread. However, this account underscores the danger of allowing a tragic incident between two people to become representative of something greater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
The New York Times did a story about 'leaks' from the Grand Jury and now the Washington Post does a story. NYT was clear that their information came from the Feds. WashPo and St Louis Media have released the Autopsy reports. They did 3 separate Autopsies and then had even more Forensic experts review them. The Prosecutor brought forward EVERY single person who said they "saw what happened". Wilson was on the stand (with no Lawyer) for 4 hours, was interviewed extensively by the St Louis County Police AND the FBI and DOJ. The DOJ has already said there won't be any Civil Rights charges against Wilson.

A grand jury has a much lower threshold of guilt to recommend indictment. They only need to see sufficient evidence to believe a crime MAY have been committed to go forward with indictment. If this case cannot even meet those low standards after reviewing all of the evidence, then there's no way a jury trial would return a different result where the burden of evidence for guilt is much higher.

Basically, if a grand jury will not indict, then there is no case. Prosecutors will try their stuff before a grand jury first because they know if they cant even get it past them, they got no chance at meeting the "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" standard of a jury trial.

I think the NYT and WashPo stories are a way of trying to soften the blow to the 'peaceful protestors' (rioters) that Wilson is NOT going to be indicted by the Grand Jury. The race baiters pushed this one way too far and they won't be able to control the repercussions of that. Anarchists, Greenies, Peta, Occupy and every Far Left group you can think of has already gotten involved in the Ferguson mess. They will go nuts when the Grand Jury releases their verdict.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:25 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Eyewitnesses are notoriously a bad source of evidence.

I can find 10 witnesses who said they saw the second coming of Jesus.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Sharpton, Jesse and Bubba Crump all wanted the early facts released that supported their case.
Now they argue it should all be held private because it doesn't.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:29 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
I'm personally looking forward to Spike Lee tweeting Officer Wilson's address.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
And as usual, the parents of the hood rat decry the murder of their "loving, good son" and "robbed him of his future".

I guess these fools took lying lessons from Obama. I pity the parents, But I don't grieve the loss of a high hood rat.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
No sane person was going to publicly conflict with the 'hands up, don't shoot' slogan, so this news isn't a shocker. What will surprise me is if all the media witnesses stuck to their stories when questioned under oath.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
When the GJ decides not to indict, the cream pie in the face of POTUS , Holder, Sharpton and co. will be lemon.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
According to the Washington Post:

"Seven or eight African American eyewitnesses have provided testimony consistent with Wilson’s account, but none have spoken publicly out of fear for their safety, The Post’s sources said."

I realize this comes from an unnamed source, but the Washington Post is a well respected, center-left news outlet. If this was from a politicized source, such as a fringe right-wing website, I would not have started this thread.

Since the shooting of Michael Brown, there has been a lot of discussion about the relationship between African-Americans and law enforcement. One of the recurring themes is that many African-Americans seem to fear the police. They believe that the police already have or may in the future target them because of their race. Many believe that race was a factor in the shooting.

If true, this is a very different story. Apparently, several African-Americans are cooperating with the investigation, but fear retaliation from other African-Americans if they don't stick with the Brown family and their attorney's account of what happened. Based on what we've seen and heard from the protesters in Ferguson and elsewhere, many seem more interested in vengeance rather than justice.

Sorry for starting another Ferguson thread. However, this account underscores the danger of allowing a tragic incident between two people to become representative of something greater.
This is exactly why it shouldn't go to trial if the evidence bears out Officer Wilson's testimony. A jury will be intimidated by the mob and rioting in their town to be able to fairly reach a verdict. This is what happens someone is "convicted" by the media and political groups before there is any evidence presented.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:17 AM

17,426 posts, read 14,657,652 times
This is why I wish we still had the Ferguson/Wilson/Brown master thread ...

I don't think this link/story is worth it's own thread, but it was an interesting read nonetheless:

Police investigating assault and theft following argument between Brown family relatives | FOX2now.com

Interesting in that the Brown family has stated they don't trust the police, but they're quick to call 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies