Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 07:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Many elderly people are highly adept in martial arts. The instructor of my instructor in high school recently passed away but was still practicing martial arts the year he died. He was 88 and I believe he was an 8th degree black belt. He certainly had no problem defeating teenagers from other studios who were using mma. As far as handicapped, if they are disabled to the point that they can't use their limbs, it is unclear how useful a firearm would be to them.
Sure he did. He's the Ki Master, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

"many" elderly people are not adapt in the martial arts, at best about 3% of the US population does any martial arts training, an INCREDIBLY tiny fraction get to 8th dan, as in 0.0000001% of people who start some kind of martial arts training (generally 3% get to 1st dan and 3% of those get to 2nd, and so on). This idea that "any elderly people are highly adept in martial arts" is a farce.

Morihei Ueshiba might have been able to take multiple young attackers when he was 86 years old but he is by far the exception, not the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,226,123 times
Quote:
Another great thing is that you don't need a firearm on US soil in peacetime.

That's because people like me are protecting US soil so you don't have to carry a firearm. USN 1999 to 2003, USS Florida SSBN-728 and USS Asheville SSN-758.

You're welcome for your freedom. Now please leave your toys at home.
If you really believe the nonsense you posted you are SERIOUSLY deluded. And I doubt you even know the vast majority of gun owners in America!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:00 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
No, self defense is your right. Defending the public is the job of the police.
Alright, you're just being silly now, and I don't debate silly.

You've made it quite clear that your position is that your personal safety and security is the job of the police, and that you have no personal responsibility to protect yourself or your family. That's insane. Literally. It's completely out of touch with reality, and there's no reason to engage someone that is so disconnected.

Have a very nice day.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I was in an auto accident.....I have a permanent disability.....from the seat belt and air bag.

Ya just can't win.
No, you're right, ya just can't win.

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and your resulting permanent disability.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that since there are no guarantees, and other dangers may have lower probabilities, we shouldn't worry about taking precautions, whether those precautions are preventative, or to insure against possible loss?
No. Everyone should take reasonable precautions. I do. Forgive me, but I don't happen to think that carrying weapons everywhere is a reasonable precaution. What, going out in public for any length of time is now a life or death endeavor? The possibility of becoming a victim of a violent crime looms over us wherever we go?

As another poster said (I think it was neutrino), if one lives in Somalia or somewhere similar, then I could certainly understand wanting to carry a weapon everywhere. But in the US? Do you HONESTLY feel that the US is THAT dangerous of a place? Because if it is, I want to take my kids and get the hell out ASAP (which I could do very easily as a dual citizen). If the US is really that horrible, then I don't want my kids growing up here any longer. Why on earth would I?

But I DON'T think the US is that dangerous. Not even close.

Incidentally, I come from a country with FAR lower rates of violent crime than the US. And yet it seems that I have a more positive opinion of my adopted country than you do you of your native country. That's very unfortunate.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-28-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,072,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
This idea that "any elderly people are highly adept in martial arts" is a farce.
Perhaps that was a typo due to entering the post on a mobile device. I intended to say "many elderly people".

Quote:
Morihei Ueshiba might have been able to take multiple young attackers when he was 86 years old but he is by far the exception, not the rule.
Remember we're talking about martial arts, not MMA jocks.

If you rely on a firearm and don't know any martial arts, you definitely aren't going to win against multiple attackers, especially if they're armed. You might shoot a couple of them, but the rest of them are going to converge and defeat you, unless you know how to react to that, using unarmed combat techniques.

Regardless, these are not relevant examples. In real life, you're going to deal with a mugger or thief in your home. You don't need a firearm for that. Dealing with multiple armed people is extremely unlikely.

Do I support the right to own one? Yes, with reasonable restrictions. Must be 18, no criminal record, mentally stable (if for example you're taking medications for schizophrenia, no firearm access), no fully automatic or semiautomatic rifles, small magazines, no open carry in urban or suburban areas, concealed carry requires background check, lie detector and psychological exam, etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:52 PM

+1 to newdixiegirl!

Old 10-28-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You've made it quite clear that your position is that your personal safety and security is the job of the police, and that you have no personal responsibility to protect yourself or your family.
No that is not my position. My position is that I don't need a firearm for any of that, nor do most others of normal physical ability. An example of normal physical ability is the amount of such ability that you would need to be a part of the militia.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
If you really believe the nonsense you posted you are SERIOUSLY deluded.
Which part? Yes I was a submariner, no you don't need a firearm for self defense on US soil in peacetime.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Nope. I just don't need a firearm for any of that.
Again, I'm happy for you.
You don't get to make that decision for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies