Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times

Advertisements

I would support it if we had a need for such labor. Do we?

Are there hard labor jobs (or mechanized jobs that could be once again done manually if financially viable with "free" labor,) even available? Alaska seems a good location to reduce escapism, but does it have the potential to support this kind of work?

Or are they just going to dig pits in the ice and fill them back up again?

As for an ACLU kind of outfit... the problem is that we couldn't offer a straight swap. Each state decides on its own penitentiaries and sentences. Would we somehow get all states to agree, offer civial rights groups a "death penalty for hard labor swap," and then pay Alaska a stipend to house everyone's violent criminals? It only takes one lawyer to bring suit, so it wouldn't be enough to get the big orgs to be amicable.

I do like the idea, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:39 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
here is the issue
almost 100% of prisoners are deemed unfit to work.
so your recommendation in our lawyer driven system is not very practical.
since almost nobody ever actually get executed death penalty really does not pose much of a threat
now how to get a low prison population instead of a high one.
for that you have to ask people that have low prison populations
how bout a bagdad prison warden????
my point
populations that are not into punishment have very high prison populations

Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The government doesn't decide death penalty cases, a jury of the criminal's peers does.
Unfortunately, that is not true. Juries are influenced by the evidence presented. Even when that evidence has been fabricated by the government.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:59 AM

36 posts, read 18,413 times
Hard labor?

No. I'd prefer a Russian-style prison life for rapists and murderers (and the like). Look up "Russia's Toughest Prisons" if you wish to see what I'm talking about.

That said, I'm totally against the death penalty.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemdawg99 View Post
Hard labor?

No. I'd prefer a Russian-style prison life for rapists and murderers (and the like). Look up "Russia's Toughest Prisons" if you wish to see what I'm talking about.

That said, I'm totally against the death penalty.
It is a little funny actually. Russia sends their prisoners to places like Siberia. Whereas in Alaska we use to send our long-term prisoners to private prisons in Arizona.

We also sent them to Colorado, until recently. A new prison facility was recently completed in Alaska. Give it a year or two before it is filled to capacity, then we will be back to shipping our prisoners to nice warm southern States so they can work on their tan.

And if they escape ... WE WILL NOT CARE! BWAHAHAHAhahahahahehehehehohohoho!

Alaska has no death penalty by the way.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:24 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I'm for the death penalty for life sentences. Why would we pay to house and feed a criminal with no hope of release? Just be done with it.

Wait... Prison Industrial Complex.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:38 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
not completely true. while it is a jury that decides if a convict gets the death penalty, it is the DA that decides to go for the death penalty in the first place, and they decide that from a government report generated to determine if the death penalty is warranted or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Unfortunately, that is not true. Juries are influenced by the evidence presented. Even when that evidence has been fabricated by the government.
The decision is still in the hands of a jury. From my own point of view, for certain crimes the death penalty should be the only option. Violent child molesters, for example, should not be kept alive in a secure facility at taxpayers' expense.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Sometimes it's about keeping everyone else safe.

The death penalty eliminates the possibility of a particular person committing a repeat crime.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Prisoners who do hard labor would be fed better than those who refuse to. Basic nourishment (think bread and water) is all that is required, same for socializing, NONE. Let tax payers get some value for paying to keep these criminals locked up.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The decision is still in the hands of a jury. From my own point of view, for certain crimes the death penalty should be the only option. Violent child molesters, for example, should not be kept alive in a secure facility at taxpayers' expense.
You only think the decision is in the hands of the jury. In reality, the decision is in the hands of the prosecutor. A dishonest prosecutor can convict anyone they like, and have had people innocent of the crimes they were being accused of sentenced to death.

Can you tell which prosecutors are honest and which are dishonest? Since there is no reversing the death penalty, the only rational thing to do is stop allowing State and/or federal government executions. At least until you can devise a fool-proof means of distinguishing between honest and dishonest prosecutors.

Because until that happens you are putting your entire faith in the honesty of a government prosecutor. When they tell you that someone committed a certain crime, you believe that they can actually prove it beyond a reasonable doubt honestly. I do not have that blind faith like you apparently do, and never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies