Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,479,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sometimes it's about keeping everyone else safe.

The death penalty eliminates the possibility of a particular person committing a repeat crime.
So would life in prison without the possibility of parole, and it would be cheaper in the long run.

We should abolish parole and bring back "Truth in Sentencing." If someone is sentenced to 5 years in prison, then they serve 5 years to the day. No "time off" for good behavior, only the actual time served counts. In many States a "life sentence" has become a joke. A "life sentence" today mean they serve 7 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole. That can hardly be construed as a "life sentence."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,906,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here is the issue
almost 100% of prisoners are deemed unfit to work.
so your recommendation in our lawyer driven system is not very practical.
since almost nobody ever actually get executed death penalty really does not pose much of a threat
now how to get a low prison population instead of a high one.
for that you have to ask people that have low prison populations
how bout a bagdad prison warden????
my point
populations that are not into punishment have very high prison populations

Crime should equal punishment which should be a deterrent. No true deterrents = crime.

The federal government forced every state's hand so they have for profit prisons rather than state run prisons. This insured the prisons would be filled at all times, especially with 10 year sentences for having a joint in one's pocket.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,906,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
To start off, I am not strong for or strongly against the death penalty.

That being said, instead of giving the DP to the most heinous of criminals, I firmly believe there is a better way.

Here it is:

Killers, rapists, and terrorists should all be subjected to life in prison without parole in a federal work camp. This special prison system would be run military style and be located on federal land in Alaska. It would be in pretty much run like a gulag.

In this place, the worst criminals in the country would be banished and forced to labor eight hours a day, six days a week in the harsh climate.

Furthermore, they would be denied television, computers, exercise equipment (as if they’d need it) and most other comfort items. Their mail would be screened, and they would only be allowed a few visitors per year.

If the criminal did not cooperate with the work detail, his food rations would be cut, and he would be placed in solitary confinement.

Does anybody seriously think that this would not be a worse punishment than death my lethal injection??

Also, the deterrent factor would be huge. Many killers don’t really care whether they live or die. They don’t value their own lives because many of them have nothing to live for. But faced with a life of constant pain and deprivation in a labor camp such as what I propose, would not some of these degenerates think twice before pulling a trigger or brutalizing a woman?

Think about it...........A painless four-minute drip versus a painful multi-decade banishment.

Which would you pick?

That'd be a no-brainer to me, thats for sure.

PLUS......The work camp sentence is revocable.

If a terrible mistake is made and the convict turns out to be innocent, the convict is still alive.

The mistake can be undone. No system is perfect.....but why kill people when you can sentence them in a more punitive way?

Does anyone disagree with me???
Can't agree as it isn't feasible.
The soft hearted people of this nation aren't in favor of deporting illegals back home, you want them to agree to this?
As has been said before, the lawyers are salivating.
Execution immediately after sentencing would be best. No appeals, no nothing but hearing the trapdoor drop open and the rope snap taut.
Even it would be the most cost efective manner of dispensing justice it is infeasible because of liberal public outcry and salivating lawyers.
We are stuck with what we have because people are afraid to follow through with anything. Dispensing justice is one of them.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Think about it...........A painless four-minute drip versus a painful multi-decade banishment.

Which would you pick?

Someone long ago said it was inhumane, slavery.

I say good! Repay the State for your crime, idiot!

I see less money spent on road repair.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,716,325 times
I would fully support this. See, the big difference between most death penalty supporters and myself is the belief in the afterlife. I don't believe in god or hell, so killing someone isn't exactly punishment. You die a painless death(usually) and that is it. So for me, it is much more of a punishment to be forced to endure a miserable existence than to be executed.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
No when someone is demeaned deserving of death penalty it means society doe not want that person among them even in prison. Prisoners never earn their keep and no sentence is final except for death penalty. Its not uncommon for a murder to be turned lose to murder again; plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies