Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 10:22 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

Here in West Virginia, Secretary of State and Senate candidate Natalie Tennant was criticized for possibly violating election law when she held a rally at the courthouse in downtown Charleston which is an early voting location and she was criticized by the media by it. I hope this affects here negatively in the race as this state is important in increasing the Republican majority in the House and trying to retake the Senate. There have been articles about "electioneering" at the polls.

So in your state, what counts as electioneering. Is it okay for a voter to wear a tshirt with the name of a candidate on it? What about issues? When I lived in Maryland illegal immigration and the Dream Act were major issues so I remember wearing a Border Patrol t-shirt to a primary election and a baseball cap that says Secure Our Borders along with a picture of a gun on it (2nd amendment right are also under attack in Maryland). Recently at the primary here in West Virginia I wore a Confederate flag baseball cap and a Don't Tread on Me t-shirt to the polls and nobody said anything. This year I plan on wearing either the rebel flag or the secure borders thing plus bring my Bible into the voting booth if they let me. This is an important election and I feel very strongly about my beliefs. I also happen to personally be a victim of Obamacare.

What are the laws like in other parts of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Here ya go...

Let me Bing that for you!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,459,477 times
I've never seen any of the polling place people comment on anything--but they're mostly over 70 and probably can't see that far.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
My toilet.

I vote by mail so I can do all my voting while sitting on the toilet.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,794,799 times
Here in California, electioneering can be anything from wearing a tee shirt that is candidate or partisan in nature, campaign buttons, a pony with candidate posters taped over its hindquarters (yes it happened a couple of years ago at the poll where I was working) talking to voters when they are approaching the polling place (IIRC one must be 100 feet from the poll entrance in order so confront voters)

If there were a gun control measure on the ballot, 2nd amendment paraphernalia would be considered electioneering. Other than that, I would say you can bring anything you want into the booth with you, including a friend to help you fill out your ballot.

In other words, dont bother voters with campaign crappola when they are trying to vote.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 PM

671 posts, read 891,244 times
Electioneering is restricted differently in every state. It is the act of "selling a candidate" within a certain distance of a polling place.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
I believe many of these laws to be unconstitutional. I can understand not allowing a poll worker to wear a campaign button but I don't support the same restrictions on citizens. My right to support who I want follows me into the polling place IMO.

It's another instance where we should say we are going to refuse to obey.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Who goes to a polling pace these days? I haven't voted in person since 2000.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:31 AM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Who goes to a polling pace these days? I haven't voted in person since 2000.

I have voted in person since I was old enough to do so and will continue, on Election Day.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I have voted in person since I was old enough to do so and will continue, on Election Day.
Good for you, though I prefer voting by mail. I like being able to sit and relax while going over each thing I need to vote on. Sure it make take longer that way, but I am not holding anyone up while I read over each measure and candidate. In the end I feel like I get to make a much more informed decision voting on my own time by mail than I ever did going in and voting in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies