Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:57 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Will Free Public Transit Get Americans to Voting Booths? - CityLab
Could this be a way to improve our democracy and increase voter turn out? The state GOP got upset with Sunday early voting, this would really **** them off.
"More Voters" does not equal better elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Seems like you guys are saying that if you don't have the means for transportation, you're just s**t out of luck on voting day. Hmm, I didn't know that having money for the bus or owning a car was a requirement to vote. So, if I have an ID, and I really want to vote, but can't afford the $2.50 that day, too bad?
If one really wants to vote, then it's safe to say they know when the elections are.

I'm sure they'll have more than enough time to save up a whole two dollars and fifty cents before the election rolls around.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
First, make Election Day a National Holiday. ALL businesses MUST be closed, except for essential services (hospitals, fire departments, law enforcement). EVERYBODY ELSE MUST have the day off.
Then, make registering to vote MANDATORY, just like registering for Selective Service. If the voter moves, a new voter registration MUST be submitted within 30 days of the move. The voter registration card will be included in the Post Office Change of Address kit.
Then, MAIL a ballot to EVERY registered voter 30 days before Election Day. The ballots can be returned by mail or dropped off at the polling place or at the Elections Office. BUT they MUST be returned not later than 8 PM on Election Day. Any late ballots will be destroyed.

Considering all the computer hacking that has been going on, I think online voting at the present state of the technology would be a very bad idea!
While free public transit fares on Election Day may be a great idea, there is a LOT of the country where such public transit does not exist. What are those people supposed to do? Take a taxi? IF there is a taxi company available!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Absentee ballots - been around forever. Want to make them postage free? Fine.

If you can't make a little effort to vote, you don't need to vote.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
First, make Election Day a National Holiday. ALL businesses MUST be closed, except for essential services (hospitals, fire departments, law enforcement). EVERYBODY ELSE MUST have the day off.
Then, make registering to vote MANDATORY, just like registering for Selective Service. If the voter moves, a new voter registration MUST be submitted within 30 days of the move. The voter registration card will be included in the Post Office Change of Address kit.
Then, MAIL a ballot to EVERY registered voter 30 days before Election Day. The ballots can be returned by mail or dropped off at the polling place or at the Elections Office. BUT they MUST be returned not later than 8 PM on Election Day. Any late ballots will be destroyed.

Considering all the computer hacking that has been going on, I think online voting at the present state of the technology would be a very bad idea!
While free public transit fares on Election Day may be a great idea, there is a LOT of the country where such public transit does not exist. What are those people supposed to do? Take a taxi? IF there is a taxi company available!
They have compulsory voting in Brasil. It's worked out terribly. I really think doing so in the US would have equally disastrous results.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
They have compulsory voting in Brasil. It's worked out terribly. I really think doing so in the US would have equally disastrous results.
Please, go back and re-read my post.

Did you do that?

Now, explain to the readers exactly WHERE I said anything about "compulsory voting"!

Can you find it?

I didn't think so, because I VERY carefully did NOT write it!

I merely advocated mandatory voter registration for ALL citizens of the United States.
That's all, just REGISTRATION!
If one chooses to NOT vote, that is THEIR choice! I simply don't want anybody to have or use the excuse that they didn't have time or transportation or whatever and couldn't get registered in time to vote.

However, having thought further about it, perhaps it should be added that if three consecutive elections pass without signing in to vote, your name would be deleted from the registration rolls, and could not be reinstated for 5 years. If you don't bother to vote, you are either dead or just don't care. Either way, you should be deleted from the rolls.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:12 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
One would think. I wonder about the infirm, the disabled, and others who cannot leave their homes. I suppose that can do absentee voting or whatever else might be in place. But, there oughta be some way of voting online.

While I'm a firm believer in technology, guys like Kevin Mitnick make me realize that there is very little security online, and the last thing we need are more questions surrounding the validity of the voting process.

Absentee voting should cover those that cannot leave their homes. And for anyone else that is of sound mind and body, I think it's sheer laziness (and occasionally a bad work schedule) that causes people to not vote. My voting place is 1.5 miles from my house -- if I wanted to walk there, I could.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I would like to see national election day a holiday.

It is in many countries.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
We should include all Advance Voting & Early Voting Days Also (3 weeks).

For People who do not have Public transit available, a limo should be sent to pick them, Wait for them to vote and then take them back home.
Early voting is for the lazy. If you can't take time between 7 in the am till 7 in the pm to go and vote one day out the year then you don't deserve to vote.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:05 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post
I think the ol school GOP has their head up their rear end on this issue. And its why, even after 6 years of Barry, they're *still* struggling to get votes.

Some people never learn I guess...

A new breed of Republican was needed (6 years ago) but they just doubled down, and now here we still are.
ROFLMAO, yep after the results yesterday the GOP is sure having trouble getting votes. Some people just can't get enough of being wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies