Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
2016 would be the earliest.

It's Open Enrollment season for 2015 for large group insurers/ employers, who insure/ subsidize the majority of the people.

My crystal ball says ACA will be tweaked going forward, not appealed.

It will be de-funded via reconciliation and "wither on the vine" and collapse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
It will be de-funded via reconciliation and "wither on the vine" and collapse.
Like Doug McArthur did to Rabaul in WW2...

Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
Interesting view. I think the prime reason for the red sweep is precisely the substantial majority dissatisfaction with the ACA. And the fears of what full implementation might bring.
The majority of people are insured via their employer's large group healthcare plans. Employee share of premiums have been increasing by significant amounts since 2000. Despite the noise, ACA has not made much difference for the majority of insured people.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

1,632 posts, read 1,849,887 times
I doubt well see many changes, these guys that won all think it's a step to the White House for them , they'll surround themselves with people who'll tell them how great they are give them all big heads to go with their big pensions hoping to get a job along side of them , I hate to see these winners throwing their arms and fists in the air with their wife's stood besides them staring lovingly at them while their husbands girlfriends are in the background thinking how to spend his money Lol

Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,252,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
For any woman that voted republican -which means- stops equal pay--- what is wrong with you? Tell me your explanation, I want to know why. Make me understand the thinking. please
I am a woman and I make the same as any man with the same job in my middle class income level professional field of medical/technology...even more since I have more experience. Where do female workers make less than male workers in the same job? Primarily in the white collar professions: Chart: The many jobs that pay women less than men - The Washington Post We must consider that the retail sales figure on this chart includes many who work on commission which is greatly affected by the fact that the products being sold vary widely in value (for example cosmetics versus cars). I want my vote spent elsewhere...like for those who need help just getting through the day without starving and for a country that can continue to afford to help those who really need the help without creating a persistent culture of entitlement along the way the net result of which is dooming people to a life of dependence and drowning the country in debt. I am fine with women in white collar professions fighting their own battles in public and private as they have successfully done for many years. I would rather the gender bias at those higher income levels not exist but it's existence does not strike me personally as the utmost in importance. YMMV.

This can be a fabricated issue in some cases since unless the comparison is made between a man and a woman in the same job, other factors can account for the bias. For example, many more men than women enter the relatively high paying field of engineering. I only mention this because recognition of this fact logically reduces the impression of a wage gap.

I am more than a woman. I am a caring human being with a brain and thus the ability to realize I don't live in a perfect world and never will and thus must choose my battles carefully.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yep. That is the way I see it. Wash, rinse, repeat.....So, come on republicans! Prove me wrong! Live up to your "small government" mantra;

1. Repeal... not fix... REPEAL Obamacare!
2. Work to repeal the Patriot Act and all of the other unConstitutional agencies that have come from it.
3. Get tough on illegal immigration. Cut out the gravy train that provides incentives for them to come here illegally. Go after businesses who continue to hire those who are here illegally.
4. Stop meddling in the Middle East in perpetual never ending wars, and constant nation building. Keep that money wasted over there at home!
5. Stay away from social issues, out of people's bodies, and out of their bedrooms in an attempt to legislate morality and focus on the fiscal issues that are harming this country! A good start would be to repeal prohibition of cannabis, and get out of the marriage business. If you truly are "conservative" then you should understand that the government has no business telling people what they can consume, or who they can marry, regardless of how YOU feel.
6. Find a way out of NAFTA!
7. No more bailouts!
8. Explore serious tax reform where EVERYONE is paying, and not just the middle class! Flat tax would be the way to go! That means those who are able-bodied to work, but won't do so and are on the government dole, as well the mega-corps who receive their own form of bennies all are paying into it.
9. Speaking of taxes, step up the pressure on the IRS for their targeting of Obama's political opponents.
10. Step up the pressure on Eric Holder for his roll in Fast & Furious!
11. Restore more power to the individual states.

So... put your money where your mouth is, and get to work!

Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The majority of people are insured via their employer's large group healthcare plans. Employee share of premiums have been increasing by significant amounts since 2000. Despite the noise, ACA has not made much difference for the majority of insured people.
What you describe is my personal story. Doesn't mean I can't see the writing on the wall. I am not alone.

Where did you get your figures? From 2013 Summary of Findings | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation "Employer-sponsored insurance covers about 149 million nonelderly people.1 To provide current information about employer-sponsored health benefits, the Kaiser Family Foundation (Kaiser) and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) conduct an annual survey of nonfederal private and public employers with three or more workers. This is the fifteenth Kaiser/HRET survey and reflects employer sponsored health benefits in 2013."

Population of the United States: 316.1 million

149 out of 316 is not a majority.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:19 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They have NO CHANCE of taking back the House. I'm talking many years here. What with redistricting of 2010 and more to come with a bigger majority, there is no chance.

If GOP wins the 54th Senate seat, that drops the chances of Dems taking the Senate in 2016 to below 50%.

Who do the democrats have for 2016 other than that old hag, Hillary?
Its not redistricting..Its gerrymandering. Look it up and educate yourself

Old 11-05-2014, 10:51 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
What you describe is my personal story. Doesn't mean I can't see the writing on the wall. I am not alone.

Where did you get your figures? From 2013 Summary of Findings | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation "Employer-sponsored insurance covers about 149 million nonelderly people.1 To provide current information about employer-sponsored health benefits, the Kaiser Family Foundation (Kaiser) and the Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) conduct an annual survey of nonfederal private and public employers with three or more workers. This is the fifteenth Kaiser/HRET survey and reflects employer sponsored health benefits in 2013."

Population of the United States: 316.1 million

149 out of 316 is not a majority.
Ahh I love it when a nitpicker gets it totally wrong.

NON-elderly US population is:
275 million

149 out of 275 IS in fact a majority

Old 11-05-2014, 12:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
lmao!

GOP fantasyland must be a fun place to live.

If it were legal to bet on elections, right this minute I would put all my money on

1. The Democrats win the WH in 2016, and

2. The Democrats take the Senate back in 2016, and

3. The Democrats win the aggregate House vote in 2016

and it would the safest bet I could ever make, the perfect trifecta.
There's no sense in even arguing with guys like him. They don't realize that politics are cyclical and despite the big Republican gains, their hand isn't really any stronger than it previously was so long as Obama holds the veto pen. Senate Democrats can force compromise, and the Repubs will have to acquiesce if they want Obama to sign their bills.

That said, I don't wanna throw water on the Republican's big day. It's definitely a good win for them and I think we should stand behind them if they intend to make legislation that's good for the country. And Congressional Democrats should NOT be obstructionists just for the hell of it...and Obama should work hard to find common ground with McConnell. That's his obligation.

All n all, I think this was a good thing for Obama. It's the kick in the pants that he needed. Clinton got it in '94 and his presidency got far more focused (despite the scandals) afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies