Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,254,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahh I love it when a nitpicker gets it totally wrong.

NON-elderly US population is:
275 million

149 out of 275 IS in fact a majority
I stand corrected. And happy to provide some love.

Although I still believe that many of those covered by their employer's large group plans can see the writing on the wall and are concerned. Most of my co-workers are since the future effects of the ACA are unknown and they worry about those unknowns. Without ACA we could count on a moderate premium increase every year...not welcomed but easily planned for. With ACA who knows what's gonna happen.

I just don't think the red sweep represents an intrinsic conservative shift nor a simple departure from the incumbents. I believe ACA is responsible. Just my opinion.

Why do you consider me a nitpicker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
Looks like CNN on this election night has projected a Republican controlled senate...and with the House controlled by Republicans.....what can we expect?

Better management? More executive orders? A defiant Obama? No-nothing congress ?
Wind your clocks back to 1954?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There's no sense in even arguing with guys like him. They don't realize that politics are cyclical and despite the big Republican gains, their hand isn't really any stronger than it previously was so long as Obama holds the veto pen. Senate Democrats can force compromise, and the Repubs will have to acquiesce if they want Obama to sign their bills.

That said, I don't wanna throw water on the Republican's big day. It's definitely a good win for them and I think we should stand behind them if they intend to make legislation that's good for the country. And Congressional Democrats should NOT be obstructionists just for the hell of it...and Obama should work hard to find common ground with McConnell. That's his obligation.

All n all, I think this was a good thing for Obama. It's the kick in the pants that he needed. Clinton got it in '94 and his presidency got far more focused (despite the scandals) afterwards.
I appreciate your comments.

We don't agree on too many things and that is OK.

"All n all, I think this was a good thing for Obama. It's the kick in the pants that he needed.'

I was hoping the same thing, unfortunate I heard his press conference yesterday and it looks he didn't learn a thing.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,899,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Not without some maniac Republican president who wants to strip health insurance from millions of people.

If you like your health insurance you can keep your health insurance.

If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.

Meanwhile, the employer mandate of ACA is not a factor as of yet and the real fun begins in 2015.

It will take decades to undo the damage this regime has brought upon this country - we have yet to fully appreciate most of it.
Wars are actually quite simple. You simply stop and go home. Too bad on one knows how to do so. Rewriting idiot laws and correcting the damage in their wake is another story. A lot of that is necessary.

Need I go on?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
If you like your health insurance you can keep your health insurance.

If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.

Meanwhile, the employer mandate of ACA is not a factor as of yet and the real fun begins in 2015.

It will take decades to undo the damage this regime has brought upon this country - we have yet to fully appreciate most of it.
Wars are actually quite simple. You simply stop and go home. Too bad on one knows how to do so. Rewriting idiot laws and correcting the damage in their wake is another story. A lot of that is necessary.

Need I go on?

If the GOP does not like the ACA then they can amend it, the problem with uninsured does not just disappear even if they could repeal the act. Immigration, Social Security and the economy should be the priority and they should look at the Simpson-Bowles recommendations as a starting point.

Wars are never simple once you start down the path, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq are far from simple, our intervention has consequences that are far reaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies