Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,964,148 times

Advertisements

American voters passed minimum wage increases and marijuana legalization in every state either issue was on the ballot. And numerous local elections approved sales tax increases and bond issues for capital expenditures. They did this while also voting for Republicans that fundamentally oppose these things. So OP might want to reconsider the assertion that Americans are "fundamentally conservative." Seems to me like we're pretty liberal and only have one alternative when casting a protest vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 02:02 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,207,151 times
America hasn't been conservative or center right in decades. Look at any poll on raising the minimum wage, gay marriage, abortion rights, raising taxes on the wealthy, protecting social security, universal background checks, not going to war etc. Not to mention the republicans have lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections(and will continue in 2016.)

It's not 1986 anymore

Old 11-05-2014, 02:11 PM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalboy14844 View Post
Very few Americans would walk into their neighbor's house, take money out of his wallet, and use it to buy health care for a homeless person. American citizens who want to help the homeless in their private lives (and there are many such), are far more likely to use their own money. Forcing their neighbors to pay instead is - dare I say it - un-American.
But you're fine with the GOP's desire to take money from you and your neighbors to give to the already bloated, wasteful MIC, eh?

Conservative my ass.

The only differences between conservatives and liberals in the US is the things they waste other peoples' $$$ on and what reasons they seek to grow government for.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 PM

135 posts, read 179,826 times
I couldn't finish your manifesto, but I would say don't get too far ahead of yourself.

America is a slightly center-right country. The GOP fielded, for the first time in awhile, excellent candidates and ran against a very unpopular incumbent. The people who won were not the wingnut detritus of 2010 and 2012 cycle who lost winnable Senate seats. The cycle was favorable, and they executed it very well - and hearing less in the media from a moron like Sara Palin actually helped the GOP.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with an individual's personal relationship with the constitution or your strange examples of intrusiveness with your neighbors - at the core, you need good candidates, good timing and a little less stupidity. Make no mistake, the country is getting younger, less white, and (sadly) poorer on a comparative basis to past time - a shift that benefits the left. The electoral defeats of 2012, 2008 and 2006 did not occur because Republicans were "not conservative enough" - far, far from it. Adherence to weirdo orthodoxy is like fielding a 7-9 NFL team - you aren't going to win it all, and you will convince yourself you are closer than you actually are. Mix in a little pragmatism where appropriate - even St. Reagan did when required.

By all means, pat yourself on the back for voting on the side of a runaway winner. Bask in the fact that the current President is ineffective, vapid and an easy target. But don't confuse what happened with your narrow view of conservatism; people like a smaller government that works and a robust economy. Your "Conservativism is what America is all about" view will probably not carry Ohio or Florida in 2016.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,608,381 times
If Democrats got the most votes in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections, can the country really be all that conservative?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,516,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Fiscally conservative.

Stay out of social issues, unless advocating more (not less) freedom, less (not more) unnecessary regulations. But stick to the constitution.
This I would support but not the hate-filled, far right GOP we see represented in the likes of Ted Cruz, Perry, Santorum, Bachmann, et. al. They wrap themselves in the Constitution whilst shredding it in their attempts to make this country into a Christian theocracy.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I couldn't finish your manifesto, but I would say don't get too far ahead of yourself.

America is a slightly center-right country. The GOP fielded, for the first time in awhile, excellent candidates and ran against a very unpopular incumbent. The people who won were not the wingnut detritus of 2010 and 2012 cycle who lost winnable Senate seats. The cycle was favorable, and they executed it very well - and hearing less in the media from a moron like Sara Palin actually helped the GOP.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with an individual's personal relationship with the constitution or your strange examples of intrusiveness with your neighbors - at the core, you need good candidates, good timing and a little less stupidity. Make no mistake, the country is getting younger, less white, and (sadly) poorer on a comparative basis to past time - a shift that benefits the left. The electoral defeats of 2012, 2008 and 2006 did not occur because Republicans were "not conservative enough" - far, far from it. Adherence to weirdo orthodoxy is like fielding a 7-9 NFL team - you aren't going to win it all, and you will convince yourself you are closer than you actually are. Mix in a little pragmatism where appropriate - even St. Reagan did when required.

By all means, pat yourself on the back for voting on the side of a runaway winner. Bask in the fact that the current President is ineffective, vapid and an easy target. But don't confuse what happened with your narrow view of conservatism; people like a smaller government that works and a robust economy. Your "Conservativism is what America is all about" view will probably not carry Ohio or Florida in 2016.
Brilliant! Very well put!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
American voters passed minimum wage increases and marijuana legalization in every state either issue was on the ballot. And numerous local elections approved sales tax increases and bond issues for capital expenditures. They did this while also voting for Republicans that fundamentally oppose these things. So OP might want to reconsider the assertion that Americans are "fundamentally conservative." Seems to me like we're pretty liberal and only have one alternative when casting a protest vote.
Not every state. FL voted no to legalised marijuana.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 AM

76 posts, read 57,772 times
This is quite fun to watch.

I pointed out that most Americans are conservative in their private lives.

Also pointed out that with some of them there is a strange an unexplainable conflict: Some of them live conservatively even as they vote liberally, violating the rules they would never cross in their own lives.

And what does liberal after liberal do? Points out that they vote liberally, so therefore they must BE liberal.

They must spend extraordinary amounts of effort to ignore the obvious point of the post: That how they live determines whether they are conservative, not how they vote.

These people are even more desperate and despondent after the election, than they were before it.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:29 AM

76 posts, read 57,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I couldn't finish your manifesto
Have you considered night school for adults?

They take anybody. And often benefit their students greatly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies