Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe marijuana is harmless
yes 67 45.27%
no 68 45.95%
I don't mind weed, but I hate potheads 13 8.78%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,181,269 times

Advertisements

Do you believe marijuana is harmless or hear people claim that it is?

I hear this over and over from people. Obviously marijuana can have have negative effects on the body and impair judgement, but I seriously hear people parrot this nonsense that it's "harmless" constantly. I even see stupid pro-pot propaganda on FB claiming weed is harmless, not addictive, and causes 0 deaths. How can people actually be this stupid? I guess the kid I went to HS with that drowned after getting high and thinking he could swim across the Willamette River didn't get added into that statistic. I've smoked a ton of weed in my life, and I'm 100% in favor of legalization, but people like this blow my mind.

Can't we just legalize it on the basis that there is nothing wrong with adults responsibly using marijuana in moderation to get stoned. I seriously think it would get legalized a lot quicker if pro-pot folks took that approach. I think that by trying to convince people that weed is harmless or some wonder medication just puts a lot of people's BS meters on high. It just sounds like a bunch of hippy counter-culture nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Its far less harmful then prescription medications and alcohol. That said, no one under 25 should smoke. That makes me hypocritical because I smoked well before that, but the science shows that before 25, the brain isn't fully developed, and you really shouldn't partake.

I'm a engineer for a top cell phone carrier, graduated with a 4.0 in college and I'm an air force vet. I smoke pot quite often, although I'm on a break right now for other reasons. Your mileage may vary

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,523,663 times
why is this up for debate? Doctors should be able to decide what to prescribe their patients.

if they make SYNTHETIC properties of cannabis pills, then obviously there IS medicinal benefit. right?

this is rediculous

Old 11-05-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
why is this up for debate? Doctors should be able to decide what to prescribe their patients.

if they make SYNTHETIC properties of cannabis pills, then obviously there IS medicinal benefit. right?

this is rediculous
It has medical properties just like alcohol does, but trying to legalize it for recreational use on that basis is just silly. 99% of people smoke dope because they like getting high. The medical properties of it are greatly exaggerated to push an agenda. I know a couple people that have a medical marijuana cards, and both of them habitually smoked before they got the card One of these people is my sister who takes it for anxiety, yet she freely admits that smoking weed often gives her anxiety......huh?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:28 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times
Well, what constitutes as harmless is important here. Just about everything we interact with can kill us in some way, rather you eat too much chocolate or dropped your hair dryer in the bath tub. Or maybe you drove your car into a telephone pole while texting; what killed you? The pole, the car, or the cell phone? Really, an argument could be made for either (less so with the pole). In fact, you need water to survive but you can technically OD on water!

As for marijuana; it's all about moderation and 'thinking,' an apparently dead art. If a doctor sees reasons for marijuana to be used, he might actually know a little bit more about it's benefits vs. it's consequences than our elected officials with the scientific literacy of an average 4th grader.

But even for recreational use; thousands of people die every year from alcohol related accidents or overdoses. To my knowledge, there isn't a single account of a marijuana OD. I believe you'd need to consumer over 30 lbs of it within 15 minutes to kill yourself with a marijuana overdose.

Point is, it's clearly not harmless, but in terms of things you can do to your body that are bad, it's pretty low on the list. I'd put it in with driving at night.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Very few claim it's "harmless". This same theme is brought up every couple weeks with the same concept and it never proves itself out.

The argument is that the harm is far less than the harm caused by criminalization.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,404,242 times
my brother died from smoking dope daily

Old 11-05-2014, 07:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,015,869 times
Marijuana isn't harmless.

You'd literally have to smoke a whole joint laced with other drugs (PCP or Coke) in the 60's, 70's, & 80's to feel the same effects you get off of 1 or 2 hits of today's weed. Its gotten that potent.

Sure there is a thing called tolerance, but even the most seasoned stoner's can get to the moon off a few puffs.

1-2% THC back then compared to 5-8% nowadays with modern methods of growing.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:41 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,793 times
Too much of anything other than organic foods can be harmful. Too much climate change crap can be harmful. Regulated use may be less harmful and that's the beauty of pot. If you can't roll 'em it's hard to smoke 'em. Okay... not really.

It was a heck of lot easier to learn French in college being absolutely stoned. My final exam grade - late to the exam, went to the wrong place, finished first... all under the influence - brought up my semester average to B+.

And if more people really realized the number of people who smoke, they'd be worried for the entire country. Though the way people like to worry themselves silly, it's a good thing they don't know.

And to TheDusty's post above...
Quote:
it's all about moderation and 'thinking,'
...exactly. Pot helped me through a critical time in the mid-70's. I guess I could have gotten some psycho drugs from a psychiatrist but then I'd just have been a crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Marijuana isn't harmless.

You'd literally have to smoke a whole joint laced with other drugs (PCP or Coke) in the 60's, 70's, & 80's to feel the same effects you get off of 1 or 2 hits of today's weed. Its gotten that potent.

Sure there is a thing called tolerance, but even the most seasoned stoner's can get to the moon off a few puffs.

1-2% THC back then compared to 5-8% nowadays.
Uhhhh, I've smoked all those decades... and NO.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Very few claim it's "harmless". This same theme is brought up every couple weeks with the same concept and it never proves itself out.

The argument is that the harm is far less than the harm caused by criminalization.
Just take note of the poll
A couple hours from now at least 30% of the people that respond will click that it's harmless. That means about 1 in 3 people responding to this thread actually believe that

I definitely think that things like alcohol oe prescription pain pills are more of a threat, but the idea that smoking a mentally addictive mind altering substance is completely harmless just seems laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies