Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 10:18 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
In some countries there are laws that state once you hit 18 you have to receive some mandatory military training for x number of years...
And those countries are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:41 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
As who is 19 and former JROTC student, I find a list of problems with idea
1.Where are we going find the money for all of this?
2. it conflicts with the 13th Amendment
3.Military is not for everyone
4. Most people who my age are not bad kids
5. The wars nowdays are waste of lives, time and money.
6. There are so many problems with Vets, we focus on helping them out.
I am not serving country who cares about money , power , and oil over helping people archive freedom.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:50 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
And those countries are stupid.
no, they are not stupid, it is another form of training....
there is nothing stupid about learning, how teamwork is so important
or how to build confidence, how to stay focused, how to survive on very little, how to support a team mate, and how to strengthen character....the military teaches responsiblity, which most parents do not do today...kids today, don't have to get jobs, don't have to do chores, do not have to even clean up their rooms, todays kids are bored b/c of their parents.....

Life is a learning experience, and the more one does, the more confident, focused, intelligent, and responsible, a person will become.

I told my son, there is no job that you will do in life, that won't teach you anything, so experience as many jobs as you can, travel, as much as you can and see the world, that in itself is an education.....

People today have no clue....they think, b/c they are out of school, or college, they know all there is to know...

and to use a word like stupid...well......
tell me, why are they stupid....explain in your own words....

Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
In some countries there are laws that state once you hit 18 you have to receive some mandatory military training for x number of years, unless you're disabled or have some kind of illness of course. So at least in America if men and women had to undergo some kind of military training at 18 would you be for it?

On one hand, I could see how some could view this as going against the constitution, but on the other hand, it sure could help at least get people in better shape and some skills.
Absolutely not.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Sommie789 As who is 19 and former JROTC student, I find a list of problems with idea
1.Where are we going find the money for all of this?
We found the money before, when it was then a law....

Quote:
2. it conflicts with the 13th Amendment
How so?

Quote:
3.Military is not for everyone
There are jobs in the Military for everyone, even computer jobs, cooks, etc., mechanics, security...you cannot even begin to imagine, the start this would give most of our youth....

Quote:
4. Most people who my age are not bad kids
No one is saying they are, however, there are a lot of bad kids out there, why are they bad, b/c they have nothing to do with their lives, they have no enthusiasum and nothing to look forward to, and usually have parents that should have never been parents....the military will give them a feeling of belonging, an education and so so much more then they ever dreamed of.

Quote:
5. The wars nowdays are waste of lives, time and money.
Yes, I believe you'll find that most people agree, but we're not for this to send anyone to war...we're saying this b/c American youth has become so distorted in their way of thinking, so like individualists....so lost...

Quote:
6. There are so many problems with Vets, we focus on helping them out.
I agree, we should focus on doing a much better job there, and it's been going on since WWII.

Quote:
I am not serving country who cares about money , power , and oil over helping people archive freedom.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:13 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

We never had universal conscription. We had selective service selection to fill holes not filled by volunteers

Old 11-07-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
We never had universal conscription. We had selective service selection to fill holes not filled by volunteers
Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it was from 1940 to 1970's?

The government chose who was to come in...to fill certain jobs....yes...however, it was a draft....and I believe we should do this again....it would certainly help a lot of young people....and maybe punch a whole in poverty....it would be in itself, a very good education, maybe less crime as well.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think it was from 1940 to 1970's?
The government chose who was to come in...to fill certain jobs....yes...however, it was a draft....and I believe we should do this again....it would certainly help a lot of young people....and maybe punch a whole in poverty....it would be in itself, a very good education, maybe less crime as well.
That was never universal it was selective. With the opt out because the military had no need.The OP theorized a post high school mandatory training for everyone.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:11 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know I faced far more dangerous situations working cell sites in downtown Detroit at night then I ever did on the flightline. Well, except that time that moron cranked up the HF antenna coupler while I was still onboard and it was unshielded. I've had two kids since then, so I guess a little microwave never hurt anyone
Quote:

How so?

There are jobs in the Military for everyone, even computer jobs, cooks, etc., mechanics, security...you cannot even begin to imagine, the start this would give most of our youth....

No one is saying they are, however, there are a lot of bad kids out there, why are they bad, b/c they have nothing to do with their lives, they have no enthusiasum and nothing to look forward to, and usually have parents that should have never been parents....the military will give them a feeling of belonging, an education and so so much more then they ever dreamed of.

Yes, I believe you'll find that most people agree, but we're not for this to send anyone to war...we're saying this b/c American youth has become so distorted in their way of thinking, so like individualists....so lost...

I agree, we should focus on doing a much better job there, and it's been going on since WWII.

I'm sorry you feel that way.
I think that it will better have more job training programs and bringing back blue collar field than forcing people into military.
Military is not everyone because some people are not fit in mental or physcially
I know a lot of people who joined the miltary either love or hate it.
This is confusing time for all of us.
I will support the military when they go the right reasons.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That was never universal it was selective. With the opt out because the military had no need.The OP theorized a post high school mandatory training for everyone.
Yes, and I am for a post high school mandatory training for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies