Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well then I am sure we will see a flood of right wing bills flying off McConnell's desk and onto the Senate floor to be voted on without any concern for filibusters now. And I am sure you will be blaming McConnell when that doesn't happen.

This is gonna be a funny year on city data watching right wingers figure out who to blame.
The senate has historically been the body that openly debates issue . In order to,do that the leader must bring it to the floor for debate. The 60 vote rule is to,close debate called cloture. A cloture vote gets senators on record . If they do not get 60 votes for cloture to end the debate the you have a fillubustor. Dirty harry would not bring it to the floor to debate . He was afraid of putting dem senators on record to,close the debate and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Repealing Obamacare forty times doesn't count as forty "yes's". The GOP is the party of "no" because that's their religion. What should government do about the problems facing society? "Nothing!"

Old 11-07-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Repealing Obamacare forty times doesn't count as forty "yes's". The GOP is the party of "no" because that's their religion. What should government do about the problems facing society? "Nothing!"
Can you list the house resolutions that repealed Obamacare

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM

803 posts, read 1,668,130 times

Old 11-07-2014, 02:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The senate has historically been the body that openly debates issue . In order to,do that the leader must bring it to the floor for debate. The 60 vote rule is to,close debate called cloture. A cloture vote gets senators on record . If they do not get 60 votes for cloture to end the debate the you have a fillubustor. Dirty harry would not bring it to the floor to debate . He was afraid of putting dem senators on record to,close the debate and vote.
Any Senator can stop a bill preventing Reid from bringing it to the floor. I am not sure why you think this will be different for McConnell, but it will be funny to see if you guys actually blame McConnell like you blame Reid now.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
I thought you said "List the balls"

Old 11-07-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Any Senator can stop a bill preventing Reid from bringing it to the floor. I am not sure why you think this will be different for McConnell, but it will be funny to see if you guys actually blame McConnell like you blame Reid now.
No a senator can not stop the leader from bringing it to the floor,it takes 60"votes to close,the debate on it an get to a final up or down vote

Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I don't think you read your link.
Sorry, I've been busy this week, let me rephrase it. heres a list of signed legislation that has gone through both houses, and been signed by the president. Its a large list.

The number that people claim harry reid is blocking is 400 (and its less then that, and more complex)....theres 352 bills, NOT 400, and its passed 124 bills this last cycle. For comparison the senate has passed 108 bills in all.....Of those the house has passed 40.....meaning 60% werent picked up.

That was in August. dont know about what the numbers are in the end.

But the bottom line is thousands and thousands of bills are going through, and very few get passed. Blaming Harry reid for a small % of them doesn't reflect the reality of our government and how it functions.

And bleh, Reids not my personal preference for the person I want representing me, so I kinda disliked defending him, but I want to live in reality, not base my beliefs on how much I might dislike someone.

Old 11-07-2014, 03:44 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Thank you for continuing to post on this forum. I, for one, enjoy laughing at you.
Are you sure it's not an internet puppet from a conservative member here, making a separate account and writing crazy stuff, trying to make liberals look like looney cartoon caricatures?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry, I've been busy this week, let me rephrase it. heres a list of signed legislation that has gone through both houses, and been signed by the president. Its a large list.

The number that people claim harry reid is blocking is 400 (and its less then that, and more complex)....theres 352 bills, NOT 400, and its passed 124 bills this last cycle. For comparison the senate has passed 108 bills in all.....Of those the house has passed 40.....meaning 60% werent picked up.

That was in August. dont know about what the numbers are in the end.

But the bottom line is thousands and thousands of bills are going through, and very few get passed. Blaming Harry reid for a small % of them doesn't reflect the reality of our government and how it functions.

And bleh, Reids not my personal preference for the person I want representing me, so I kinda disliked defending him, but I want to live in reality, not base my beliefs on how much I might dislike someone.
Who said 400 bills in this thread? You're either completely misinformed or basically a liar.....

BTW, don't care about the rest of your post.....it's nothing you can back up and just lip flap....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies