Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 02:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's my understanding that shop owners called the cops because he was selling cigarettes, illegally, in front of their stores which cost them business. Was this not the case?
Not on that day and it was the Mayor that had instructed officers to crack down on those not giving him a little taste of the action.

Quote:
Just because choke holds are "against policy" doesn't necessarily mean to me that they weren't appropriate.
There we go. There is no reason for me to continue any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not on that day and it was the Mayor that had instructed officers to crack down on those not giving him a little taste of the action.
Link?

What I remember reading was shop owners were complaining about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There we go. There is no reason for me to continue any further.
So, to make sure I understand this, you believe police policy is what defines what is good and bad?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:14 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Police were targeting Tompkinsville for illegal cigarette sales before Eric Garner's death, Bratton says | SILive.com

Quote:
Bratton added that the bodegas and store owners in Tompkinsville were consistently complaining about the illegal sales because they were losing money due to the illegal transactions. Cigarette sales were the big moneymakers for these local establishments, the police commissioner added.
NY Man Who Died During Arrest Attempt Allegedly Targeted For Selling Untaxed Cigarettes - Forbes

Quote:
Chief Philip Banks III – the top ranked uniformed officer in the NYPDsent an officer to investigate complaints about the sale of loose cigarettes. Banks had received complaints about the behavior since March: one of those complaints specifically identified “a man named Eric.”

Old 05-05-2015, 03:33 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Link?

What I remember reading was shop owners were complaining about him.

So, to make sure I understand this, you believe police policy is what defines what is good and bad?
You made my point for me.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree it is odd that there were no more post to this article. It is a great article by an American hero IMO.

And to PedroMartinez, the defense of bad cops is that unarmed victims are blamed when cops kill them and people say said vicitms "deserved it" due to some minor issue in their pasts.

If you haven't done so, read the OP article. Serpico mentioned how when he was a cop, he never saw a need to shoot unarmed people and that he even disarmed someone who had a gun when he was off duty and the person wasn't killed. Also that it was NYPD policy to fire "2 warning shots" then chase a subject down, not just shoot them in the back.

No matter a suspects background, if they are unarmed, then there is no justifiable reason to kill them in the minds of most people I would imagine. Police are trained to use fire arms and can shoot to wound, not kill, Serpico also mentioned this. They also have batons and tasers they can use to subdue aggressive, non-armed suspects.

Our culture today still believes and defends these rogue cops to a degree where good cops like Serpico and the many others like him are silenced and made to conform to corruptibility.
Firearms training has advanced by leaps and bounds since 1973, and "warning shots" are now almost universally considered a bad idea, for a lot of reasons.
Massad Ayoob On Self-Defense: Are Warning Shots A Good Idea? | The Daily Caller

Also no competent firearms trainer teaches 'shoot to wound,' whether for cops or for armed citizen. Instead current doctrine is that you 'shoot to stop' the person who is trying to kill you. The idea is not to either wound nor kill the assailant, but to stop them from what they are doing, thus allowing you to enjoy one more day of life on planet earth. If an assailant only merits 'shoot to wound,' then they should not be shot period. What if while shooting for their leg, arm, etc. you miscalculate and shoot them in the head?

Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
But I wander what he thinks of the lynch mobs and calls for killing cops ?If he believes in rule of law then he must comdem those people. Otherwise he is just another celebrity type. After all that is pretty much what he is and many did same thing didn't have a book and movie written about them. No offense to what he did but he isn't a legal authority really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies