Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 03:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Huh? Here we go again.

1. People shouldn't have kids they can't afford. We raised ours, you raise yours.

2. "Working mothers" sounds a lot like the latest PC term for "single moms," which leads me to...

3. Illegitimacy is the surest route to poverty.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Some companies offered daycare at work.
Abortion is women's choice
Adoption system is very mess up in american

Old 11-08-2014, 04:13 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Not just low income mothers. Working mothers as well. It breaks my heart when I see the new moms at my office come back to work after 6 weeks on disability pay -- they have to come back both to keep their jobs and because it's impossible to live on disability pay. I had a stay at home mom -- I'm only 26, and yet that seems like a completely foreign and impossible concept nowadays. The Boomers are truly the first generation to create a world where their children will never be better off than they were.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Not just low income mothers. Working mothers as well. It breaks my heart when I see the new moms at my office come back to work after 6 weeks on disability pay -- they have to come back both to keep their jobs and because it's impossible to live on disability pay. I had a stay at home mom -- I'm only 26, and yet that seems like a completely foreign and impossible concept nowadays. The Boomers are truly the first generation to create a world where their children will never be better off than they were.
New mothers do not have to go back to work, you could try living within your means.
no Mcmansion, no iphone27, no 70" flat screen cable tv, no brand new BMW every 2 years, no $90 a month cell phone
believe it or not you can live a happy, simple life.
It's all about the choices you make in life.

bill

Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Except your kind votes for politicians that don't actually allow women to have access to healthcare to actually make those decisions to not have children.
No politician has the power to do ANYTHING to stop (or even hinder) access to contraception.

The only power they have is to withhold support from bills that force OTHERS to subsidize someone else's contraception costs. And while this is the one thing I would actually support subsidizing with my taxes, it does nothing to limit access to contraception--both condoms and oral contraceptives are incredibly cheap.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
New mothers do not have to go back to work, you could try living within your means.
no Mcmansion, no iphone27, no 70" flat screen cable tv, no brand new BMW every 2 years, no $90 a month cell phone
believe it or not you can live a happy, simple life.
It's all about the choices you make in life.

bill
And those choices are not wrong but you have to live with the choices you make but that's ok. I chose not to downsize my life when I had kids. I am ever so thankful I didn't leave my job. I would have been royally screwed when I lost my engineering job if I'd counted on going back after the kids were older instead of working when they were young. I don't have a lot but at least I have what's in my IRA. I wouldn't have that if I'd decided to quit my job when the kids were little.

Now I could have downsized and saved more and wish I had now that I know my engineering career ended early heading into the recession of 2008 but those were my choices and it's my problem now. I'll just have to work until I'm 70 and I'll need to work two jobs to put my kids through college but it's my bed, I made it and I have to lie in it. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me. Just stating that I must now live with the choices I made. I worked part time for 3 years when my girls were little and if I could go back and talk to myself I'd talk myself out of that. I would also have lived as frugally as possible but I didn't. Now it's time to pay the piper.

Make the choices you want to make but remember that you and you alone get to live with the consequences of those choices. Don't expect someone else to bail you out.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Good news then, most career woman want to return to work after 6 weeks. I know I was more than ready. Don't cry broken heart!!

And I can speak from both sides. I had a second child because I knew I could afford not to work at that point and become a SAHM. A little thinking and planning in your life goes a long way.

I never saw kids, or pets for that matter, as a given that everyone should get to have no matter what. That sets me apart from 99% of the people in this country apparently.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:31 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Except your kind votes for politicians that don't actually allow women to have access to healthcare to actually make those decisions to not have children.
I have some information for you. You can actually buy condoms at most any drug store, grocery store, convenience store, and most bars these days. Not to mention that the morning after pill is non-prescription.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:24 PM

510 posts, read 430,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
The USA is pretty much ranked at the bottom of the western world for child well being according to Unicef.

Only Lithuania, Latvia and Romania are ranked lower, and they are not really even 1st world countries.

http://www.unicef-irc.org/publications/pdf/rc11_eng.pdf
The USA is also pretty much ranked at the top of the Western world for allowing in poor immigrant mothers and children. Funny how that works.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
The USA is also pretty much ranked at the top of the Western world for allowing in poor immigrant mothers and children. Funny how that works.
Immigration has NOTHING to do with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies