Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,980,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Please explain how those of us who have exactly one provider are supposed to do that.
Start one.

If I can, you can.

If you're not willing, stop trying to use politicians to force what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What I have to say... is evidence based and objectively true.
No evidence. Not objectively true.

Quote:
No, they do not.
Yes they do. You can browse their job listings yourself.

Quote:
No, they do not.

Both answers are based on objective fact.

The FCC is slow, incompetent, politically partisan, and extremely influenced by lobbyists.

I know that is fact, as well.
They are influenced by lobbyists, I'll give you that. At the moment they're being influenced heavily by lobbyists from Verizon and Comcast who want to drive a stake through net neutrality and kill it once and for all, along with some fake grassroots lobbying from people who are too stupid to know what they're doing. On the other side, they're being lobbied by companies who have an interest in a level playing field and by people who are at least semi-informed.

There is a reason that pretty much every person and company in the country who has a clue is on one side, and giant ISPs and a band of government-hating idiots are on the other.

You fall pretty clearly on one side - the uninformed, anti-government, screeching hysterics with no facts and no argument that is reality-based.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,411,623 times
Quote:
Start one.

If I can, you can.

If you're not willing, stop trying to use politicians to force what you want.
Yes, because people should drop their careers and start a ISP.....

you have got to be kidding me.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No evidence. Not objectively true.
There is no evidence of anything other than the truth of what I say.

Quote:
Yes they do. You can browse their job listings yourself.
LOL! Not one of those "engineers" writes regulations. Political ops do that.

Quote:
They are influenced by lobbyists, I'll give you that. At the moment they're being influenced heavily by lobbyists from Verizon and Comcast who want to drive a stake through net neutrality and kill it once and for all, along with some fake grassroots lobbying from people who are too stupid to know what they're doing. On the other side, they're being lobbied by companies who have an interest in a level playing field and by people who are at least semi-informed.
Your argument is that if someone doesn't like one specific form of something, it must be good. Amazing.

Quote:
You fall pretty clearly on one side - the uninformed, anti-government, screeching hysterics with no facts and no argument that is reality-based.
I fall on only the side of reality.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, because people should drop their careers and start a ISP.....

you have got to be kidding me.
If you're not willing to do what you insist should be done, you have no moral authority to try to force someone else to.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:15 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,679,492 times
Quote:
Since when did politicians have the slightest knowledge how to write laws that aren't fatally stupid?

Never.

It WILL be an issue.
No laws to write. Just declare them all as common carriers and the laws are already in place.

Those laws have already been written by bipartisan congressional action. FCC would just implement them.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Quote:

I actually deal with this kind of complaint regularly. Where a customer has a remote office connected somewhere else in the world/state/country and while they have a 20Mbit connection, they can't get more than 4mbit across. Why? Because the other office/site/whatever has a connection to someone whose peering sucks.
Irrelevant, that's the customers issue. If the customer is paying for crap connection and can't view my 6Mbps video it's their issue. If they expect a 6Mbps video and my server can't provide that it's my problem.

When they can view a 6Mbps video on one site and not on my site because the ISP is throttling traffic to my site now we have a problem.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
No laws to write. Just declare them all as common carriers and the laws are already in place.

Those laws have already been written by bipartisan congressional action. FCC would just implement them.
Can you read your own posts?

Those are laws.

They have myriad regulations.

They cost us billions with no benefit.

You want to add more to the cost.

Abysmally stupid idea.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Irrelevant, that's the customers issue. If the customer is paying for crap connection and can't view my 6Mbps video it's their issue. If they expect a 6Mbps video and my server can't provide that it's my problem.

When they can view a 6Mbps video on one site and not on my site because the ISP is throttling traffic to my site now we have a problem.

Do you really expect the politicians and lawyers and lobbyists to respect reality?

Come on, what kind of delusion is that?

Old 11-10-2014, 09:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

How do you stop the monopolies? DON'T BUY FROM THEM OR USE THEIR SERVICES!
That's like saying don't buy water or electric. There is some services that are essential and the internet is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies