Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,905 times

Advertisements

Not surprised to see uninformed posts about "freedoms" being taken away by this. Do people read anymore? Obviously not. Why read when we have Fox News? Murica'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,061 times
Right?

You might as well tell everyone to stop using the roads because they are upset with taxes.

You could also tell everyone to shut their electricity off and make their own power, you know, cause it's not necessary.

Could tell everyone to stop using phones because they want to make a statement... They could always knock on someone's door instead.

All of which are simply not going to happen. The people do have power when the majority are on board with the idea, the thing is people are NOT willing to go through that trouble and companies feed off of that.

The only way Comcast or Time Warner will get knocked off of their thrones is if someone else comes by and knocks them off and this is why we must encourage competition and not give cable companies the power to squish others.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I expect is no ISP is going to throttle a service I am using whether it's P2P or anything else.

Once the ISP is deciding what traffic gets priority we have an issue.
Sure you do.

Like I said, if you don't want bandwidth management, then you're going to have to pay bigger prices.

Because the infrastructure to provide you that "unmanaged" bandwidth costs money - passed on to you in the form of higher prices.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:58 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Sure you do.

Like I said, if you don't want bandwidth management, then you're going to have to pay bigger prices.

Because the infrastructure to provide you that "unmanaged" bandwidth costs money - passed on to you in the form of higher prices.
don't confuse net neutrality with bandwidth management.

1 - its not an issue. Look at any tech site, and you will find the real story is that data rates are falling like computers. . and that infrastructure to support data is cheap

2 - what really happening is . . .a pretend issue. So these companies are selling you 50mbs internet or whatever. Your lucky to get 25mpbs. And these customers all want netflix, its the most popular. Now that is the customers decision right? you give me 50mbs I should be able to spend it how I want? you promise me 50mbs. . you should have the infrastructure to deliver?

nope - because Netflix competes with the ISP for video. . .so they are going to either 1 - not build out to support their customer needs 2- de-priortize traffic from netflix 3 - all of the above. .

its a scam. Its not about congestion. Its about not wanting to be a dumb pipe and trying to throw up roadblocks to competition.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yes it is. There are places out here in Arizona where you have no option.
AT&T and Verizon have some pretty wide coverage for wireless broadband.
And then there is satellite as well.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:34 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
don't confuse net neutrality with bandwidth management.

1 - its not an issue. Look at any tech site, and you will find the real story is that data rates are falling like computers. . and that infrastructure to support data is cheap

2 - what really happening is . . .a pretend issue. So these companies are selling you 50mbs internet or whatever. Your lucky to get 25mpbs. And these customers all want netflix, its the most popular. Now that is the customers decision right? you give me 50mbs I should be able to spend it how I want? you promise me 50mbs. . you should have the infrastructure to deliver?

nope - because Netflix competes with the ISP for video. . .so they are going to either 1 - not build out to support their customer needs 2- de-priortize traffic from netflix 3 - all of the above. .

its a scam. Its not about congestion. Its about not wanting to be a dumb pipe and trying to throw up roadblocks to competition.
You are wrong.

Wholly wrong.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:56 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This situation is nothing like that at all.
It's about delivering a uniform product to all who use it. ISPs like Verizon want to provide better carrier speed to select customers who pay more than the rest of us.
The president is lobbying for the FCC to declare the ISPs as "Common Carriers" and insure there is no discrimination when delivering broadband to subscribers.

What, exactly is there not to like?
Of course, there will always be that element that projects paranoia and fear of any regulation, but that's par for the course.
I admittedly do not know much about this subject but on the face of it what is wrong with those who pay more getting more.
If I pay to stay at the Holiday Inn Express I don't expect the same amenities as staying at the Grand Floridian.
I know it is more complicated than that with questions such as is good fast internet service a right and others.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I admittedly do not know much about this subject but on the face of it what is wrong with those who pay more getting more.
If I pay to stay at the Holiday Inn Express I don't expect the same amenities as staying at the Grand Floridian.
I know it is more complicated than that with questions such as is good fast internet service a right and others.
You're misunderstanding the issue and adding in additional irrelevant questions.

It's not a question of pay more get more. Literally no one is arguing against that.

At issue is whether say, a gigabyte of Netflix should be treated differently than a gigabyte of Spotify or a gigabyte or cat pictures. Comcast and Verizon and the other big providers say yes. The rest of the country says no.

This is literally every informed person and internet company in the country against a few giant corporations and a band of anti-government morons without a clue.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
AT&T and Verizon have some pretty wide coverage for wireless broadband.
And then there is satellite as well.
Except when forced to, satellite is a non-starter. Latency makes it near-worthless for voice and wholly worthless for interactive apps - games and the like. It's influenced by weather, and it's expensive.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,342,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Except when forced to, satellite is a non-starter. Latency makes it near-worthless for voice and wholly worthless for interactive apps - games and the like. It's influenced by weather, and it's expensive.
You talking about latency with satellite or latency with cellular services?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies